Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just bought a new project!!! Stoked!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CYRUS, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Just bought a new project. 58 GMC 3/4 ton. Runs and drives (drove it home, RUNS GREAT!!!!) Its got the Straight 6 (270 I think) 4 speed (not sure of the trans, SM420 i think). Its a lot of fun, and if anyone has any ideas of good upgrades they think i should do, I'd like some input. Its gonna be my daily driver in nicer weather. Anyway, here's pix.

Attached Files:

2. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Congrats on your new ride. Check for rust at the bottom of your door posts.

You can post a couple side shots and have the Photoshop wizards have at it.

Whatever you do...Lower it!

3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

old trucks are way cool good luck with it

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

No excuse for saying "270 I Think". Look on the pad next to where the distributer is clamped down and read the first three numbers. If they are 270, that's what it is.

5. I did not know that, THANKS! It IS a 270!

32SEDAN:

Yeah, It's getting dropped. Speedway (and others) sell 3" lowering springs for a 1/2 ton, and I plan to go that route. If anyone knows if the 1/2 ton springs and 3/4 ton are interchangeable, please let me know, otherwise i'll order them and try it out.

Also considered swapping the generator for an alternator. The generator isnt putting out like it should, so i either need to replace, or rebuild it.

6. Kool truck These trucks are awesome with a 60's panel job

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

just have the gennie rebuilt. I expect to see some IH and Farmall decals on old girl, too.

8. nice score...got my eye on a 58 over by my buddy's house...great truck

9. GOOD CALL! I didn't think of that, but not a bad idea! I'm toying with the idea of swapping the SM420 trans for a TH350. If anyone has any experience here, please let me know. (i need to swap out the manual for an auto for the Mrs.)

No need to rebuild the 270. It runs 45lbs of oil pressure, and runs like a champ. I will keep it as long as it runs good. I have no need for a V8 truck, I already have my S-10 for that. This is purely for pleasure.

10. If anyone has any knowledge they'd like to share about swapping in a TH350 or an alternator into this truck, I'd like to hear it.

11. bryan6902

bryan6902

Ditch the trailer wheels and the outside mirror.

12. Wheels will be OK once i get some good hubcaps (thinking 57 Caddy Caps), as for the outside mirror, this morning proved its hard to drive without an outside mirror. it was a bit frosty, but i drove it to work anyway, and had a hell of a time moving to the left lane (on a 4 lane road) without the mirror. It was pitted and old. Once i got to work, the first thing I grabbed was a new mirror!

13. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Nice 58. Are you going to put a GMC grill back in?

14. S.Sutherland

S.Sutherland
    from Fontana,CA

Cool truck. Keep the generator, but have it rebuilt. WHile you're at it replace the regulator as well. Rear view mirrors are the same for 55-59... I believe, and are good looking to boot. There's a conversion kit that exists to mate a TH350 to a 235 Inline six, and since these are General Motors products I am assuming the bell housings would be the same. Patrick's in Arizona has a ton of Inline stuff and as a result are pretty knowledgable about stuff like this so i'd try contacting them. I'd go to some other sites related specifically to inline motors and hit the froums there up as well. You can also look at the classifieds at these sites to get an idea of what is out there. If you need any help, p.m. me. * Generators, regulators and manual transmissions keep it looking old. Rebuilt stock stuff works fine. I put a bigblock and automatic trnsmission in my 57 and wish I would've kept it.

15. kevinc

kevinc
    from highland

nice truck, i picked up a 59' gmc this past summer

16. Yes, as soon as I can find one. LMC doesn't sell one, so I gotta find a used one. I'd prefer chrome as I'm gonna run chrome front and rear bumpers and headlight rings.

As for the Generator, I plan to keep the motor all original, so I'm gonna get it rebuilt. Gonna try to re-polarize the generator first to see if thats why the light is on, but I've driven it to work for 2 days now, and even thought i love how it runs, I've got to have a better trans than the one I've got. A 4.75 gear and an SM420 equate to about 40 MPH redline. Fun, but, SLOW! :)

17. And I've decided that I'd like to restore this truck with only a couple mods for safety and driveabilty. A modern auto trans for the Mrs. and a different rear end for a better gear than the 4.75 thats in it now. If anyone has any info on what rear end will fit this truck that is still an 8 lug, please let me know.

18. kevinc

kevinc
    from highland

19. mudbog42

mudbog42

Nice truck, I just bought my dad a 56 Chevy 3/4 ton in October for his birthday.
    Good luck with the build.

20. And as for the width? As far as I know, all 8 lug wheels have the same bolt pattern, but as far as the width of the axle is concerned, is there a specific application that I should be trying to find?

21. Mick AV-8

Mick AV-8
    from MA.

Cyrus congrats on your cool truck. I sold my 30 Roadster and spent my money on a 56 F100..I never thought I would like a truck this much. Besides when ever I see old pics of the lakes or salt flats..it has either a Roadster or a truck in the mix.
    Besides I wanted a roof and some heat as I am in NE.
    I also have the white wagon wheels..as another said to ditch them..
    I was wondering if anyone had pics to share of some trucks with various hub caps for suggestions as I would like to just put caps on mine like you mentioned.
    Post a few more pics of the rig if you can.

22. kevinc

kevinc
    from highland

im not possitive, but i got a 70s 3/4 ton dodge with a dana 60 rear, so ill get the measurements tommorow and compare em with the rear on my 59 gmc and post em up

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Old trucks ROCK! Great find!

24. Just did the one wire, self-exciting, 63 amp alternator conversion tonight. The damn thing works like a charm. I got a conversion bracket from the eBay, and it was PERFECT! Its amazing how well this truck runs when there's a full 12.5 volts running to everything! :D I'll post up a couple pix this weekend. Here's a couple pix of the bracket.

Attached Files:

25. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Congrats on the alternator deal, have you solidified a plan yet?

Mine would be disc brakes, later model steel truck rims with trim rings and centers, and a trip to Maaco. You'd have yourself a fine ride.

Caddy caps on a longbed 2wd, I dunno but the mind's eye pictures it trying to be something it's not. Longbed 2wds look good with things like big truck sized tires. Truck style rake. Ground clearance to drive over curbs and thru ditches. You know, truck stuff.

Think about an overdrive trans and using the rear you got. Otherwise if a squarebody chevy truck is the right width they're a dime a dozen

good luck, cool truck

26. I've been a bit all over the place with my plans for this truck, but i finally have a CONCRETE plan for him. Fo' Sho' :)

Thanks, I'm totally happy with the Alt.

Yes, we got a plan. I say "we" cuz the Mrs. is involved, and I agree with her 1000%. We are going to restore the truck to showroom condition, with the exception of a better rear gear for highway cruising, modern wiring, and alternator. It's gonna have the 7.10X15 split rim wheels and tires, Harmony Gray with Dover White paint. (original grayish green and white)

Full restoration otherwise. Who knows, someone may need a 3/4 ton push truck when I make it to Bonneville (life dream!)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  27. This is a restored 4X4 that I just love. It looks original as hell and I hope mine looks as good as this. THIS is my inspiration!

Attached Files:

28. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

In response to your original question regarding ideas, I would highly reccomend the factory style brake booster if you do not already have one. Since you are going to do a semi restoration I was thinking that the drum brakes may stay. There is nothing wrong with them as long as you are using the brake booster. Good luck, I've gotta 58 short bed 3400 and a 59 flat bed one ton.

29. I'm keeping the drums. They work just fine in this winter weather crap we're having here right now, so I see no reason why they won't work in the summer months. I don't drive like an idiot in this one, (that's what I have my V8 S-10 for) so I will just enjoy this old boy....

30. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Ooh! Congrats! I LOVE these trucks.