Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford ignition tumbler removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kickstarter, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Is there a trick to removing the tumbler from the switch? I have a new one with a key, but I can't get the old one out. It is a 1960 F100.

2. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

If its anything like the 60's bronco one i had to pull apart, your going to need a paper clip and the original keys for the old ignition. Put the paper clip in the little hole towards the bottom and turn the key to the "on" position and it should just come apart. If you dont have the keys then idk... haha.

3. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I don't have the key for the old one, might be a problem.

4. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

if you dont have key take any key or metal piece that will go in an knock off all metal except 3/16 sticking up on end that goes in first mabe 1/4 inch long. jiggle up/down in/out while turning (kind of like THAT first time in the back seat of the old mans buick) and it will come out. please dont ask me how i know!.....

you could also try with new key...of course while doing the paper clip thing

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008

5. flatheadjohn

flatheadjohn
    BANNED

Worst case scenario is you'll have to carefully drill it out to remove the actual parts (don't know what the technical name of these parts are though) that the key aligns with in order to make it turn. Once you get that stuff out of the way it should come out easily.

6. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

pins/tumblers/wafers.....depending lock type yours probably brass pins/split to line up with key cuts. if you get old one out, take apart. interesting .

7. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

There is no little hole on this switch to use a paper clip.

8. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I think on the 60s ford pick ups there is a spring or a button you need to push in while turning the key all the way to the left..should be located on the ignition housing its self behind the dash. Cant really remember.. been along time since I replaced one..

9. BigChief

BigChief

I think your thinking of the headlight switch knob/shaft assembly.

-Bigchief.

10. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

more then likely I am..had to replace one of those as well on my truck the same time I had to do the ignition..course that was a long time ago, and now I suffer from C.R.S.. so most likely I'm wrong..ha!

11. If you have a complete new switch use a screw driver pry the chrome bezel off un screw the nut & replace unit

12. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

you should be able to look at new switch and be able to tell how it comes apart. are we all thinking you are just replacing the cyl and not whole switch. if entire switch chrome trim may just unscrew......if you cant figure out call locksmith or vince or dale at abc lock and key in henderson/vegas and tell him his brother bob steered you there...will look at my 56 car tomorrow

if you have entire new switch you do have to turn rt or left to take apart as the man said but you should see something happen that tells you how to take apart. button/hole for paper clip etc

13. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Just replacing the cylinder not the whole switch.

14. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Well the plastic on the back of the switch crumbled apart., so I replaced the switch and tumbler. With the switch out there is a slot with a brass pin sticking through. Push down on the pin and, wala the tumbler comes out.

15. Damn, Sorry I didn't read this first in line. I could have told you to take a pair of needle nose pliers and just Pull the little Pin out. No need to turn anything.
    The Wizzard

16. Many thanks to Pist-n-Broks for the tip on pulling the pin. It worked like a charm. The replacement is in and the switch turns. Sometimes it is the little things that make life better.