Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I need some Super Stock lettering ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Nothing too over the top. But, early-mid 60's type Super Stock lettering idea for this. It's a 389/tripower/stick shift. Thanks cats and kittens.

[​IMG]

2. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

How about the "389 C.I." in big letters on the hood. Also "Engines by Groucho" in some funky Roth style lettering on the front fenders? Maybe "Stugot's Pontiac....Burbank" on the quarters

3. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

cc.

Attached Files:

4. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

Headers by Doug on the front fenders.....it needs a catchy name on the quarters too. Like:

The Pontent Poncho
    Flyin Indian

5. PURFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it. Stugots Pontiac....Brooklyn

6. What's under the SS stick on the front fender in the 3rd pic? Do you have a clearer view of that one?

7. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

DON't And I Repeat Don't Get some point & click computer "sign-guy" wannabee sign artist to letter it. That didn't exist back then. Too many great cars being ruined with the first thing you notice...Bad lettering ....un- authentic , period incorrect type faces and lousy layouts. Find an OldSkool "SIGN ARTIST" that still uses a brush.

8. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

That car is perfect I wouldn't letter it unless it a fifteen footer and you need something for the eyes to catch before they overanalyze the paint

9. My buddy Larry Fator's the guy. He does all my Gasser friend's cars. He did the recently restored Mondello Fiat Topolino featured in TRJ a few months ago. He's also got the beautiful yellow 46 Chevy Sedan Delivery Gasser, also featured in TRJ a while back

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You just know some smart arse will say.
    CUMDUMPSTER

Ah, shit. I guess that would be me then! :rolleyes:
    I knew there was a reason I never asked what I should call my Gasser!!

Doc.

11. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Looks like Rat Rods Suck .

12. thunderplex

thunderplex

...like this?

Attached Files:

13. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Grouch, I just want you to know how much I hate you...I want a '60 poncho!

14. willys33

willys33
    from New Mexico

If you find a REAL sign painter he (she) will be able to do several things for you. First, they will be able to pick the right font, second they will be able to use the space to best display the lettering and they will add drop shadows to make it pleasing to the eye. I had it done to my Willys sedan delivery and it came out perfect. He chose Early Barnum font, layed it out nice and painted it in no time. Last of the sign painters who know which end of the brush to use.

15. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

Man that is a great Pontiac!
    Larry is the guy...
    How about a fat bellied cartoonish indian somewhere on that Poncho....
    Have fun with it..way cool:D

16. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I'd put some Goldleaf on her somewhere

17. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

cc ...

Attached Files:

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Its your car, but I agree with this guy............how about just some lettering and/or time on the windows in case you change your mind later.

19. I agree too, but the paint's not that good. 5-10 footer

THANKS!!!!!!!

hahahahahahahahahahaha

The paint ain't "all that" so it's not gonna be an issue to letter it. I think the condition of the paint will lend itself perfectly to some lettering

20. more ideas

Attached Files:

21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

What about (PONTIAC MOTOR DIVISION) on the top of the quarters and (389 TRI POWER) on top of the front fenders,and maybe
    (Luke Pontiac Company. Arlington Texas) in smaller lettering across the back of the trunk lid.
    Put the window sticker in the window at shows cruise in etc. so it shows that it came from luke pontiac and seems to have been a factory/dealer promotional compitition car.

22. brandon

brandon

nah...skip dougs... how about balanger's instead...m/t prepared etc...

rollin' commotion
    tall chief '
    smoke signal
    brandon:D

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

24. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I like the lettering on these. Gotta keep it simple, it's easy to go overboard.

Attached Files:

25. injectedA

injectedA

and a small thing…water decals. I got these at Garlit’s museum but there is someone selling them on that auction site, different sizes available.

Attached Files:

26. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

I have heard about some lettering paint that is available now that you can wash off. Anyone have a source for it?

27. Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Dino the weirdo [​IMG]
    DON't And I Repeat Don't Get some point & click computer "sign-guy" wannabee sign artist to letter it. That didn't exist back then. Too many great cars being ruined with the first thing you notice...Bad lettering ....un- authentic , period incorrect type faces and lousy layouts. Find an OldSkool "SIGN ARTIST" that still uses a brush.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I don't even know you, man, but I just gotta say that I love you and I want to have your children!!! :D

And I'm a dude, so you can see the kind of commitment I'm making here.:rolleyes:

No matter what you decide to put on it, it will look so much better if it's hand lettered enamel, even with a few clams in it. Vinyl is just too cold and sterile and perfect for a job like this!

28. Yes, I put one of those on yesterday
    What's vinyl?

29. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Either you don't know (computer generated vinyl cut lettering)Or ....."Thats The Spirit" ....Plenty of great ideas submitted...why the Bad Piant talk...can ya buff it out ? or go for a cheap single stage enamel "Scuff & shoot" ?

30. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Hey twotoejoe,
    I've had good results with acrylic craft paint from Michael's art/craft store.You can mix white Elmers Glue in it for an extender/base(shake the paint containers like crazy to mix the paint up good.It seperates terribly over time)
    and brush letter like you would with One Shot or Ronan,(do they still make that stuff?)
    Acrylic medium works well too for the paint base but is difficult to find in the liquid form now.The artsy stores all sell the toothpaste consistency stuff.
    The acrylic paint will wash off after time,sometimes it takes some elbow grease and muttering to get it to disappear.

Bitchin' thread!

"Pounce' your pattern to paper and start swingin' that brush!