Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just My Thoughts About The HAMB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBobb, Dec 2, 2008.

1. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

This site used to be freakin awesome! now its just an online poll with people who dont have a clue what they like and want others to either tell them as well as appraise the crap they have in the backyard. used to have a lot more build threads tech and custom coverage.. now its shit like

"remember when?"
    "whats it worth"
    "what color should I"
    ''should I chop"
    ''hambers who surf"

Get a clue.

2. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

I would like a list of the people that are forcing you to stay here.

3. I like cars. All kind of cars. Mine aren’t particularly HAMB friendly, but I like watching the builds and some of the discussions. I’ve come to recognize some of the folks that have the knack and I always read their posts.<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p

One of my first post was inauspicious, whom I kidding, it started a frenzy.

I received a reassuring email that said this in part,<O:p</O:p

“I just wanted to drop you a quick note to let you know that the HAMB can be a very harsh place. You have to have very thick skin around here if you want to post about things that outside of their "traditional" comfort zone. There are some VERY talented people on this board. If you take the time, you'll notice that the most talented of the bunch are also the most easy going. The people who get in the biggest hissy over things like your Swedish hot rod post are usually the ones with the least talent of the bunch.”
    I found this to be true for the most part; the folks with real talent are helpful and patient with people that genuinely try.

This person has been one of my favorites ever since.

4. 61bone

61bone

Never got no cookies, but have learned some and hope I have helped some.

5. the hazing deal use to be done on purpose to weed out the looky lous, passers through, and wannabees. those who stayed were the real deal. true fans and builders of the traditional movement. i have no idea why ryan would put up with the bullshit he has over the years, he dosn't have to, he still has to go to work everyday like the rest of us, then come home and deal with a bunch of crybabies (myself included from time to time). he has worked real hard to stay the course here and keep this thing 100 percent traditional hot rods and kustoms. kudos to you ryan and your patients. lets don't forget marcie either, thank you too, i'd be willing to bet you've paid your do's also to keep this going. thats my thoughts on the H.A.M.B.

GERM got me first, i didn't know if i should laugh, cry, or just hide. you newbies should have been here when he was leading the welcoming committee.

6. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

I get murdered on here all the time,and have wanted to leave lots of times,these guys have no marcy on some of us,I now know from what everyone has told me,I'm not a real Hot Rodder,Im a Street Rodder.F them all.

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love it here !
    The HAMB is like family to me.

8. scoop

scoop

I'm sorry your sorry.

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

There's a lot of great info here on the HAMB.There's also some outright bullshit that makes ya laugh.
    As far as it being a tough place,well,it's an internet sight.Anyone can be tough typing on a keyboard.One click and it's all gone.

10. Back in 64, (Oh Crap here he goes again) I joined another really tough groupe only while they were teaching you mechanics if you didn't get it or heed the warnings some one would give you a face to face ass kicking. This seems like a bunch of great folks to me.

11. henryj429

henryj429

In less than 2 years on the HAMB, I've:
    - Been reamed for the typical FNG term usage errors
    - Raised shit and had a thread or two yanked
    - Found some awesome deals on parts for sale
    - Sold a bunch of parts to fund my projects
    - Absorbed a ton of good info from some very talented builders
    - Given up a little good advice of my own
    - Met some great people.....in person, and
    - Not posted a picture of my Street Rod.

On the last item....I own a bunch of cars - original, restored, traditional rod, street rod and late model daily driver.

Just because you love traditional rods, doesn't mean that EVERY car you own has to be a traditional rod.

Go ahead and dive into the HAMB for your love of traditional rodding - there's lots other sites for the other stuff.

12. This joint reminds me of how it used to was at the parts counter, y'know - 15 minutes or so before the dealership opened up? Mechs of all ages and every walk of life, some with a coffee & a cig, others with roadmap eyes and lookin' for hangover meds... New kids getting their nuts busted by the oldtimers and talkin' everything from tech stuff to which office worker has the nicest set of... dishes. Think I learnt more about mechanics and mechanickin' at that parts counter than I ever could've in any book. I got some stripes, but I think I left a few along the way too. Lots like the HAMB. now what are those words to coombya?....:eek:

13. boldventure

boldventure

Oh I shouldn't...but I gotta...but I shouldn't...
    You must..you must...
    A face to face ass kicking, now that's just funny I don't care who 'ya are...

14. Wolfie

Wolfie

Ok Folks, I've worked and known and still know some of the absolute best in the business when it comes to hot rods, kustoms, etc. I'm in no way an "Ego Freak" and I think that those who know me will tell you that. To me the H.A.M.B. is a GREAT thing for the experienced or the inexperienced, if you need some info.......JUST ASK! Is that so hard? I've found parts, I've found friends and I've seen a LOT of cool cars and revived a lot of memories! Oh yes, I was born in 1941 so I guess that qualifies me as a "Geezer"! The youngsters that need an education can always ask any of us that have been around awhile and dif you don't like the answer, ask someone else! When I was 18 years old, I knew EVERYTHING! Now that I'm in the autumn of my life with only 25% of my heart left functioning, I seem to have turned into a real DUMMY! I'm a U.S.Navy Vietnam Veteran, former musician in L.A.and Orange County in the 1960s and early 1970s and finally got into radio as an on-air DJ working for Buck Owens in Bakersfield. Today I live entirely on social security and every so often someone will ask me "Didn't you save anything for retirement?" Of course the answer is always "nope" But I've got some memories that no amount of money can buy! I guess in a way, I'm getting a little of track here but the H.A.M.B. is really a lot of info for me and a lot of parts available and of course a lot of GREAT people! I've worked for Bell Auto Parts, Mickey Thompson, Holman-Moody Stroppe and have got stories that will never end!
    Thanks for letting me rattle on folks, Wolfie loves ya!

Wolf

15. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

FNG here and I love the TOUGH LOVE.

16. skyrodder

skyrodder

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Dad was also in the Navy before, during and after Vietnam. Were you on the Enterprise or Midway by chance?

18. jerry

jerry

I feel fortunate to have found this place when it had less than 150 total people!

Those were the days of newbies getting their ass handed to them! Just ask Lulabelle or Shiva69 about theirs. they both stuck around after, alot didn't.

SamIyam, I do remember those secret messages.

Anybody else remember the H.A.C.K. Hokey Ass Car Klub?

Those were the days.

So many memories!

jerry

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...wonder if I can file a workmans comp claim with the hamb for the 15" I've gained in my ass from being on here so much?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. I've have my ass handed to me by lots of ppl here, and by the boss, himself, no less. I learned my lesson, and I absolutely LOVE it here, and thats why I kept coming back. I will agree that it can be tough sometimes, but there is absolutely NO BETTER PLACE ON THE INTERNET FOR TRADITIONAL HOT RODDING ADVICE AND KNOWLEGE THAN THE H.A.M.B.! Nuff said.

21. Is that hole, depth or overall butt width?:D

22. You think you got reamed! Be glad GERM isn't on any more!!! He was known for "gutting the weak".
    I love the HAMB,and have learned SOOOO much since joining...

23. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

now that there's funny. i don't care who you are! (larry the cable guy)

24. My buddy's dad,Rich LeNarz worked at Bell Auto Parts. Did you know him?

25. Wolfie

Wolfie

No Denise I was on the USS Ashtabula, an oiler. We refueled a lot of the carriers out at sea tho. We also would go into Tonkin Gulf and pick up guys to take them out to the carriers to fly back to the States for discharge.

Wolf

26. Wolfie

Wolfie

Yah, I did!!! Rich was one of my good buddies, in fact, I lived with Rich when I first was getting a divorce from my first wife!!!

Wolf

27. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

The H.A.M.B. is great, I jumped in and it was only ankle deep, but, I jumped in head first!

28. WARNING: I'M A LONG WINDED SOB!!!!!!!!!

this seems to pretty much sum up why i'm here.....except as ya all know, MINES A TOPOLINO:D ........THE DREAM FOR ME......i must admit, i did the Hamb just as i have everything in my life...looked...and then decided if i liked it..although i only looked for about 20 minutes...then i did the intro thing..then i posted...guys here were laughing at what i was starting with..a modle A frame...center support cut..missing 14" off the rear and a A axle....but they ain't laughing no more....no it's not a perfect "TRADITIONAL ROD"..HEY I WANTA STOP FAST, SO I GOT DISC BRAKES UP FRONT...big deal...safe...flaming??? so far i have a problem with just one guy here as far as flaming goes..and i think he's just a shit stirrin lil bitch..no poverty, it's not you:eek: (inside joke!!)..help??talented people here??like i never would have dreamed...i used to think Foose was the end all...well he's good, but damn, stuff here is just mind altering...the help end, well i was invited here by Maddog..seen his post about his topo on other forum...1 i joined years before but never went back to, i just was doing my usual topo internet search....he told me this place rocked..then i seen Rich Venza was a member here..we've talked a few times over the years of my droolin for a topo...and he's the #1 guide in my topolino journey/project...name me someone who knows em as well..and is as willing to help get another topo up and running...if they exsist they are low profile about what they know...shame on them....hell i even got my topo steel body via the Hamb...again i say thanks to you for pointing me in the right direction to get such a sweet car, lil buddy:eek:...drama??..hey it's the internet..drama queens surface at a rate of 500 billion per micro second on the net....and finnaly , THE TRADITIONALIST OF THE HAMB...... i don't agree with what some here try and call tradional, ie elec fuel injection ect....i think that's just their way of trying to fit in,,,or maybe they just don't realise how close they are to being a GC'ER...or strret rodder...but that's my OPINION...big deal, right???right..support the Hamb??YOU BET..i've bid and won Hamb auctions, joined the Alliance and bought swag from the store...thankfull Maddog told me about THE HAMB...supportive and willing to help ya out???damn straight!!things have been done for me by Hamber's that i just don't think these people will ever realise how important what they've done is to me...THANKS GUYS ;)...so what's the Hamb from my take on it...i wake up everyday and go from the coffee pot to the Hamb,, i go to work and come home and go to the Hamb...oh yeah, the search thing..i've asked in the help section on how to search using more then 1 word..never did get a reply, so lets see who reads this long ass post and responses to that one...
    anyway, thanks Ryan, did ya ever think it would become what it is??a great place....THE PLACE!! ya i'm a long winded sob...so what hahahha...

LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING AND ENJOYING MORE HAMBER'S AND HAMB HAPPENINGS........

29. His son Mike is one of my best friends! What's your name so I can ask him if he knows you. You must have known Gary Wise and Fritz Voigt too!