Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just bought the Black Panther custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gup, Nov 30, 2008.

1. nice save! i'm currently helping with a 50' lincoln custom from black diamond wa. that was in nov. 62 hot rod and dispayed at the 62' worlds fair in seattle wa.. i need to update the pictures in my webshots.

2. I saw that a few swap meets for sale, and always wondered why it hadn't sold. Cool 50's custom , any one have a shot or scanned image of the car in it's hay day ! But I'm sure it will look just like it did again fifty years later. congrats !

3. Is there a link to the CL ad just for the curious? Nice find.

4. Was it in the Black diamond yard back in the woods thats run by the old man next to the old insurance lot?

5. I like it.. about the only thing I'd change is put some wider tires on the back so they fill the wheel arches a little better and see if I liked how that looked.

And now the guy has room enough he doesn't have to keep his Studebakers all in a pile...

6. THIS Black Panther?!?! If so lord that is really really cool.
    [​IMG]

7. Yep. That's the one. Anyone have anymore photos of the car?

8. chadman117

chadman117

9. Wow great deal, i would have shit myself If I had found that when i first started looking for a 50s chevy.

10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

where is that wrecking yard ????????????? .. steve

11. Looks to be a few other cool projects for a fair price also.

12. the lincoln i mentioned has been in the possesion of a friend for the last 30 years. its getting some metal work done by joel johnson of grand mound wa. i will get some updated pic's soon.

13. customcory

customcory

Jesus, I wish I could have found this one. This is my favorite fifties custom hands down. I've wondered all my life what the body mods were because my old little mag its in was printed to dark to see anything!Now I'm going to go back and read the thread:D. Restore this one back just like it was, PLEASE!:D

14. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Very cool find. Good luck with it!

15. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Another one saved, good luck with the rebuild.

16. customcory

customcory

Well , with these pics I can finally see what the front end was like and why the black hid some of the modifications. This car had a lot of little handmade parts on it. I think Joe Balion liked to hand make parts. You need to get hold of Balion to get the details of those bumper and grille parts, unless they were all still with car. This car went for 2900 dollars! I probably wouldn't have the money to get it anyway, but that was a deal! This car was completely different from the barris style of the day.The day I found it in a little mag really blowed my mind. I'll help you find some of those wire hub caps if you put them back on.;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  17. lehr

lehr

gup Do you know the guy from your town that built a salt flats streamliner I cant remember his name...unbeliveable metal shaper.. Pat

18. All the parts are with the car still...and it sold for far less than 2900.00.

19. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

very cool car, glad its been saved.
    please keep us posted on your progress

20. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Good to see someone get it it's been for sale for quite some time

21. john walker

john walker

looks like jerry templeman's stash. i've known about that stuff for years. mostly junk though, with a couple of exceptions. i looked at a 40's lincoln there about 15 years ago. kind of an old custom with wierd interior, no motor, kinda moist.

22. gup

gup
    from Washington

Yes, that would be Jim Hume. Metal God !!!!

23. lehr

lehr

I second that..He's got a nice chain saw too !
    Do you have any pic's of that gold A ?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  24. Wow thanks for sharing the link, car went for a great price that gives the new owner a lot of room to do the car up.

25. Oldsmopile

Oldsmopile

I was at Jim Humes today! His work is alright, if you're into having your brain melt when you see it. As far as your car Gup. I wouldn't have wasted my time on that chevy. You should've bought that bug chassis with the fiberglass MG body on it. Maybe you can paint your chevy pink and call it the pink panther.

26. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gup Im glad you got this car..

I met the old guy you bought it from a few weeks ago when I looked at a mild custom '53 chevy he is selling (with the most hideous taillights ever) and he showed me pics of the panther really trying HARD to sell me on it...

What are your plans for it? I wanna see it!

27. I was looking at a Custom Cars annual from 1957, James Potter and George Barris, Trend Books 133, she is on page 54. It's a one page feature in the annual. Has the original owners name , and city listed( ok 1957) Some nice pics( front and rear) Interior shot, small details( taillight pic) Who would thought that was 1949 Chevy at one point, cool car ! Glad you have it Gup !

28. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

What a great find but it's a Chevrolet. I'll let that go for now. You've done well my friend. Great score. How did I miss that? Oh, I don't look for Gm stuff on craigslist. Now I'll expand my search, cat's out of the bag............ Thinking outside the box is GOOD!

29. gup

gup
    from Washington

My plans right now are just focusing on getting the body sandblasted and start repairing the floor, its in real sad shape. As far as the styling of the car goes, I am not changing anything from the original photos except maybe the wheels.