Register now to get rid of these ads!

rhino liner type paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ian Berky, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

What do you guys use for trunk and floor paint? i want to do it in that rhino liner type paint but the brand name is way too expensive.

thanx

ian

2. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

I bought Walmart's stuff.
    Around $45 a gallon. I did
    the bed of my truck, that
    shit is tough!

3. iamspencer

iamspencer

I've done this type of stuff on alot of 4x4s ive experienced that the brandname stuff is the way to go, and you really ahve to rough up the sufaces ALOT and clean it for good adheasion.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

ive seen what the cheap stuff is like..I got the rhino liner on my 02 chevy truck bed..been beat the shit out of for 6 years..logging, concrete, refractory brick..shovels tools..saws.stone, engines...you name it..not one hole or any problems with it..life time warrenty too..any problems they will fix it..
    go cheap and you will be sorry..but i guess it depends on if you like to do things twice or not..
    just remember it cost so much more to do it right the second time...'cause they gotta charge you to get that other crap off and than prep it to do it right.

5. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Hey thanx guys!! I should mention that i don't need heavy duty coating, it's only to make my trunk and floor pretty and clean. I've seen pics on here of trunks that looked like they were grey and black speckled and it looked neat. It might not be the rhino liner type but i know it's textured.

ian

6. Eastwood sells kits for original looking trunk paint. Has a base color, then that splatter look finish.

7. belair

belair

The cheap stuff will be ok for a trunk. It doesn't like sunshine or much abuse, though.

8. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Works for me!!

Thanx
    Cool!!

Thanx

9. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

The Rhino Liner stuff goes on at about 1/4" thick and would take a pretty good grinder to get off.. I would use the trunk spatter paint for what you are looking for... like the stuff they used in the 70's....

10. F1James

F1James

I tried the spray can auto zone type on some running boards.It holds up to ware well but fades fast from sunlight.Should be ok for floors or trunk.

11. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

awesome!!!!

12. If your looking for the stuff with flecks of color in it, its called spatter paint. I think you can get it from duplicolor. We used it to spray our trunks and firewalls when I was a kid.

13. I use Plasticoat bed liner from NAPA.

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

We had the "smooth" version of Superliner sprayed on the the underside of all 4 fenders and the up side of the runningboards on the 32 3W. The boards still look good after 2 years, the underside of the fenders even better when they get washed.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

oh..shit for a trunk..yeah that other stuff will do fine..the rhino liner would be over kill for sure.

16. blueovalpwer

blueovalpwer

I use a brand call UPOL, I believe its called Raptor Liner. Excellent stuff, holds up very well. Not too pricey, about $100 for a kit that will do a few cars. Available at most paint supply stores.

17. i used hippo liner on the '36 for underside of floor, fenders, running boards it hasn't seen the road yet but it was about $80 for the 2 part epoxy.

18. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

For the floors, I would use a good bedliner. The "good" ones come with an activator, so they harden up real nice. any of the name brands will be fine, SEM, Rhino, Southern Urethanes, etc. I would stay away from the single component ones, like Duplicolor, they are NOT as tough.
    For the trunk, if you are looking for a nice finish, as well as toughness, do a search for "Zolatone". It looks like trunk paint, but is MUCH tougher! Comes in many more color combinations, than trunk paint. Trunk paint is not very durable, it's water based, so if your trunk gets wet, and stays wet, it may come off. They do make a clearcoat for it, but why bother if there's better stuff out there. You can even mix Zolatone colors to get the combinations you want. I use it on my own cars, and friends cars, and it looks great for years.

19. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

great info!! thanx a lot!!

20. The trunk paint ( with the differant flecks in it) is called Zolotone.
    Available at any paint supplier.
    About $35 a quart

21. ryno

ryno

i remember a spray paint called fleckstone that gave the same effect as ziolotone, if its good enough? shit i dont know.

22. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

If I was just wanting to paint the trunk using spatter paint, I would use one of these, I have used the Black/Aqua before, but it was an OT 70's Muscle car... Which is what most of this paint was used in... For a HAMB friendly car, I would probably use with body color or or satin black. IMHO...

http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/duplicolor_spatterpaint.html

23. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

I use tintable bedliner by SEM. Nice product, not too expensive and its tintable so you can make it pretty much any color. We use it alot on undersides of fenders to eliminate crowsfeet from rocks flinging off the tires. So far good results.

24. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

I just sprayed Southern Polyurethane Bedliner on the underside of my '35, and I have to tell you I absolutely LOVE this stuff-it's way better than the Bedliner the Dealership put on my new Z71 GMC.

I don't like the brick hard stuff, or the super rubbery kind-it's in between, and it turned out like I'd been doing it for Years. It's tintable, and the Gun they offer gives you the ability to spray it smooth or textured. I would HIGHLY recommend it-

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Photos/spi_070202_0292.jpg

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Product Info/Bedliner 1050-1.htm

25. Speedliner is good and a bit cheaper than Rhino