Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My wife is at it again, and I have pics to prove it!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Oct 28, 2008.

1. I would think an 1800 Mazda Miata motor would be a good one too .... Can do all kinds of stuff with it and it is a hell of a motor .. 6 speed too ... Nothin' HAMB'er about this .. lol !!

2. Aint it funny how life turns out?
    Morris Minors were very common here in New Zealand, being as how we predominantly had Pommie cars here. There are still quite a few of them on the roads here, mostly driven by little old ladies. We have MMs lying in long grass like you guys have.... um..... er...... American cars! :D
    I never thought I'd see the day they appear on the Hamb without so much as a murmur........ Dont get me wrong, I think they're quite cool in their own way, I've even had two of them in days gone by.

3. Velomech

Velomech
    BANNED
    from nunya

Homey, Your wifes car turned out awesome, AND, shes a badass! I wish she was the majority. At least my 11 year old daughter digs working on the fifty8. Man, dont screw up, theres gonna be a hundred guys on here dying to fill your shoes! LOL!!!!

Cheers and beers
    Hodge

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Nice Mo Minor project . It'll be a fun one . I scanned through the thread as best as I could , but I wanted to tell ya that the engine is actually most like the Sprite/Midget , not like a Mini engine (there are definate differences) . Luckily , there are gobs of go-fast stuff for the Sprites too . Wheel hop will be an issue when you add power to the Mo , no doubt . The rear springs like to "wind up" . I've seen a few Minors with 5.0 Ford motors in 'em - they fit under the hood once you get rid of the stiffener under there .

I built this one for my brother some time ago (still has it) , it's a '61 . It now sports an overbored 1275 with dual SU carbs , a "ribcase" sprite trans & a Sprite 3:9 rear , poly bushings all over and disc brakes up front . It's a fun-as-hell car to drive . Good luck with yours ... er ... your wife's ;) .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. michaelthe9

michaelthe9

You are very fortunate to have such an enthusiastic wife. She, the car and the kids are all beautiful. I can't wait to see how that Morris turns out. Those floor pans look pretty sad. Good luck.
    Michael

6. DaleBland

DaleBland
    from Liverpool

Hi there.
    I live in the UK. There are lots of these cars still around. I have been told that it is possible to buy replacement panels for every section of the car. I have seen the semaphores that you have on your car but in the UK they are normally higher up te pillar. I think that they worked by turning a handle in the car and the semaphore stuck out. Most cars here have them replaced with indicators.
    There is a lot of stuff available in the UK. I think that there is an book about the engine by David Vizard. It was probably the first car in the UK that was made for the man in the street. You can even get a woody version.
    Good luck.
    Try morrisminoroc.co.uk
    Ps. I prefer the chevy

7. I like how the starter switch works on a morris. You grab the knob and pull on it to engage the starter. A great safety feature.
    Here's my old '61 bone stock with dropped torsion bars and bigs and littles.

Attached Files:

8. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

How did I miss this thread?

A 1275cc and a datsun 5 speed with the rivergate kit will do great in this car.

Very cool car!

9. EDSROD

EDSROD

i have a 61 morris minor delivery van on ebay check it out if it dont sell ill post it on here

10. Krylon King

Krylon King

Dig your wife's Chevy. Can't wait to see what she does with the Morris.

11. sololobo

sololobo

Wow gorgeous!! and so is her car and the twins!! Really dig her choice of two tone on the BelAir. The Morris is so trippy, ie. Megan, I can just see her smilin and the twins in the back giggling as they cruz around. You guys never cease to amaze me with your cool builds etc. Big fan!!~Sololobo~

12. GlenC

GlenC

Lots of souped up Morrie Minors downunder too. Here's a link that may prove helpful...

http://www.morrisdownunder.com/

The 'hot' setup down here is the little Toyota 4AGE 1600cc twin cam 4 banger with 5 speed manual box on the back. The 20 valve model can make up to 240hp from 1600cc with the 'right' mods and these have been the small engine of choice in basic and sporty Toyotas for a number of years, so should be plentiful in the wreckers yards. (And yes I know it's not HAMB friendly)

The classic engine of choice downunder was the MG 1800cc 'B' series, but I've also seen them with Ford (Simca) Sidevalve V8-60's in them. Now that would be a HAMB engine!

My wife wanted one until i told her I'd probably struggle to fit air conditioning to it, so she changed her mind.

Cheers, Glen.

13. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Propwash is right. I've had my share of Triumph's and the best you can do is just yank it all...literally, yank it out and replace it with Yank wiring.
    Ron Francis Wiring will hook you up fine for sure.
    "Riddle: Why do the British drink warm beer??
    Answer: They have Lucas electrics
    ...Vintage British bikes had Lucas electrics too, hence the old saying "Prince of Darkness".
    [​IMG]

14. Hellfish

Hellfish

We're currently looking for a 4AGE. The 20v were only in FWD cars, so the distributor would be in the back of a RWD car... thus in the firewall. It may be worth the modifications though. The trick is finding a RWD T50 trans from an early 80s Toyota Corolla (or was it Celica?). A 1275cc would be awesome and easy bolt in... but they don't exactly grow on trees in the US

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

15. The Chevy turned out bitchin'...looks like you have an awesome bride there and obviously a cute pair of twins (mine are 8 now)...that little morris will be bitchin' when you are done but with mom and dad at 6' and 6'5" I am sure those two little ones will outgrow the backseat in no time at all

16. lionsgarage

lionsgarage
    from Washington

A guy in town here has a wagon, (traveller?) with a 4.3 chevy and a 4 speed with a vega rear, fits great and drives fine with stock front susp. (may have extra spring rate though) What a great project.

17. Frank

Frank

There was a neat little pickup version of one at Decatur swap meet last year I sat in. Though I am 6'4", I have this odd fascination with cars I can barely fit in. I seem to remember getting in and out wasn't too big of a deal, but turning the wheel was an altogether different matter.

18. Skimmer

Skimmer

Thats an awsome lady you have there and talented........There seems to be a bit of a thing over here at the moment for Morris Minors ???..........There still quite plentifull just abit rotten....My Father in law has 2 pickups, 1 totally standard n the other modded......

19. would a vortec 4.3 v6 fit?

20. Wow, that thing has some nice lines as a custom, I like it!

21. Hellfish

Hellfish

A BBC will fit given enough cutting, welding, and re-engineering. :D The only motors that I KNOW will fit easily are other Brit small 4s, like the 1275ci Mini motor or the Toyota 4AGE. It seems like the firewall or crossmember are a major hurdle for everything else. We can't afford to lose any firewall, so whatever we use has to fit in the original compartment.

What's a 4.3 Chevy? From what I've heard, even the Echotech/Quad4/Zetech motors are either too long, or too heavy, or interfere with the crossmember and steering.

22. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

4.3 is the v/6 version of a 350

23. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

There is a pretty solid one just like that in a junkyard here in Fort Worth. It doesn't have a title so they won't sell the whole thing. :rolleyes: But they are hard to find. Wish I had known you wanted one, Marcy could have trucked up a pair. :D

24. A Quad4 would be cool, but there is room for a V6. Look at the size of the enginebay. Ive read somewhere, that they were deisgned for front weeldrive, with the engine turned 90 degrees over.
    Heres pics from the danish Morris Minor club:
    http://www.nmmk.dk/index.php?option=com_ice&Itemid=93&catid=1
    Lars

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  25. Buy one from Europe, we buy all the time from you guys
    Lars

26. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

The Minor was first designed with a flat-4 motor in mind, but that got canned at the last moment so they went with ye'olde A-series...

27. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

The upholstery is starting to show it's age :D

Nice score, they make cool looking cruisers..

CC

28. premium

premium
    from Goergia

cool lil ride.

29. lexman24

lexman24

Here's my 66 minor gasser. blown small block. It's never going to be sold ever, it has become a part of our family. Make sure and follow through with the project, you wont regret it. They are very fun cars. Good luck!!

Attached Files:

30. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Nice picture!

[​IMG]