Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coker Classic Tires Experiences

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aldixie, Dec 1, 2008.

1. aldixie

aldixie

Hi Guy's,

I'm about to get my car on the road after 4 years of work. I've been looking at tires and searched the threads re Bias versus Radials. I would like to keep the vintage look. I have been looking at some Coker classic G78-15 tires with the 2 3/4" white walls. Anyone running these?

This will be the my first time driving on Bias tires and most of the driving will be local in Texas and may be a trip out to VLV.

Your thoughts.

Alex:)

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Get the bias tires... be happy.

3. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

Purchasing a set myself for Christmas. Not to hi-jack but will these tires fit on stock 49-51 ford rims?

4. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Drive mine a lot,no issues.2nd car with them on,good people to deal with.

5. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

I got a set of L78s for the rears and 5650s for the frts , i had them for a year before i mounted them and they wouldnt balance, called them up and they replaced them without question and i did get the roadhazzard when i bought them originally i was really pleased with the service.

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

running 15 bias and love em on my 37.
    I can't see any difference in handling at all.

7. I rode on bias plys most of my life without a problem.Sure radials are better for handling,but for normal driving,I don't see why bias ply would not be a good choice.I just hate how they squeal when turning a sharp corner.

8. Don't know why some people feel the need to turn these conversations into arguments over bias vs radial. Run what you want.

To answer your question, I run Coker Classics on my '49, no problem. Coker is good to deal with too. I run Firestones on my '51, that I also bought from Coker.

invizibletouch, yes, they will.

Get an alliance membership before you buy from them; your savings will cover the cost and then some.

9. aldixie

aldixie

I've just signed up for an alliance membership. Looks like I'm leaning towards the Bias tires as they look better.

Alex

10. L-78's for many years with no issues here.

11. I have the Coker Classics on my truck,,,no complaints from me. HRP

[​IMG]

12. yblock292

yblock292

just put them on my shoebox, just can't beat Coker , talk to charlie , get your discount and life is good..

13. aldixie

aldixie

What size are you running on your 49?

14. moparjack44

moparjack44

Never run Coker, but I have a friend who has had on his 49 Merc for about 3 years. I have been looking at WW's, but seriously considering Diamond Back radials. 'Course, I drive the ole DeSoto a bunch, and everywhere.
    Jack

15. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

you forgot to add lobecks bad haircut and Peep mirrors

16. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I'm running Cokers, Not Classics, but Bias, so for what it's worth.

I'm using all 20" bias tubetype on two vehicles. Have been for about seven years. Have worn out a set of the 500x20 BF Goodrich brand on the fronts, the rears ,Firestones, are still going strong with nearly 7,000 miles/about half tread left. Have Excelciors on the front of my hotrod(see avitar). I only have a couple of hundred miles on them. No complaints.

I just put 650x20s on the rear of my hotrod, haven't had them on there long enough to say, but they ride nice and balanced with minimum weights.

In my opinion the BF Goodrich Silvertown are truer than the Firestones, balance with less weights. Also the Goodrich fit the rim tighter. I balanced myself, no tire shop will touch that job, they aren't equipped to balance detachable rims. I run mostly around town and once a week get them up to 60/65 when I go on the highway to breakfast with the guys.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  17. I rode 100+ miles one day in BBob's Model A on bias plies, he got it moving pretty fast, he drives it all over the place.
    I have a pair of Coker G-78s but the Ugly truck doesn't run yet.

18. I thought I was sold on Coker Bias plys.......then started re-reading the carnage. Then the Rolling Bones guys (whom I have publicly disagreed with here, they snubbed a couple HAMBers/pals of mine) posted the issues they have had while running cross-country on em. This was about the time pics of their cars started popping up with some good looking radials. I know they run hard, way faster than I will ever play on the interstate but they actually log SERIOUS road trip miles. That means a lot living in Western South Dakota.......any trip is a serious roadtrip! I think I am leaning back to radials, you can judge my next car when I roll it out into the light of day.

19. HippyTN

HippyTN
    from Decatur Tn

lol guess im a chainer cause my buicks gettin radials! but i like the diamond back tires myself.

20. G78-15 on all corners.

21. aldixie

aldixie

Hi Richard,

Glad to see your carrying on with the truck. My sedan is nearly there, won't be out for this Hamb meet. I'm just working out the 4 bar on the rear, finished the steering column and shifter last night. Then it will be time to get my wheels powder coated and the new tires.

22. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

I run bias ply Cokers... No complaints here.

23. kratebike

kratebike

I run Coker Classic Radial Redlines. Still really nice after six years.

The only problem is, I can wash them, drive to a cruise night, and they get this gray build up on them. It rubs off pretty easily, but still looks nasty when pulling on the lot. If I use tire shine, it turns into a dark brown gunky build up. It can really dingy up the Red Lines. Does anyone know how to solve this?

When I got them mounted, the man at the tire shop said they were constructed very nicely.

I will DEFINITELY buy Cokers again.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  24. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

I,ve got some Coker g-78's on and they're fine...a little squirrley in the deep rutted stuff...BUT if your getting bias plies for the look, go with something like the Firestones with the sweet piecrust pattern on the edges. The G-78's don't look different enough from radials on a fendered car, I don't think. They are less expensive, that's for sure, but if I had to do it again I think it would be worth it to save for the better looking tire.

25. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

My wife took the cokers off her car because it kept flipping over.