Register now to get rid of these ads!

o.t. electrical repair question, rock-ola

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot rust, Nov 29, 2008.

1. hot rust

hot rust

i did some horse trading and wound up with a rock-ola bubbler repro juke box or actually a cd player, was dirty and dusty and i've cleaned and have everything working on it with the exception of one of the florescent bulbs for the color changes. my question is that when i put in a bulb it immediately lights up very bright and blows the bulb, i know this because if i try the bulb in another location it doesnt work. any idea what would cause this? i thought if the transformer/ballast was bad it wouldnt try to come on and i'm pretty sure theres no short anywhere because it doesn't blow the lighting fuse i thought about the sockets that the lights twist into but if they were shorted it should blow the fuse? i'm not an electrician or electronics expert so i thought maybe someone on here could help as there seems to be a very diversified bunch of guys on here. thanks for the help in advance. hot rust

2. ssaahemifan

ssaahemifan

As long as you are positive you are using the correct bulb then I would replace the ballast. The ballast not only supplies the voltage to light the bulb it also controls the current to the bulb to prevent it from "running away".

Very unusual problem...the ballast's usually fail to work at all.

3. This is the HAMB! Dedicated to Traditional Hotrods and Customs.

NOT the HANDYMAN,Dedicated to antique electronics and appliances! GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!! You want to ask how to install your X-mas light next?

4. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

Go back to your Archies record collection and leave the poor guy alone :p

5. hot rust

hot rust

true in the truest sense, but i thought that since it's kinda related as im doing a game room in 50's style with old car couches and such it would probably be ok. As i said with the diversity of people on here someone could possibly answer this, and "no" i do not need to be told how to install christmas lights as i do not celebrate holidays, but if i wanted to learn to be a prick i could just ask you and i dont think that being one has anything to do with traditional rods and customs either. if i dont like a thread then i dont read it as simple as that.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  6. TraderJack

TraderJack

Blown bulbs mean too much current, cause by bad starter for lamp, or by excess voltage on bulb.

If lamp has electronic starter try replacing it as it might have failed and is not letting the lamp heatup before turning on the HV.

Best to take the fixture to the seller of bulbs and let him decide what is wrong with the fixture.

TraderJack