Register now to get rid of these ads!

propane garage heater

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelacitizen, Nov 28, 2008.

1. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I need to warm up my garage a bit. Are those propane heaters that you can get at Home Depot safe for a garage where there are gas fumes and such? I don't want to go boom.

2. bigolds

bigolds

I have one of those can type deals in my garage,,,it works great. I am cautious and turn it off when I'm painting or doing anything that has lots of fumes!!!

3. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Um what if you have a tendency to spill things... :eek:

4. bluestang67

bluestang67

Run like hell .

5. bigolds

bigolds

I guess it depends on what you spill!!!!!!! Can you say Ka Boom?????

6. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Yeah and I'd probably trip over something. Jeez maybe I shouldn't be building a car...

7. bluestang67

bluestang67

I do as previous i shut off a open flame heater and defume garage before i fire it back up . Also keep it away from your direct work area a fan will help disperse heat all over if you run it on low .

8. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

i worked with a radiant propane heater for a long time it worked great to heat a 2 car it took a little under a 20 lb tank running from friday to sunday. i never trusted it to do alot of heavy painting but little stuff was no prob. it all depends on how strong your fumes are, how big the heated area is and how comfortable you are with the chance of a fire.

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

toast has one, it warmed up his 40x50 the other day, high ceilings too!

10. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

LOL! I'd be very comfy in the fire. I'd be warm anyway right? About how much does it cost to fill a 20lb tank right now?

11. I have one with the fan, i use quite a bit.
    A lot more that the JetA powered torpedo, that makes plenty fumes.
    I figure they are not any worse than the grinder, torch, mig welder, Chop saw etc.,that I also use often.

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I have a double eye Mr Heater ... and it warms up my 500 square foot work space pretty good. But it eats a bottle of propane pretty fast. It is quiet :)

[​IMG]

My Reddy Heater does a much better job for less money ... But it is noisy ... so noisy you cannot listen to the radio. It is so effective I run it for 20/30 minutes, then unplug it and then stay warm for about 1 hour more. Then it is time to fire Mr Reddy Heater back up :eek:

13. bigolds

bigolds

The car side of my garage is 44X14. The propane can heater does a great job with the help of a ceiling fan and an osilating(spelling) fan!!!!

14. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is what I have: http://hot-dawg.modine.com/ , the 45,000 BTU model.
    Fan's a bit noisy, but otherwise works great, hangs from the ceiling, takes little space. Your choice of natural gas or propane.

15. beatcad

beatcad

how big is yer garage?
    if it's small(one car) it'll be OK.
    if you've got a 2 car garage you'll need 2 or more and it wont be worth it.
    go to home depot or lowes or whatever chain hardware store is in NJ and get a stand up kerosene heater. about 100 clams.
    it'll get the garage warm if its small. if the garage isnt inulated it'll at least take the chill off.
    believe me it's cheaper than fillin' up those propane bottles once a week.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  16. I had one of those Torpedo looking Propane heaters in my 50x50 shop. It worked great, but the fumes would run you out. It made my eyes water and burn. I now have a Kerosene heater that works great, with no fumes, but Kerosene is $4.99 a gallon.

17. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I bought K-1 today @ $2.79 a gallon here in the Carolinas ... :)

18. if you are in a closed in space you really need a heater that's vented to the outside

those "vent less" heaters still give off some fumes

19. The gas station I bought it from has the cheapest gas around here, it was $1.44, when everybody else was $1.57, so I was surprised when the Kerosene was so high. I put a $20.. bill in the pump and bought 4 gallons. I'll check the other stations before I buy next time.

20. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I have a 30X40 garage with 12' eaves and I put one of those motel heat and air units in it. It does a good job until it gets extreme cold or hot. When it is TN Hell hot... we use a wall AC unit to help out the HVAC. I use one of the 2-burner propane heaters on the coldest nights. It does a great job and after a few minutes you'll have to turn it off. WAY better than a kerosene heater and you can still hear the radio (which is on top of the list). The best trade off is your clothes don't smell like you've been riding a tractor all day.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

21. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Doesn't get extremly cold here in the desert..but can be 70s day and 32 outside at night when I'm in the garage. Garage stays in 50s without heat.
    About 750 sq ft with 12 foot ceiling.
    I'm looking at this:
    [​IMG]
    Specs say 1000 sq ft. Reviews tell of quite low fuel cost..but again..ni sub zero weather here.
    Just need to keep it 65 or so..my old bones take to the desert heat much better than cold.

$129 at HD

Anyone have a better cheaper Kerosene ? Seems to get great reviews..and easy to return if it doesn't heat the garage

22. Have both style propane heaters, in a super insulated 700 sq ft garage, switched to electric heat, because of the headaches.

23. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

My garage is small (300sqft) but it's uninsulated. I'd be happy if I could keep it between 55-60 degrees. Will one of these do that safely and about how much will it cost to fill the tank?

24. Ice man

Ice man

You guys have to heat your garage? Just the other day I was thinking bout installing a 2ton AC unit to keep it a little cooler. LOL Iceman

25. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Were these headaches caused by fumes or because of equipment problems?
    And ICEMAN is a JERK! :cool:

26. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Be careful with propane. Many many years ago a friend was almost killed by a leaky propane regulator. He was working in a rather large garage with the heat off. Propane is heavier than air and lays next to the floor. He never noticed the odor being in it for hours. He lit the torch and the rest is history.

I have a propane fired hot air system with a thermostat in my garage with a large storage tank outside. It has a flue to carry away the gasses. I know that is not in a lot of hotrodders budgets. I sold a car and bit the bullet. I'm glad I did.

I get driving headaches if I work in an area that is heated with a kerosene torpedo or a propane heater. I may be over sensitive but it is something to think about. It can't be good for you.

27. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I have a Kerosene torpedo heater and stand up propane. I like the propane better. Doesn't smell as much and not noisy. I only run it intermittent. I have 2) 110v portable heaters also 1500 watt . cheap to buy <$20.

Ago

28. I built a 26X30 with 11'-6" ceilings, 2X6 walls and insulated the piss outta it! If you OWN where youre at........ insulate 1st, and insulate well. It will save you a ton in the long run.
    If you have an uninsulated garage door, glue the thickest ridgid insulation you can to the (inside) door and still have it work. The difference this alone makes is incredible! It will only cost around 30/40 bucks to do this.

29. Fumes , carbon monoxide, lack of oxy... all added up. plus even if you would spray WD40 ,,,,,,,,,,PB blaster , mix bondo,anything like that , seems something would always be burning off. Was not worth it to me.

30. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Northern Tools sells Mr Heater. With only 300 square feet ... it should do great.
    The dual eye one like mine is $99.95.
    A 20 lb bottle of propane is rated to last 15 hours but I never seem to get more than 10 hours. Lowes sell propane bottles for around 20 dollars ... filled and ready to go. I have a place I go that refills bottles for 15 dollars but I have to watch them and make sure they fill the bottle all the way. They have a scale there and I have them weigh it to make sure. ;)

Go here for specs on the double eye heater and then click on reveiws

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332713_200332713