Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why is this issue so predominant these days? Please Sound off.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959cac, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1959cac

1959cac

So I post a '56 Chevy Truck, Barn Find on Craig's List. Complete, running '64 283, 3spd. in floor. Needs brakes, sitting 25+ yrs. Needs paint( of course).$1500.<p>My phone rings off the hook, droves of people drive hours to get here, and their main excuse for not buying it is " My wife won't let me park it in the Garage, it needs paint or primer first. I'll get kicked out of my Subdivision." Is their living situation supposed to affect my price? What gives?:confused:

2. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

If you think your price is fair, stick with it.

3. 1959cac

1959cac

I feel it's half price at least now.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Actually idiots have been with us forever, you're just now meeting a fresh batch.

5. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Well also,,its a fad and cool to be into cars now..To many people wanna be cool..Not like how it use to be. Thing is not all who want 'can',,yet they will go through the motions but when that moment comes they have to come up with a reason why they can't. The days of parts cars in the yard or driveway in most parts of the country are long gone. The dynamic of the whole hobby have really changed. I mean come on.."My wife won't let me " ? hell that was a given before the phone was even dialed ,,or just a convenient excuse as to why someone did all they did and needed an out. Price sound fair,just try to remember car people are a different breed nowadays

6. PoPo

PoPo

i would come down to GA to look at it but well you see the city won't let me park it outside in the driveway and the wife isn't too good at backing out of the garage when cars are behind her. so I'll have to pass.

lol jk
    thats a good price for that.

7. Tony

Tony

I think there's a LOT of people out there that get more enjoyment out of "looking" at car's for sale than actually buying them..
    Kind of the 'hunt' type thing.
    Many have no clue they are wasting your time when they play thier games.
    Dealt with it myself with a few car's i've sold.
    As was said, if you think your price is right, don't change it and just deal with the morons that stop by..
    Sooner or later a real buyer will step up.

8. 1959cac

1959cac

I've got plenty of patience, but wish I could charge the minimum half hour labor rate for tire kickers.<p>There's an ass for every seat.

9. its their dime and and hopefully their time , when you feel the sale is not gonna happen , a simple bye or get the fuck out of my garage works almost everytime , tire kickers are a pain in the ass but its all part of makin a sale.. have you posted an ad to the HAMB classifieds?

10. 61TBird

61TBird

Welcome to the World of Craigslist Flakes!
    You'll get a lot of tire kickers and dreamers. Some people are pretty cool though,and I don't mind shootin' the breeze with them.
    I had(and still have it For Sale) my '68 Malibu Convertible listed and I made sure I put every detail in the post. That way I would know if they actually read the whole posting or were going to be a time waster.

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Ha Ha Ha....you got that right!!!!......fuck them stick with the price.

12. 1959cac

1959cac

NFG, not yet, got alot of broke customer projects to rid myself of to have room for reliable folks.<p> Bushes are getting hard to find, that haven't been beat to death lately.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

selling cars is never easy.... unless you are selliing one to someone who knows what the heck they are doing and reads the ad description and actually listens to what you say on the phone.

half the time people come out and can't even find my shop. "when you get to XXXX street you take the 3rd driveway on the right, look for my green volvo outside". I must be accidentally speaking German when I say this cuz 50% of the people call me on the phone saying they can't find the place when they get to my complex.

14. Im with Royal.....

But there's also been another change - a lot of blokes are friggin SCARED of their wives these days....fuckin WIMPS. Seen it over and over, when it comes to justifying THEIR hobby, they may as well be wearin a fuckin dress themselves as far as I'm concerned.

Its almost as if they're visualising taking the new ridehome and trying to jusity an unpainted car to the wife. Piss ass wimps imo.

That being said a lot of younger guys who are into cars and married have too much to lose if it all goes pear shaped - thanx to a system that is staggeringly biased in favour of ex wives and is very hard on men.

But thats another story.....

15. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i never understand people like that,,,,so many times they act interested, when they in fact have no intention of buying,,,,timewasters,,,,,

16. rumblytruck

rumblytruck

or....(No offense intended here) they're seeing a major pile and just use the wife
    as the excuse to say no.

17. Like I said, they may as well be wearing a dress themselves if theyre gonna hide behind the wife as an excuse.

Next time you get one of those, tell em to take up knitting as a hobby....

Rat

18. We get a lot of those that are just looking. I kinda try to size them up to determine whether they are a ready willing and able buyer. If they have bad teeth worn shoes or bald tires it is a good indication they dont need to buy from me. I then ask are you prepared to buy today do you have any money? If they answer not today .Ill usually tell them any price i would give is todays price tomorrow it may not even be for sale. Then there are those who want you to fix a bunch of things , also there are those who will be back. Most anymore dont want to pay as much as i would give for another one just like it .Maybe that is why we now have so many? Bonified serious buyers are few and far between but they are out there. We have sold 4 this year and bought 14. OldWolf

19. Racrdad

Racrdad

Because we live in a world of wussification (is that even really a word?). You know, what happened to the days of a man being a man and a woman knowing her place?
    I try to be considerate of the wife but being considerate does not mean making every decesion based upon what she says.

20. 1959cac

1959cac

<p>Needs Cab Corners, and mostly unmolested. Good Floors, and still has the radio delete plate and all. Oil bath breather & Generator. No teenage modifications yet, something that's hard to find now a days.<p>But I've wasted my gas before too ...looking at crap.:)

21. I Drag

I Drag

My 100/10/1 rule:

100 will call.
    10 will show up.
    1 will buy.

22. Frosty2

Frosty2
    from Hambone,IN

Here's an idea.When they call for directions and the details,ask for their home phone number and address.After they give you the "wife won't like this story" call everyday and ask them if they grew balls yet.Better yet go to their house and pick up their wife.I bet she'd love to have a man around instead of a wishly washy fake one living in the house with them.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

I never understood why the wife had anything to do with a car/truck buy. If you don't want to buy something just tell the seller it isn't what you thought it would be, thank him for his time and move on. Chances are you will see the guy again sometime in your life, so why not be up front in the first place?

24. Yep, it's a word. And the condition is far too prevalent.

I have never had the problem of "my old lady won't let me!"...She did kinda bitch about one I brought home, and one that was in another state that she really didn't care for (that I did not get for other reasons), but she has never said "no, you can't have that!" when it comes to my cars and trucks. And I've had over 300 since we've been married, so I'd say two of 300 is a pretty damn good track record!:D

25. I've done that more than once - either the seller completely described the vehicle wrong or just plain lied (do they not realize they'll be caught in their lies when someone actually LOOKS at the vehicle???), or it really wasn't what I'd thought it was going to be, based on the description.

YOu know I'm serious about buying a vehicle - I show up with trailer in-tow and cash in hand. If it's not what I want, I thank the seller for his time and press on. If it is what I want, I shoot a cash offer and see if he takes it, and if I'm successful, I pay and load up. Simple.

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Anytime the wife is mentioned it's a NO SALE. Like has been said they don't want it and the wife is the "whipping boy" to get them out of the driveway and headed toward home.
    I will talk for awhile until I get a feel for the guy and then say, "I've got a quick phone call to make, look it over again, I'll be right back. If you want the car knock on the door and I'll be right out. 98% of the time about 2-3 minutes will pass and you'll hear their car start and pull away. You just saved yourself 2-3 minutes of time and they got the break they needed to get away without having the balls to say "I'm not interested".

Frank

27. Lots of tire kickers on Craigslist. This year I've sold a couple sets of tires and currently have an old Harley for sale. I find about one outta fifteen is even remotely serious about buying. I've gotten to the point where I give someone one chance to come down to look at it. If they don't show up, or call with some excuse I won't even talk to them again. Or I get the voicemails and after I reply back to their voicemails I never hear from them.

The way I see it, if you are really serious and looking to buy a certain vehicle you are going to go out of your way to hook up with someone selling what you are looking for. If I don't sense it, I don't waste my time with them.

28. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

I agree, I had a guy come out and do the same thing when I was selling my chopper. I had a feeling how it would go when he pulled up in his new BMW. What could a guy like that possibly want with a 9ft long kick start rigid 36yr old bike...other than just waste my time? He ended up blaming the wife...which was odd cuz he didn't even have a tan line where a ring would go. Staying 'optimistic' for each potential buyer is a pain in the ass.

On another note, before I married Laura (my 3rd wife) I told her I had a love of cars and bikes and it's not a cheap hobby most times and can take up space. I would never put my family second to my hobby, but it's still my hobby.
    Come to find out, she loved the old rides, had her motorcycle license and could change her own oil! I couldn't get to the altar fast enough
    ....yeah, I know...I'm lucky.
    She knew I was serious when she saw my current project being built in the living room...
    [​IMG]

I ended up selling the bike (against protests by Laura) but it was to assist me for my move to Austin from Dallas. No biggie. Bike's are easy, I can always do another.
    Here it is when it was done...
    [​IMG]

Keep up with the sale. I haven't seen the truck, but just by what you typed, you are selling it at a more than reasonable price.
    ~Jef

29. Just produce 6 cans of primer for the next guy that says that..

OK now whats the excuse??

Just tire kicker BS. They probably do not have all the cash, and see it is better than a $500 truck (what they want to spend). They have no grounds to nickle-dick you. So they wuss out.

I've found that the cheaper the car is, the more dickweeds you have to deal with.

30. Stick with your price, if someone wants it bad enough they'll fork over the bucks, Hank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.