Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest My 97 year old grandpa, the original hot rodder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I had the pleasure of eating one more Thanksgiving dinner with my 97 year old grandpa. Every year we take a picture because I always think that this could be our last one together. Of course I have been doing that for about 10 years now.....;)

He still drives everywhere and lives by himself.

He was a round engine mechanic for years and he was in charge of the crew that installed the bomb racks in all of the bombers for the atomic bomb. He was a produce salesman from the 30's through the 50's while still working his civilian job as an aircraft mechanic. He built cars from scraps his older brothers would discard. He's still one of the smartest guys street wise and book smart that I know.

Here's a little story for you.

Years ago, (back in the 60's) my dad was in finals in Amarillo, TX and was up against a fellow club mate for the title of C\Gas. A phone call came through from his C/O back in OK and told him he had to be back on base by that evening. My grandpa told my dad not to worry, he would drive in his place so he could go on home.

He lined up against his competition (Who happens to be a hambers Uncle, Kikinrods) and ended up beating him. My grandpa still has the trophy and bragging rights. I'm sure Brant's Uncle Steve will still admit his defeat.

Anyway, he came over and checked out dad's 35 1.5 ton he's building. Here's a picture of 4 generations in front of it.

Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your family time.

Attached Files:

2. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Awesome...
    Thanks for the story.
    My dad passed about 10 years ago in his 70s. He was "old" for the males in my family.
    You are fortunate. Get all the stories you can.

3. Really cool. Pick your grandpa's brain every chance you get. You'll be glad you did.

4. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

you are a lucky guy, my dad died in 77, my grandpa died in about 66 or 67, Dad was 60, granpa not much older, enjoy those guys like you are. oh yea, great photo too.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I was kidding around with him and asked him if he knew how to drive a flathead......He just chuckles and says "I've driven one once...."

6. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy

thats awsome man

7. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

That's a great Thanksgiving story!

8. QQMOON

QQMOON

How good is that

QQ

9. jdubbya

jdubbya

Great story, and I am envious of you for still being able to hear the stories of yesteryear. I always enjoyed hearing the stories when I was younger, but unfortunately my grandparents have been gone for quite awhile.

10. Outstanding testimony.

11. Not2low

Not2low
    from Eaton,Ohio

Great story,four lucky men in that photo.

12. I always say respect your elders, eventually you'll be one, Hank

13. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

Good story Chris.. I have my dad around yet by my grandfather is gone. I miss his old stories.. Enjoy your grandfathers while you can...

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story and a nice photo. Thanks for sharing with us.

15. Hope you inherit those good genes from him! Reminds me of years ago, back in the '70s when I was pastor of First Baptist Church in Shannon GA. Had a fellow in the church who was 92 and still pretty active. His daughter decided that it was time for ol' Walt to stop driving, and she persuaded him to give up the car keys "until your eyes get better." This rocked on for a couple of weeks until one beautiful spring morning Walt decided he wanted to go fishing. He put all of his fishing gear in the car and then remembered that his daughter had the ignition key. Walt did the only thing he could do under those circumstances. He hot-wired the car.

16. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

Geat ThanksGiving!!!
    Awsome history lesson..!

17. Had Thanksgiving dinner with my Mom who will be 90 next march. She still drives every day, and tells me great stories from back in the day. Thanks for sharing. We are the lucky ones.

18. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Very cool........

19. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

i never had the chance at a moment like that your very lucky. cherish it more than just on holidays

20. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

WAYYYYY Cool!!! Wish I could have had a few adult years with my grandfathers- Both were hot rodders that left wayyy too early. That's a great family legacy.

21. What a picture! You guys favor each other so much it looks like the same guy at four ages. Cherish these moments.

God bless all of you.

22. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

Great story, and its easy to see how you love him. I would give just about anything to talk to my dad, but he has been gone over 25 years now.

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

My grandpa is 97, my dad is 70, I'm 40 and my son is 15.

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

97...God bless him.

25. BELLM

BELLM

Awesome photo! You are truly blessed. My Dad has been gone 32 years now, he would be 96 December 15th.

26. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Great Holiday story, be glad of the time with the dads.

My real dad passed over 25 years ago @ 59. My best pal's dad filled in at times, especiallywhen we all needed to hear some great stories. Don Sr wasn't a rodder, but he did travel the globe in the 50s & 60s. He died last spring @ 97 & still had a Cealis script for when he want out on a date!! With younger women!

Old guys RULE!!!

27. Great story, thanks for sharing. Just recently lost my dad, and wish I had more time with him.

28. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Great story Root. Like everyone says, cherish every day with him and your dad. I had the last thanksgiving with my dad over 5 years ago. You sure miss them when they're gone.

Frank

29. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

great story. my pops is still around but no cool car stories.i know im lucky to still have him ,im first generation gearhead. so maybe in about 70 years ill be the 97 year old in the pic

30. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Best Thanksgiving Hamb Thread by my vote.....