Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Else has been doing without a GARAGE!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James427, Nov 27, 2008.

1. James427

James427
    BANNED

As a car lover, I've been in car hell for the last 4.5 years with living in a house without a garage. I'm talking short driveway, NO carport even. I've managed by renting a small shop in town for a while, but lost that 1.5 years ago when the owner died and the property was sold. Working in the cold, beating sun, rain. Having to stop a project for days because of whether. Having rain ruin something you've worked on. Having to put every single tool back away right in the middle of the project because the sun went down, IT SUCKS!

We're moving down to Tampa now and just signed a lease on a house with a 4 CAR GARAGE!! One side of the garage is more than two cars deep with a garage door that's about 1.5 times taller than a regular door so I can actually back my truck and car hauler into the garage WITH a car on toptgether and close the door with them BOTH inside! I'm so pumped I can't stand it. I can't wait to start building something SOON!!

Anybody else been doing without a garage?? It SUCKS.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  2. skumbag

skumbag

man, i've been without a garage for awhile now... it sucks! i feel like i would have so much more done on my car if i could just walk out into a garage and get to work.

3. Weasel

Weasel

You must be stoked - I tried to work on my first hot rod in a lock up garage with no electricity - ran an electric cord for 100ft from the nearest power supply:eek:.

You could be positively dangerous once you get going:D. Well done man!

4. Doug B

Doug B

I started my coupe project without a garage. I had parts stashed in a shed,my moms garage,outdoors and at work. I have done all the mock up and fab work on the car in the shop where I work at night and on week ends.When I wasn't working on the car,it sat outside under a tarp. Not optimal,but it worked.This went on for about 5 years. About 3 years ago we went from renting to owning. The first thing I did was build a garage. I still do all of the welding at my work,but at least the car is inside. When it comes time for plumbing and wiring,I'll be doing all that right here at home. The next goal is to have welding capability here at the house for the next build.

Attached Files:

5. themodernartist

themodernartist

This is the second car I've built on my porch. The first car was my '47 Ford convertible and now this '51 Hudson custom. Not much protection except for the roof for keep my project dry. On the bright side, I can just walk out my kitchen door and start to work on it.
    Peace,
    Chaz

Attached Files:

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I still don't have a garage. I've built the '50 Burb completely outdoors. At least I have a perfectly flat 20x30 slab, and a nice Hunter alignment rack. No shade, no lifts, oh well. At least we don't have cold weather!

I used to work out of a bread truck until I got my workshop brought in. Now things are organized and secure. This is me building my intake manifold, it turned out real well!

Attached Files:

7. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

YES! when i was alot younger we had an old lean too on the farm that had half the roof blown off from a twister...dirt floor, and when it rained it would throw sparks and kill the breakers! I MISS THAT BASTARD.....we tore it down, placed our home where it was, now, this summer, i bought a carport from a buddy....i was getting it just for my coupe build, until i could get the loan for a actual shop.....a week before i was pouring a slab and buyin the finish metal........
    straight line winds grabbed it, threw it clear over a lil shed and wrapped it around 2 tractors!!!
    this pic shows where it was sitting...where the ford tractor is......you can see it in the background....60 yards from where it was...
    [​IMG]

heres a closer look ....
    [​IMG]

so, yeah, i feel your pain....now its back to square one.....53 is at my uncles, model A is at choprods[dont have a clue where to put it when it gets home] and my 70 amx is out at my mom in laws....not to mention my HA/GR build is at my neighbors house....
    SUCKS doesnt describe it bro!!!!!!! COME ON POWERBALL.......LOL

8. i wish we had the weather here that would allow me to work outside.. i have to disassemble a project now and store in pieces because i'm out of space

9. 48fordcoe

48fordcoe
    from In

make sure you can work on your car in that new neighorhood . Alot places in tampa will not let you work on you car..

10. James427

James427
    BANNED

Yeah, I know. The doors will rarely be open. The guy that used to own it has it set up like a workshop with a compressor and car stuff and he said it's not a problem as long as you don't make a lot of noise at night and keep everything ugly inside.

11. Cshabang

Cshabang

when I built my 65 Comet with my ol man, it was built on his open deck trailer...We covered it for the winter and started back up in the spring....I vowed to NEVER wrk outside again..haha

12. Even if you have garages, it doesnt mean you will be able to work in them. Mine are all packed so I just end up working on the driveway in the rain!!!! And I have 4400ft of heated garage!!!!!

13. When I first started circle track racing I didn't have a garage to work on or keep my car in. I did have a 20' land sea cargo container though for storage, and strung up a blue tarp lean to on the side of it. A customer in my dad's resturant was a project manager for Pacific gas and electric, he donated five sheets of 1-1/2 in plywood that they used to temporarily cover holes when they were working underground. I did everything under that stupid blue tarp, and take it from me, welding, or painting in 25 mph winds does not work so good....

14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

no garage ! been with out for 30 yrs . but now have a 2 car garage with electric door !!!! like i died & went to heaven !!! .......... steve

15. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Yep. We have a 2 bay shop, but for some reason, my stuff's not important enough to go in there. Maybe it's cause I don't pay rent, but I've offered to do so... Really sucks. Just did some body work, had bare metal, put a cover on it, cover not waterproof, flash rust. And I get b.s. that my car's not on the road...Congrats on your HUGE garage!!!

16. went from building race cars on a gravel driveway with an old school bus as a shop, to building a 30 x 48 foot heated shop, then moving to a house with a puny 20 x 20 shop non insulated and tiny. sigh.......... wish I had the old shop back. Next move (and wife agrees), TINY house, HUGE shop.

17. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

.......story of my life. I learned the hard way, and if there's somebody lurkiing that might need a voice of experience, here's what I would do if I had it to do over........

Here's the drill. When planning to buy a house, consult with the better half, but be prepared to lay down the law.

First buy a lot. Next build a garage like you want it. Next, plan and build the house whiilst living in the garage. If she can't accept them terms, she ain't for you anyhow. If you don't follow this example; You'll be sorry!

18. mercjoe

mercjoe

I live in an apartment downtown BA. Have a spot for a car (small modern car) underground under the building, not good for building even a bicycle.
    Im looking forward to get a house in the next future.

19. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Back in the day, spent a year in Texarkana, TX. Found a 48 Willys station wagon 2WD that had been in a lake. No glass, pretty rough. I was living in a rental garden apartment. I commandeered two parking spaces. Bought a 1960 Chevy. Put the Willys in one and the Chevy next to it. Used the Chevy engine, trans, bolts, plumbing fittings, etc., etc. to make a Willys that worked. Had a small but complete set of tools, including baby tanks oxy-acety. Even cut sheet metal out of the body of that 60 Chevy to fabricate patch panels for the badly rusted Willys. Long story short, 3 months later I had a running Willys with a 283, cast iron Powerglide and an early Camaro rear. Put plenty of miles on that car. Drove it all over the country, even did a few years commuting in NYC stop-and-go traffic. A most civilized build/swap, all done outdoors.

That said, not having an indoor shop sucks.

20. Moved here two years ago and convinced myself I could survive without a garage. Was I deranged or what? Now I am looking for a shop here on the island ,that doesnt have a dirt floor, that will serve as an asylum and project cover! Your shop is your temple, retreat, nirvana and cocoon. Happy Thanksgiving everyone now go forth and lease, rent, squat or whatever you have to do to get covered!

21. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

And here I thought I was the only one...
    Winters get pretty nasty in eastern Washington, so when I got my 28 this last year I bought a carport similar to Breeder's. I screwed t111 up and built a quick set of doors to keep the snow from drifting in. I've thought of insulating it so that I can at least do something in there this winter, I go nuts in the house and the wife frowns on carb rebuilds at the kitchen table. I'll be laying in the gravel tomarrow buttoning up a new throwout bearing in the 53. Someday I'll have a decent shop, but I may need to learn some carpenty skills to get it :)
    [​IMG]

22. HotRod33

HotRod33

Hey breeder your model a can come stay at my house...I know you won't mind if I drive it just a little bit......

23. Searcher

Searcher

Yep,

I've had no garage before...and it sucks.

Having a garage is a key factor of being into cars....

What I'd really like is an airplane hanger :D

24. where in the hell in Ellensburg

25. This photo should tell the story.
    [​IMG]
    Prior to this I had two other homes that had garages but, this one was near the ocean and we had plans to build a 2 car garage. The town had too many hoops to jump through. I rent half a two car for my Packard.
    Prior to my parents moving I had a great 2.5 cement block garage with plenty of room. I was spoiled back then.

26. Been there done that worked outside slept in back seat when I got tired pulled motors under apple tree, Hank

27. I moved from a house that was 750 sq.ft. with a garage that was 800 sq.ft. to a house that was 1200 sq.ft. and no garage. I worked on my cars in the driveway and a blue tarp and 50,000 BTU heater in the winter. In 2002 I talked my wife into getting a garage that was 24'X30'. In the beginning of August, 2002 I signed the contract and on the 23rd of August, I was let go from my job after 34 yrs. I thought I would be screwed because I could not find a job. I ended up on disability and kept my house, but just barely. Right now I am working with my daughter on her Jeep CJ, but my next project will be making a copy of my favorite 32 at the Henry Ford Museum.
    George

28. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I went from a 3 car to a 1 car and hate it. that leaves one ride in the weather to work on.. I loose alot of motivation when it rains, and it rains here alot.

29. 100% Matt

100% Matt

lets see more pix!!!!!

30. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

well, your just one hellofa nice guy now arent ya!!!!:D why dont you just bring your shop up to my house?????;):p