Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Brian I didn't get to finish but it looks like Rootie got you taken care of

"Doc" Parsons

2. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

When I was Stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton Oh. I about lived at Eldora, got to hanging around helping whoever I could do what-ever. Jack Hewitt is/was one of the most intence Racers I ever met, Spring Loaded to the Max Position. I think He can outdo John Force any day.
    When you saw him starting to let go it was wise to have an open lane close at hand.

3. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Joe Hunt Magneto restoration.Built by Wayne Ewing in the Watson shop. Car was a winner in the supermodifieds in the 70's driven by Paul Baumhaur, Baldy Baker, Bob, Stelter. Restored as The Joe Hunt Magneto #76. Joe Hunt Indy

Attached Files:

4. Krylon King

Krylon King

5. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Joe Hunt Magneto #76.......Forgot this photo.

Attached Files:

• ttuu.jpg
      ttuu.jpg
      File size:
      18.1 KB
      Views:
  6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Ron Burton, he is a pretty famous artist ... his brother Dale Burton is one of the best sign painters who ever lived, [/quote]

NO SHIT! I known of his art for a while, and have heard that "Burton" name a thousand times about lettering.. Just NEVER PUT THE TWO TOGETHER. :rolleyes:

That's killer! It all make since now.. Everytime I'd go in UNION JACKS I'd think to myself.. "Someone in charge here UNDERSTANDS good art":eek:

(How good you are with names roy... I am at the other end of the spectrum) Hell! When I first met you Roy, at your car show, I went home and told my old man, "There was some guy there with 18" Hals on a Model A that knew his shit! ..but I don't remember his name" When I finally told dad your name, he cracked up! He said, "Well I guess he knew his shit!!!" :D

7. RangerGuy

RangerGuy
    from Iowa

Yes, we visited Arlington many times. Gene was with IMCA Oldtimers from the first meet in Austin. A lotta good times.

8. racer5c

racer5c

9. racer5c

racer5c

10. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

11. RangerGuy

RangerGuy
    from Iowa

Pictured in my avatar is a early 50's big car. Home built by Harold Bohlender in Guthrie Center, Iowa. Powered by 241 Red Ram Dodge. Ran with IMCA. Have little info on history of car ~ supposedly ran first time in Wausau Wisconsin, driven by Lue Holland. A Clint McQuen (?) also drove it but other than that, I don't know much.
    Wondering if anyone has any photos or info on history of car.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  12. RangerGuy

RangerGuy
    from Iowa

Here it is:

Attached Files:

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Can't help with pics or history, but with wire wheels and a hemi, it must have been one of the earliest uses of a hemi in a racer. It would be interesting to know the build dates and such.

14. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

. I have a picture of that car at Monroe that I want to post if I can get it scanned. That was one of at least 6 Ranger cars running in the NW in the 60's. OB

15. fairlane2k

fairlane2k
    from Oregon,USA

OldeBob,

My old man raced everywhere in the NW, and I would love to see that pic if you get it scanned. My dad said that those big aircooled Rangers were a force to be recconed with in theyre day,and I wish I could have been around to see it!

16. RangerGuy

RangerGuy
    from Iowa

According to the Bohlender family, it was built in '53. Wire wheels and rear end came from Emory Collins. Serial # on hemi was in the 200's.

17. jmcintosh

jmcintosh

How do you think Dizz Wilson of Mitchell Ind Compared with the other Ranger guys as he ran them for years?

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't know if Briggs Cunningham was the first to use a hemi, but if he wasn't, he was damn close. That was about 52-53, so your car would be right in there. Very interesting.

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Just a quick side note.. Off Topic... Dad and I bought a set of Halabrands that were mounted up on tires a few years ago and put them on the self, well.. We broke them down a few weeks back and inside, on the bead they have "Dizz" writen in yellow marker. Pretty neat, there was only one "Dizz".. they gotta be off one of his cars.

20. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Great story, Josh!!!

21. Thanks guys!

22. Wolfie

Wolfie

Ya know, I was born and raised in Davenport, Iowa and I loved to go to the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds to watch the midgets and the big cars with my Dad. When I got my first car, a '40 ford deluxe coupe, it needed a tune-up. One of the kids that I ran around with, his Dad had "Dick Elliot's Garage" so I took the '40 over to his shop to get it done. When I went to pick it up I found out that Mr.Elliot didn't do the tune-up but he had one of his mechanics do it for me........His name was Mel Kenyon! And by some strange fate, on my first day home from the Navy in January 1966 at Bell, California I got a job at Bell Auto Parts, home of the Bell helmets and Cragar. What wonderful times!
    Wolf

23. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Excellent story. I remember Mel Kenyon as always being one of the drivers that would stop what he was doing and sign my shirt. When your a YOUNG kid, that's how you judge your hero's. It didn't matter if they never made a show, that was YOUR guy!

Of coarse in Mel's case.. HE MADE THE SHOWS! and better!

JD

24. PK

PK
    from Ohio

I felt the same way about Pete Folse. Even though I went to school with Pete's boys Rick and Pete Jr., he and Papa Honore would always take time to make me feel important when I was at the track in Tampa. Pete had his ways, but I felt he was bigger than life especially when he would call me by name in front of my friends. As far as drivers go Pete was my hero.
    PK

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I met Mel Kenyon in 1961 at the old Fairgrounds Motor Speedway in Louisville, after first meeting his brother, Don. At the first USAC midget race we had, our announcer was going to be late, and I was getting car information in the pit area. Found this number 61 car, and asked the guy working on it, "What's the name of this car?"

The reply was "Kenyon Brothers Offy, and who wants to know?"

It was Don, and we got to be friends. He helped me more than 35 years later when we organized a tribute to Mel at IRP.

26. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

This is a bit off the thread theme, sorry. Anybody know a driver named Kelm that raced sprints in Pa. during the 70's and 80's?

27. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Mels been at the old timers reunion in Jackson,MI few years in a row. Nice guy I didnt stay this year and thats another story so I dont know if he was there or not. They always have a little story time and mel has a couple ;)
    Dave

28. Rotta14

Rotta14

Neat pic of Mel Kenyon at salem, 1972, in the Edmunds/Sesco.
    This car now runs vintage meets down in Australia.

29. Rotta14

Rotta14

Whoops let's try that again !

Attached Files:

30. rustyrail

rustyrail