Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Remember why I hate car shows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

It's not "all" someone elses work. I've never shown at a winter indoor car show (I think that era is past), but a lot of people hire out the stuff they don't have time for, or skills for. I'd probably never paint my own car (don't have the right temperment for sanding).

My friend in high school had his chrome done by a hired plater, his paint done by a hired painter, and his wheels done by a wheel company. He was proud to say he assembled it :p

2. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I dig the kinda shows i go to. Its all about hanging out with friends, talking cars, and having fun. No trophys, no fees, and just fun.

Although i do dig cruisin to other shows and lookin at the blown chevy billit rigs that have never even been run hard enough to burn the carbon off the pistons. I scare away people when i show up with 2 cars in one rig, and 17 feet long!

3. DogTownKustoms

DogTownKustoms

These guys will never know what it's like to actually put sweet and blood into a real hot rod, and like everyone here has said, to know the satisfaction when someone gives you a thumbs up or says something about YOUR car.

On another note, I was cruising with a friend in my '66 el camino around my house last week. Keep in mind, we JUST put the exhaust system on two days ago , so at the time it had open headers, no pipes at all. We're at this redlight and this asshole in a shiny new BMW pulls up next to me, he's with 4 other guys who all look like assholes (gold chains, crappy polos, you know the drill) so they start laughing to each other and cracking jokes about my car. So we start getting kinda pissed and ask them what the hell they're laughing at, the driver says something about how my car looks like it's falling apart and sounds like i have 5 dollar mufflers (try no mufflers buddy) and that it shouldn't even be on the street but in junkyard. The light turns green, needless to say it didn't take long for him to disappear from my rearview. I sure hope my tailgate and back bumper looked good.

4. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

When you're driving around with open headers, everyone looks wealthy :p

5. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

for me it was like this.
    some guy comes up and says " wow i love this car man"
    then they say were did you get the paint done, i say i did it, they ask if i am a painter, nah, i am a car washer, by then i usually start saying this is f*&ked and i did that wrong and i dont like the way i did this and i must have been on drugs when i did that, i dont bag other peoples cars at car shows, just mine, i cant keep my mouth shut, everything i tried to hide i end up dobbing myself in to everyone, whenever i got trophies i would think of all the things wrong and get a real bad guilty feeling.

6. My-SS

My-SS
    from Texas

Car shows are ok. I show, judge, and just look.
    Since I started judging, I look at cars different.
    I really appreciate work and effort more now.

I was showing my 'oo truck at one a few years ago ( I know, it's too new for a lot of you)...It was in modified because of the work I did in the engine compatment

[​IMG]

Any way, this guy comes up and says he doen't think it's fair that such a brand new truks (it was 5 years old at the time)is competing against older trucks. Starts giving me grief about anyone could buy a new car and look good.. I didn't say a word back.. When he finished I ask him to check out the dash.. He did..I turn on the ignition, told him to check out the odometer..It showed 149,000 miles...Told him this was my daily driver..

He just walked away..I don't really give a shit what others thank about my cars..
    If I'm happy, that's what counts.. I'm always looking for ideas.. Think it's coolest when you can do something and it's not really noticed as being different, but looks killer.

Lot's of times, I enter a show just to get a good parking place!!

7. Larry T

Larry T

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Don't be giving away secrets.

8. so.ill.

so.ill.

The owner of the truck parked next to my 60 in this pic. threw a spaz fit over my truck taking the best stock truck trophy over his brand new 2008 dodge ram 4x4 with 200 miles on it, he picked it up from the catolque costomizer a week befor the show. it was the biggest fit i've seen since my three year old daughter. hilarious:D

[​IMG]

9. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

as far as the crybaby dolls, I dont particularily care either way. I do think its pretty weird how everyone has to be so "me too! can I be cool too? I dont like crybaby dolls either! This is a FUN bandwagon!".

I think it wouldnt be too far from plausible to say that someone here once stated their dislike for them, and then it snowballed into a universal hate because its the "cool" thing to hate on.

10. Originally Posted by My-SS [​IMG]
    Lot's of times, I enter a show just to get a good parking place!!

DITTO, Most of the time the $10 bucks goes to charity, we just leave after 2 hours.

11. beauishere

beauishere

Are you kidding? They're dolls! At a car show! What does it even mean? It's idiotic and gay. Trust me. The HAMB has nothing to do with that consensus.

12. unfortunately; it's only going to get worst. People are dicks and just dont care. Others feel thier shit don't stink because of the level of 'Statute' they think they posess .... I stopped going to shows this whole year, and have slowed trying to getting my own car done....coincidence?

13. rat pink

rat pink
    BANNED

me and the pandraggers started our own show be cause those hawian shirt wearnin fucks and they still came and talked shit! when i asked them to take it down the drag strip they looked like a deer in head lights i try to put them against my wife in her cadilac and they still bitched and one them had the nerve to have a rat built and still claimed that it was his and know he didnt drive it either

14. I keep thinking I should put a trailer hitch on my Chevy and use that to haul the flea market/swap meet crap just to see the reactions. It's bad enough sometimes they ask now if I'm a show vehicle... a 20 year old, rusty, scroungy Suburban with pop-rivets showing where the quarters were replaced, loaded to the roof in the back with tables and boxes, crap piled on the seat next to me... I usually say yeah, I'm here for the rustiest vehicle trophy.

I guess winning that $5 trophy is important to some people.. I just don't get it myself. If you win one you win one, but I thought the point of showing the car was so you could go see other cars and wander the swap meet and let other people appreciate your hard work either building your car... or for those who don't build, your hard work earning the money that paid to have it built, I suppose. That doesn't automatically mean everyone's going to appreciate it, but so what? Everyone has a right to an opinion. My opinion is cars were built to be driven and that's the best way to enjoy them.

15. I remember why I hate this thread.

16. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

OK,I'll bite.Remember,I live in England and things are a little different over here,so......WTF is a 'cry baby' doll and why do they show up at car shows over there and piss people off?Pardon my ignorance,but I'm on a genuine hunt for knowledge and enlightenment here.:confused:
    Paul

17. Finktim

Finktim

My Dad and I did the car show thing back in the 80's, mostly with Corvettes. You want to meet some of the worlds biggest assholes and REAL crybaby's? Do a sanctioned Corvette show! Maybe things have changed since then, but I doubt it! WE also did World of Wheels events, which were pretty kool since you had a wide variety of all kinds of cars, trucks, bikes, etc; and were far more interesting.

I haven't been to our local monthly show in years. Once in a great while, I'll walk thru but not take my car in. There's lots of nice cars, and lot's of nice people too. I just get aggravated with the fact that the thing starts at like 6pm, but you have guys showing up at 2 pm to get that "special" parking spot they have each month? What the hell is that all about? I hit the Turkey Rod Run every year, been there since I was a kid, and I love cruising A1A with other cars, but even thats gotten infiltrated with tuner cars and everything else, and the city of Daytona isn't as kind as it used to be. I have to say, after going to Billetproof, that was the best show I have EVER been to in my life. Everyone was friendly, the music and food were great, the whole atmosphere was just so laid back. I can't wait for the next one, and I hope like hell they let me bring my glass 32' coupe in.....:cool:

18. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

[​IMG]

thats a cry baby doll, not being used for its original purpose though!

19. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

And you would put this in your car because.............:confused:

20. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Ok, I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm not sure if anybody else has said this.

There are GUYS WHO LIKE CARS, and then there are HOTRODDERS.

The huge difference is a hotrodder will put in hours, days, weeks, even years - working, sweating, thinking, and learning to build a one of a kind machine in his own garage to call his own and be proud of. Its a passion and an obsession.

The guy who likes cars, is just that. He sees a dodge viper or one of these shiny kit cars or something and says "I want that". It holds no deeper meaning. These assholes at shows that throw money at a car don't have motivation to do anymore than that. They are no different really than your basic ignorant kid who wants a viper, they just have the money to buy one. They always have everything chromed out cause they think shiny means its special. They're like raccoons.

21. repoguy

repoguy

Car shows? Yeah, you can keep 'em.

There are always a few guys running their mouths and I'm not too good at dealing with that shit. I'd rather go fishing.

I'm into the cars. People get on my nerves.

22. poorboy

poorboy

amen

23. 19customline54

19customline54

oh i'm always lookin around on here for all different kinds of info. but reguarding my previous poast. it was mostly the people that claim to have built a car but didn't. or worse. guys who claim to be "hot rodders" that don't know anything about cars. I have no problem with the honest people, who tell you what they bought and why. but over all, I have the most respect for the builders. so there ya go. have a good one. I didn't mean to offend. I was simply venting.

24. younggearhead

younggearhead
    from new mexico

i no im young . but thats why i hate car shows there to many trailer queens . i come from a family of roders my dad owned a little shop in texas . im 21 and have been working on a 48 47 2 door ply coupe for the last few years she aunt pritty but hell she has my blood and sweat on her . in the end i dout give a crap what people say with there show room cars that never see the road .

25. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Good attitude to have younggearhead. Build "YOUR CAR" "YOUR WAY".......

26. My 55 Chev wagon and my 53 Stude are/were so subtle and low key most folks just walk on by.

It was only the really informed that could see all the changes. Brancusi sculpture style not Peter Max/Boyd style.

I don't go to shows at all anymore. I never cared if I won but to be ignored over some POS, I didn't need that.

I get back at all those asshats, I DRIVE my cars, every chance I get. To work, to get a pizza, everywhere.

People always ask, are you going to a show...nawww, just going to the grocery store...

www.highspeedmotorsports.com

27. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

How do these old threads just keep coming back? Energizer Bunny.

Will mark my calender to keep an eye out for this one in 2014.

If I wasn't so bored, I would not have checked it out. Now why is it I can't get the car done?

Neal

28. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I wanna know when swap meets became car shows, and when the whole thing became a dress up party.

29. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

maybe u guys should get out of the "gold chainers" & go to the "r@t rod" shows

30. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Shit I just picked up my first gold chain, I'm working on gettin a gold rope Run DMCstyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.