Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley 94 problems...............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elrusto, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Elrusto

Elrusto

I've two 94's on my truck that when just putt-putting around town runs great. The problem is when I run it down the highway a little ways and then come to a stop it floods out. It doesn't always do this, but it does do it most of the time. When it does it I've stopped and looked in the carbs after it dies and there is fuel just steadily dripping inside. I just have one of those cheap Purolator in-line fuel filters back by the tank. Could crud be getting past the fuel filter and causing the needle and seat in the carbs to hang open? Could float levels be to high? The motor is a stock 59AB and the intake is an old Hexagon Tool intake(The one where the carbs set backwards).
    I don't know what power valves or jets are in the carbs.
    I hope this is enough info to cover all bases.

Thanks, Mike [​IMG]

2. High float level or sticking needle and seat are both good posibilities, you don't mention what kind of fuel pressure the carbs are seeing. I can tell you they won't like more than 2-2 1/2 psi.

3. hankcash

hankcash

Float level brother...

If you brake hard and come to a quick stop does the engine seem to rev and fade like the fuel is in a little "wave pool"?
    That would be the float level....
    HC

4. Elrusto

Elrusto

It's a stock fuel pump. Same one I've had all along. I don't have any idea what the fuel pressure is though.

5. Crease

Crease

Could be float level. What kind of fuel pump are you running? Im thinking you may want to put a regulator on it.

6. I hear ya. Float levels and fuel pump pressures don't usually change by themselves. If it were mine I'd verify the pressure first and if it's o.k. I'd at least pull the tops off and look at the fuel level and needle and seats.

7. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Is the fuel line running close to anything hot? It sounds suspiciously like boiling fuel to me.If the fuel pump is a little weak there isn't enough fuel pressure in the line to keep the fuel from boiling when you stop. Especially this low vapor pressure, no octane,no lead shit we are forced to burn these days.How does it run at WFO?

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I doubt that both carb floats would change at the same time. Sounds like a fuel pressure problem to me.

9. Pull the power valves out and put block offs in. Go up around 10 jet sizes, and you will be fixed. The power valves are opening at idle. (vacuum).

You'r welcome.............

10. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

FLOAT!

I used to have a problem with one of my holleys... and it turns out that the float adjustment was weak and would bend under load and adjust itself into FLOOD mode...

After soldering the tab it strenghened it and never moved again. The brass is soft and any high fuel pressure like an electric pump will mess with them....

Do you have a electric pump?

11. hankcash

hankcash

Add some sugar to your gas tank, that'll fix her right up....
    [​IMG]HC

12. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

94's had to put up with 3 psi from a standard mechanical pump, so they are more than capable of withstanding 2 & 2 1/2 psi.

13. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I'd have to ride with Rogue on the power valve delete.If it's a stick car you'll probably never miss 'em and that would eliminate one thing to worry over or diagnose forever, although it will wreak havoc on whatever fuel mileage you get because it won't lean out at cruise speeds. [​IMG]

14. Are you saying that BOTH carbs continue to drip or just one of them?

Could be as simple as cleaning the carbs. There have been some other good suggestions too.

The floats on these carbs are soldered/brazed together. I had my float develop a small hole once, so it would never completely float to its normal level.

I took the float out and shook it. You'll hear fuel inside the float if that's your problem.

Mike

15. Elrusto

Elrusto

Ok, I set the floats lower and it still does it.
    I'm changin' power valves tomorrow. I ordered a couple of 3.5's.
    I haven't checked the fuel pressure yet, but I'm using the same mechanical pump I was using with the single carburator so I kinda doubt that is the problem.
    I'm gonna change the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carbs first. I kinda the think the internal condition of the line is a little crusty. [​IMG] There was a little rust in the bowls but none in the filter thats before the fuel pump. Kinda makes me suspect the line. [​IMG]

16. Dirty2

Dirty2

I know what will fix it !!! That 265 you are sitting on and my 5 speed and 8" rear end maybee than you will go to some cruises past sammy walkers !!! LOL [​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

How long have you been running that intake? It looks in the picture like an almost new set up, except for the one carb?So' if you just installed the Deuece Setup and the problem is new except for the fuel pump,or lines from pump to carbs it would kind of make you wonder. By the way I like that some one actually went to the trouble to hard splice the lines,that's not something you see every day,but I digress. Seriously try insulating the fuel lines and see what that does for you. You certainly don't have anything to lose at this point.Oh gotta go, got a child yelling as though wounded. [​IMG]

18. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

P.S. same question, how does that bad boy run at WFO?(Wide F....n Open) [​IMG]

19. Dig the Lucky Lager coil protector...

20. Elrusto

Elrusto

P.S. It runs great at WFO, don't it Dirty2? [​IMG]

21. Anderson

Anderson

Hey Danny/Mike, who's red A is that???

22. Elrusto

Elrusto

23. Dirty2

Dirty2

The red a is a hamber in bowling green

24. Iceberg

Iceberg

I'd rebuild the carbs. New kits are cheap and a one eyed monkey could do it. It could be the float level, mine would leak by and weep out the throttle shafts when I would shut her down hot. An old guy told me the fuel in the carbs was boiling due to the heat and causing the weeping. I have since advanced my timing, installed restrictors (5/8") and now have no heating issues. Surprise, my fuel weeping issues have gone away.

25. Elrusto

Elrusto

CRAP IN THE LINE BETWEEN FUEL PUMP AND CARB'S!!!! [​IMG]

Put new line on and douched out the carbs real good.
    Runs like a top now!!!! [​IMG]

26. Elrusto

Elrusto

.........Thanks for everyones responses!!!