Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964 Chev truck with Vette badge?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bizcoupeguy, Nov 21, 2008.

1. bizcoupeguy

bizcoupeguy

I'm working with this guy for the first time yesterday. We are in the construction biz, and he finds out through conversation I have a hotrod. So he says, "I've got this 1964 3/4 ton longbed Chevy truck with Corvette badges on the front quarter panels. It's in real good shape and there's a small block with a 4 speed manual in it."
    I have never heard of the badges being put on a truck, nor have I heard of 4 on the floor. Obviously this was some custom package option that the original owner (this guy is the second owner) put in some extra cash for. Apparently there's only 93,000 miles on it, no dents in the bed or the gate. He's wondering what it's worth and what is the deal with the badges and 4 on the floor. I told him, I am a member of a secret interweb club that will help me find out anything you need to know about American steel! This is where you come in.

2. phat rat

phat rat

Those badges on the fender are probably a Bowtie and the 4 spd a granny geared truck trans.

3. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

Well...there have been cases of factory one of super secrete creations..but a corvette badged 3/4ton 64 chevy.. I think the original owner did it. And i believe a 4speed could be had from the factory option list.regardless.

What small block? if its a 327 or something..then it very well could have been from a corvette, the original owner swapped in..perhaps a wreck in the 60's or 70's. Got any pics? :)

Factory, you could have got the 283 chevy and a 4 speed

4. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

This is an easy one. Somebody, maybe the guy in question? Put Corvette badges on his truck. They came with 4-speeds, just not anything you would want in your hot rod. Granny gear 4-speeds. NO 3/4 ton long wheelbase anything...EVER>> came with anything Corvette on it from the factory. Tell him you can prove it, but you can't tell him how you got the info. Top Secret!

Later,
    Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

5. bizcoupeguy

bizcoupeguy

the guy actually thinks it's a 327, the vette badges are the checker flags, and the tranny aint got no granny.....no pics though

6. If the tranny ain't no granny, it's cousin. If a 3/4 ton truck was built and bought in that time frame, it wasn't a play toy like some of today's 3/4 tons. Work trucks period.
    How fast can you say "transplant"?
    How fast can you tell? Look at it. If the tranny has a car type slip yoke instead of a fixed yoke held down by a nut, it didn't fall out of the box that way. If it has external shift linkage, transplanted.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  7. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

T'ain't so.....as previously asserted - even a 'brass hat' COPO truck wouldn't have had the Corvette emblems installed. Is this buddy of yours denying that there's a chance that a previous owner may have done some 'modifications' to this truck? Does he really think it came from the factory with a passengear 4spd in it? Maybe it was a secretly built 375hp fuelie truck?? Yes, yes, I'm sure that's it.

"Wake me up early, be kind to mah dawgs and teach my children to pray"

dj

8. atomickustom

atomickustom

My grandpa had an early 1960s Chevy 1/2 ton stepside he used to deliver lead hammers to machine shops all around Akron, Ohio back in the early 1970s. When his motor went out my uncle dropped in a 'vette motor and 4-speed trans because that's what he had in his basement. I believe it was from a Corvette he had totaled. My uncle totaled a lot of cars. They didn't bother putting flag emblems on the front fenders like your guy did, but I'd be dollars to donuts it's roughly the same story.

(Grandpa always used to say it was his "race truck" and I didn't find out about the 'vette running gear until about 20 years after he sold that truck!)

9. squirrel

squirrel

or some hot rodder sometime in the last 40 years thought he'd have some fun and make a pickup go fast. Far more likely. I did it a long time ago to my 59...except that I put 327 badges on it and a big block under the hood

10. rixrex

rixrex

back in the day, couldn't you sit down with a dealer rep and put together your own build sheet, put up the cash, wait six or seven months and get your factory custom? I'm not saying thats what this truck is..a friend has a 66 LWB with 327/powerglide, tach in the dash and factory AC..So, wouldn't it be possible that somewhere out there is a 62-65 SWB truck with a 409 innit? aren't there numbers freaks that can verify if such a truck was ordered and built...too much coffee Man...

11. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Has to be a factory deal because, no one, and I mean no one has ever done anything like that before to a Chevy truck in the past 40 years. :rolleyes:

12. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

The ones that make me laugh hardest are the kids swearing 'its factory original' when the truck involved is older than the guy's father.

How could they possibly know!

I have some Corvette badges and a 2-ton Chevy truck....

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the mid 60's Chevrolet probably sold 1000 sets of finned Corvette valve covers for each Vette sold. you could walk in to the parts counter and order the Corvette flags for the fenders for little of nothing then too.

If it has a Corvette engine and matching trans I'd bet it got there the same way that Atomickustom's granddads did. Someone swapped it in.

14. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

On www.67-72chevytrucks.com, member cdowns once told me of a 69' COPO 427 C10 in the museum at Daytona. I tried finding the post over there but the search is f'n with me...

15. 19GMC63

19GMC63

the 327 was a factory option in 66, not some factory custom.

16. sir

sir

.the only instince I know about is a 64-66 chevy C-10 pick up that was sold at b-j this year had a factory documented 396 under the hood ,the only one I know of,a 6-283-327 was standard fare for that year,your frend is mistakin.........

17. Those trucks came with a New Process 435. If first is non-syncro and long-throw, it's a 435. Chevy *might* put a passenger 4 speed in a short 1/2 ton, but definitely not into a 3/4 ton.
    Someone's yankin' your chain, and you have fallen for it.
    Cosmo

18. squirrel

squirrel

lots of guys put car 4 speeds in their trucks to replace the column shift 3 speed....it's pretty much a bolt in operation.

19. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

I'm pretty sure the Muncie SM420 4-speed was used up through 1967.

20. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, dodge and ford used the NP, Chevy used muncies

21. duste01

duste01

I think he means the one that says "V6"