Register now to get rid of these ads!

Single stage flat black? DP90 or other?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hammer00, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Hammer00

Hammer00
    from Chi Town

I got into a discussion this weekend with some "old school" rodders. I was under the impression alot of the guys just shot DP90 and we done.

These guys went with a basecoat black and flat clear.

Can't you just go with a single stage?

And yes, I do understand the DP90 is just a primer where as these guys had paint.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. tjm73

tjm73

ohhh boy!!

Primer and rat rod. Your new and you will probably get blasted for this post.....

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I give it 20 minutes

4. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

I'll be nice... You might want to do a search... And refrain from using the words "rat rod".
    Either that or put on a helmet and flack jacket.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

flattened single stage. at least save some money. I think flat black is played out. Way played out. give it a little color.

6. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

If I were going to paint flat black, I'd just do the single stage.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  7. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

i have used a product from sem called hotrod black. its a single stage paint that dries with a semi gloss finish. it works real well and is easy to use. the only problem is they only offer a quart kit, which include activator and reducer. so to do a whole car you need at least 4 quarts. depending on the size...but it does the job and stands up to the elements.

8. Big Red Rat

Big Red Rat
    from Hartly, DE

Try Eastwood Co. (sorry guys) "Rat Rod Black" It's single stage, comes in kit or quarts (kit has 3qts paint, 1 qt hardener). I got the kit pus qt of reducer (recommended) for about $100 to my door. Won't fade or stain like primers, sprays real easy.

9. slammed

slammed

John Deere 'Blitz Black' is tough stuff.

10. The Shocker

The Shocker

I love "Blitz" to .I added hardener to it ,didnt fade at all sitting outside through a Texas summer.I thought it sprayed really well also...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  11. Noland

Noland

dp90 is a primer sealer not a paint it goes to shit fast if not painted

12. I agree...

But at least it's expensive.:rolleyes:

That's what is on my F-100...looked great for about six months, then went to hell.

13. Just learn how to use the search button,,,there should be 20 plus threads on this subject in the last 4 months,,HRP

14. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

We did my roadster with a product called GM chassis black. Came out a nice satin sheen. Used to buy it at GM dealerships parts stores. Came in gallons and you poured it straight into the gun. No reducers came ready to shoot, but I don't know if it's still available.
    My 55 was done with a black base coat and a satin clear, looked really good but I didn't own the car long enough to know how it held up. The roadster was on the road for about 4 years and still looked good after a lot of road miles. Gary

Attached Files: