Register now to get rid of these ads!

4.6 DOHC in a 32: Anyone Doing/Done It

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345 DeSoto, Nov 19, 2008.

1. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

The 4.6 dohc fits in a 32 frame and engine bay perfectly and so does the triton v10. We did one with a triton v10 last year for Everett Gray of Grays 32 Fords. The v10 even fits under a stock length hood. Detail Zone sells a harness for both the 4.6dohc and the triton v10. You can see pictures of the 32 deuce roadster at our website www.uniquecoaches.com or look at this months Goodguys Gazette its the two tone red and silver roadster and is also used as Fords ads in Goodguys Gazette

2. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

3. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I'm sure a Vortec V6 out of a Chevy Blazer would fit into a '32 frame with no problem either, but that doesn't mean you should do it.

4. Just for grins, can somebody define a "Traditional" Hot Rod? And I'm NOT asking to start a pissing contest...

5. redhumphries

redhumphries

just in case anyone wants to know ford performance has a new wiring harness for these motors that only takes 4 wires to hook up the motor and make it run.

6. turdytoo

turdytoo

Since it goes no where this time either. The search function would have saved lots of time.

7. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

I was at The Roadster Shop yesterday. Theyre building a 33 chassis for a cobra blown cammer. Its huge, so is the manual trans.Call them, might send a picture.

8. new engine designs don't belong in old rods. go put it in a Yugo.

9. This has to be the new bunny with a pancake on it's head...

WHY would anyone go to all the trouble of doing this????

[​IMG]

Someone's signature reads "Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD." Perfect example here. Yeah, it showed a lot of effort and creativity. So what...

I'm all about alternative engine combos, but an injected 4.6 mod is NOT a Hemi, so don't try to convince people it looks like one. Enjoy it for what it is, a modern, well designed engine.

10. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

Hey Guys we run a hotrod shop and I am just a car whore that doesnt want to work at McDonalds so if an old timer comes in with a wad of cash and wants us to put a modern motor and drivetrain in his hotrod,damn straight I am going to do it and do it ricky ticky fast with a smile on my face the whole time because I dont have to go to work somewhere were I have to punch a time clock. When it comes to my personal cars I lean towards the Finished Traditional hotrods. Oh yeah its 0905 here in Illinois and I am going out to the shop and crank up the Afterdarks and sit down and read Traditional Rods and Kulture mag and maybe get some work done on a billet ridden trophy queen today so enjoy your Job wherever it maybe because I sure as hell will be enjoying mine.
    S/F

11. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Sweet Jesus!
    I bet that is a scary ride.

12. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Oh for fuck's sake...........do a search, they're easy to find, they're the LOCKED ones.:D

You either GET IT or ya don't...........

13. repoguy

repoguy

Give me a break.

You wannabe greasers will let a thread go 5 pages if some obscure country western singer dies,the Reverend Horton Heat is having a concert somewhere, or someone wants to show off their tattoos, (like any of that gay shit is even REMOTELY related to traditional hot rods and customs) but we shouldn't talk about a dohc ford engine because it ain't traditional.

What a joke.

14. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

We prefer the name "Weasers":p. Where's the Rev's concert at? I need to find my cuffed jeans!!

15. gotwood

gotwood
    from NYC

I am doing a Cobra blown 4.6 right now and tell you it is a waste of time and it is the wow factor and that is it that makes it somewhat worth it.

They are very heavy

Widest motor out there

Complicated cooling system and prone to heating issues that is expensive to set up and package.

Who makes a EFI wire harness besides Detail Zone?

The accys and water outlet are low where your frame is although there are options to move them

Do they make power??? I guess but then again a turbo Honda can put out 500hp to. Ford just released a harness and ecu at like $2000.00 for the later Shelby motor and later 4.6. For the money to hp ratio it just does not add up. An LS Chevy set up at 1/2 the $$$ will be righ there in HP plus weigh 40% less.

There are no reasons to run it besides hey look what I have under my hood. Plenty of better Ford options.

16. SinisterCustom,
    If this Post is causing you to have such hissy fit, then why do you keep on reading it? Or are you the Forum Police, and feel obligated? I asked a simple question...no need to dump on me. I've been in this game for over 50 years, and I'll god damn well ask any question I feel like asking...wether it pisses people off or not. Your attitude reminds me of the Corvette or Mustang or Camaro Nazis...

17. Happy

Happy

4.6 DOHC Cobra engine weighs 425lbs (aluminum block, cast iron block engine weighs 75lbs more). GM performance parts lists the crate LS1 at 458lbs. I love my 4.6's as well as the "era correct" hot rods.......more than ever thanks to this site! 4.6 is a great piece of engineering.

18. - Aj -

- Aj -

I have an '03 Cobra Terminator with stock block/heads/crank/pistons/rods and an upgraded blower to the 2.3L Whipple. Made 566rwhp on 91 octane. If anyone has questions about this motor feel free to ask....

19. KY Boy

KY Boy

I think I've seen that phrase listed on cult watch sites...and the leader is out of the compound...lots of people jockeying for position right now.

I get so tired of this place sometimes. If you dont like it dont read it. I HATE tattoos and funky ass art. I just dont open the threads when they are up and I've never complained about that stuff before. Why is the Friday art show ALWAYS started on Thursday? Heck I hate it on Friday. I love flatheads, nailheads, and stuff too but the guy was legitimately askin for some help.

20. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

I think a 4.6 DOHC is a great motor. My wife wanted a Mustang convt. and I was thoroughly prepared to hate it. Now I am going to use one in my 5w and can't wait to get started. Fast, cheap, economical, reliable, ton of aftermarked support. What's not to love?

21. moter

moter

OMG!!! Great Post!!! You must have read my mind after I read the first 3 pages

22. BCR

BCR

If you guys need the number of a guy who will rework your factory harness and computer for around a grand pm me. He is doing a couple for cars in my shop right now.

Not Traditional but If every car being built today had a Hemi a Nailhead or a Fatty in it could you imagine how much more they would cost:eek:

I would disagree about the cost vs a LS1. You can do it for the same money.

23. Weasel

Weasel

Will somebody please explain what exactly is so traditional about an engine that first saw the light of day in 1993?:confused:

24. Shobra

Shobra
    from SLC, Utah

Sorry would have to be 96 or newer for the 4.6 94-95 was the new body style sn-95 but the 4.6 didn't come out in the Mustangs until 96. They were available in the Lincoln earlier but.... you want the Mustang variant more power... better mods avail etc

25. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

26. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

27. T McG,
    Now THAT'S scarey even looking at it! Beautiful machine. Any more info on it? PM me if there is...

28. I helped with a 4.6 in a '33 cabriolet. Same basic setup, more or less.
    The one in question is useing a 3 pot Hilborn setup for throttle bodies.
    Looks pretty cool and is definately an imposter.