Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT/ Need tail light suggestions for a bobber project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony Bones, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Trying to come up w/ something out of the ordinary to use for a tail light on my anti-chopper. Want it to be sort of weird and need to mount it on the fender, so it needs some radius.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Do you have crabs?

2. hatch

hatch
    from house

I love crabs...boiled...with lots of beer..and here's my taillight (1938 chev)

Attached Files:

3. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

50's beatle with the stand cut to the curve of the fender. frenched 49 merc is too easy [​IMG]

4. Tony

Tony

How about an old truck roof 'marker' light..
    Maybe something 40's vintage..
    The roof's of most of those old trucks had a radius above the windshield that flowed into the body of the roof..
    That radius might be close to your fender, or close enough to make it work with some elbow grease.
    you'll have to make your own red lens though..

Just a thought..

5. Good idea. Will poke around a little. More ideas please.

[ QUOTE ]
    How about an old truck roof 'marker' light..
    Maybe something 40's vintage..
    The roof's of most of those old trucks had a radius above the windshield that flowed into the body of the roof..
    That radius might be close to your fender, or close enough to make it work with some elbow grease.
    you'll have to make your own red lens though..

Just a thought..

[/ QUOTE ]

6. whizzerick

whizzerick

Here is what I have planned for mine (crude photoshop but you get the idea):
    - 1948 Monark Deluxe bicycle headlight shell, modified with a portion of Caddy tail light lens (56?). The headlight shell has a nice 'fin', wich I will extend in the fender and tank (a la Bonneville).

7. CRAP

CRAP

How about an old schwinn bicycle headlight

Attached Files:

8. CRAP

CRAP

Or dare I say it but a 58-61 beetle front turn signal. Testors candy apple red works great for tinting the clear lens red.

Attached Files:

9. cadlights

cadlights
    from Hooper, Ut

How about something like this, 37 Buick.
    [​IMG]
    With this lens or another of your choice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know this isn't the classifieds but it's yours if you want it, $20.00 plus shipping.

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hows about a VW taillight. Early to mid 50s. They have a cool heart shaped lens along the top. Shouldn't be too hard to find. I think they're even being repoped.

11. How'sabout one of those old huge military rounds/brass bullet casings-cut down short with a 37 ford bullet lens.
    You know the front would have the primer end of the round....

12. Ant B.

Ant B.

Just use whatever you have at home or can find for free. If it's an anti chopper you are thinking way too hard about what to use [​IMG]

13. haring

haring

What is an anti-chopper?

14. MikeO

MikeO
    from MI

[ QUOTE ]
    If it's an anti chopper you are thinking way too hard about what to use

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah just go to tractor supply and grab whatever is red and cheap [​IMG]

15. We have a winner. One 37 Buick tail light, which will be mounted on the frame.

As far as being anti-chopper: that means it ain't gonna' have a bunch of rake, a bunch of bolt on stupid shit, a bunch of billet, or a bunch of chrome. Hell, I don't even think it's going to be painted.

It also means I'm not buying shit from J&P, the Harley store, whatever. I'm getting everything I can through EBay, through this joint, or at the swaps.

Hell, it's not gonna' have a front brake or a battery either. Heck, if I was smart enough to figure out how to run the oil in the frame it wouldn't even have an oil tank. But I'm no Triumph engineer.

So far I have:

-Ironhead motor/trans.
    -Narrow glide
    -Purty Buick tail light

Grand total is at $590 to date. My budget is $6500 and that's w/ a dual plugged and ported, hopped up motor w/ hot cams, a good carb. and a custom frame. Not too bad by custom Harley standards.

16. repoguy

repoguy

Dude, I don't get it?

No bolt-on shit, billet, chrome, and no front brake or battery is anti-chopper?

I pretty much thought that's what real choppers were about.

17. ESnacky6

ESnacky6

hahahaha...!!!

I thought anti-choppers were cars, trucks, etc..??

18. Let's try this for clarification:

Anti-modern day chopper.

Better? You understand now? Further explanation of what I'm trying NOT to do can be gained by watching OCC, Biker Build Off, etc.

I just want something that's clean, fast, has stock rake, and is w/ out flash.

Anti-modern day chopper = bobber. Oh hell, I'll attach a pic. to show you kind of what I'm talking about. Maybe you're a visual person.

"No bolt-on shit, billet, chrome, and no front brake or battery is anti-chopper?" Yeah, that's what it used to be about and what it should be about, but it damn sure isn't what it's about right now. Just look at the stuff most builders are putting out!

[ QUOTE ]
    Dude, I don't get it?

No bolt-on shit, billet, chrome, and no front brake or battery is anti-chopper?

I pretty much thought that's what real choppers were about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Attached Files:

19. FnDIRTYGREASER

FnDIRTYGREASER
    from LA, cali

billy lanes bobber is nice!! I have been eyeing that for a while now. please post a pic of the tailight once its mounted. I will also be looking to do something similiar. And the vdub lights are pretty good idea. I think i want something hanging off the frame .... [​IMG]
    manny