Register now to get rid of these ads!

How'd you get into hotrods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, Nov 19, 2008.

1. mistoo

mistoo
    from Sweden

I grew up in Mesa AZ. Seeing Butch Tucker and Squeeg driving around really stuck with me

2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

it started when i was a kid and my dad had a couple 55 ford trucks, and a 66 riviera.
    then it was finnished the first time i went to the pomona swapmeet. i guess i didnt get into them,its more like they got into me

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  3. beatcad

beatcad

pretty much the same as most of you guys.
    my dad was..i mean IS..a car guy. we always had cool old stuff growin' up.
    i guess it was just in my genes.

4. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

My dad was a engine machinist for 28 years. I always was at the shop with him.. My grandfather came home from WWII and opened a Texaco station. I guess I had no choice, it's in my DNA... My mom has always said I have gas in my blood...

5. luciomduran

luciomduran

I blame this guy.

[​IMG]

6. camargma

camargma

i would like to tell you a story about how my dad and grandpa passed it down to me.

BUT thats not it...

it was a boy. his name is sixinarow (stefan). i blame him. :D

7. For me, it was Matchbox cars, then Hotwheels, Model cars etc... After the toys, the real cars were just the next step.

8. well first there was this preist who was a 1000 point model A dude and a vette dude. then there was mike with gearhead mag and the articals about the first billetproofs which rolled some thing that had been latent since i was kid reading cartoons

9. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

I opened the door to a '29 roadster (my uncles '60s hot rod) when I was 6 years old.........

10. My Dad had some early muscle cars...impalas, chevelles, etc and my Uncle was partners in a speed shop but my next door neighbor had a 57 chevy daily driver and a 55 straight axle car and he used to take us (his boys and myself and other neighborhood kids) to the drag strip and the combination of those times at the track, hot wheels, CARtoons magazine and the fact that the only car I could afford when I was ready to drive was a 54 belair kinda lead up to it and I have been there ever since

11. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

i used to drink too much, then I started building stuff. Now i drink more, but I know tha you shouldnt run a gas line next to the exhust.

12. started with an engine out of my dad's 65 Impala...hooked ever since

13. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

My parents said I would cry my eyes out, until my mom would put me in a pumpkin seat and prop me up on the work bench so I could see my dad working. If my dad was out in the garage so was I! I have been into old cars for longer than I can even begin to remember, it's just in my blood!

14. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

When I was 15 I was crossing the street in a huge crowd of people going to our small town fireworks in upstate NY and all of a sudden coming roaring towards us was a 34 Ford pickup,chopped,channeled,fenderless,no hood,dropped axle bad assed beast ,shaking smoking and rumbling.He came to a stop to let the crowd cross the street. Everyone saw this and hurried for the curb.MAN that was the coolest thing I had ever seen, I was hooked on hot rods ever since! Heck I even built 2 pickups like the one I saw and many more rods since.

15. I always played with Matchbox-cars, as a kid. Then i watched American Grafitti in 1977. And it has costed me a lot of money, ever since
    Lars

16. I always said it was an older cousin who built 52-56 Fords when I was about 12 or so but, the more I think about it now, the more I realize it really was my father.
    My father wasn't a car guy, he was into boats but, he would service the family cars and his F-1 (at that time) when I was a kid.

I would always have to be around to lend a hand getting a tool or doing this and that. My dad could fix just about anything, it just came natural. We'd fix flats using two tire irons and a bumper jack. Doing brake jobs, tune ups, head gaskets, etc. This was back in the 50s starting around 1957.

When he needed a certain tool he didn't have we'd go to Kelsey's. Kelsey's was an old cinder block 3 car garage. Two wide and two deep on one side. It had a grease pit and good Lord I loved the smell of that place when I walked in.

You could smell the grease, oil, burnt tranny fluid, the rubber radiator hoses and fan belts on the walls. The drums of lubricants with the hand pumps. The once white walls and the smoke that hung in the air.

Kelsey was about 5'6" tall, had a bit of a belly and always had a Chesterfield in the corner of his mouth and his left eye was always squinting. The cig stayed in his mouth till the butt almost burnt his lip and he'd use it to light the next smoke.

Anyway, he'd see me looking into the engine bays of the cars in his shop or walking around them looking at them or checking out his tools. One day I walked up to him and my father as they were talking, I guess I was about 12/13 at the time. He nods towards me and says to my father, "Bring your kid around when he's 15 or so and I'll put him the work, he's always all over these cars when he comes here".

I thought that was the greatest thing. I don't know how much longer after that that the phone rang and my mother gave it to my father. He hung up and told us that Kelsey had just dropped dead while he and two of dad and Kelsey's buddies where pushing a car from outside in the snow and into the garage. He had had a massive heart attach.

Maybe it was my cousin and my town being a hot bed of hot rodding back in the 50s/60s but it was my dad and Kelsey that turned me onto working on cars.

17. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

I've always been into cars and trucks. My dad has had 55 and 57 chevys all my life. I've always had a thing for 67-72 chevy trucks. I was mostly into restorations, but last year i went to the hamb drags with a friend. I've been hooked ever since. Now I have a Model A that will definately make it to next years Hamb drags.
    Justin

18. PACHECO

PACHECO

I was raised by an old hot rodder grandfather named Blackie.

19. mrdodge

mrdodge

My dad took me to a Hot Rod show in 1970 and that just blew me away. Got into Mopars thru a guy I worked with and it just grew from there. Have met the neatest people and had the most fun ever since. It'll be a shame when I grow up.....!!

20. NoSurf

NoSurf

I blame these two jokers:

[​IMG]

My Dad on the left, and his best friend Chris on the right.