Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Please support the US Auto industry

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weasel, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weasel

Weasel

I have just received an unprecedented e-mail from GM asking for my support of a $25bn government loan. They are at pains to point out that this is a loan which will be repaid - not a government (that's taxpayer mandated) bailout, such as those handed to the Wall Street thieves.

I am supporting this motion because - as GM points out - one in ten American jobs is auto industry related.

Having seen what happened to the British auto and motorcycle industries now almost 100% non British owned, it is a forewarning of what could happen in the U.S. I believe that it is vital to ensure that the US auto industry survives. The link below will allow you to contact your senators and representatives.

I hope that Ryan and the mods will allow this thread, even though it is O/T, as it affects most of us in one way or another.

http://www.gmfactsandfiction.com

2. I agree with you on this. First as you point out what they are looking for is loans, not freebies. Second there are about 2.5 million jobs that will be lost if the US auto industry goes down, all the suppliers and companies that support the manufacturers with product. And that does NOT take into account the other businesses around each auto plant that would close, restaurants, stores etc. Entire towns can easily dry up. It has happened before.
    I don't shed a tear for these companies but do believe it is in the best interest of our great nation to not allow this to happen. Cut the fat, get the unions under control, kill the excess salaries for management - whatever it takes!
    I'm doing my share - a new Harley back in Sept. and when the wifes lease comes up in Dec I will buy another FORD! ;)

3. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

I work for a tier supplier to Ford GM and Chrysler,,,,,one of those jobs is mine!!! not to mention my suppliers and co workers, truckers who deliver it too!

Dave

4. zellerware

zellerware
    from dad's shop

Maybe some of their CEO's and top execs should take pay cuts instead of sticking to the hard working man who pays his taxes and bills on time to foot their bills.

Its not our problem that they cannot build a car suitable to the times. They should have been designing fuel efficient cars and trucks years ago.. Europe was way ahead of this game long ago..

Its called greed on their part..

I'm sure you voted for Obama too..

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Geez, the President-Elect has nothing to do with Detroit's failures.

6. zellerware

zellerware
    from dad's shop

Most of this problem falls on the unions too.. they control alot of this..

Both Ford and GM's european operations are doing better than North America partly because they produce cars and trucks that are fuel efficient and desirable to own..

7. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

Lets leave the politics off this board, Nobody will dissagree that it was mis-managed, but imagine 20 to 25% umemployment and how it will effect "your" business.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

no politics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.