Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car Clubs--Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wicked Tin, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Tell you what, I have been to maybe ten car shows in the last ten years...and the majority of those were charity events. Don't go "assuming", pal. I have my reasons for not doing the CC thing anymore, and I will leave it at that.

And I'll go to whatever event I feel like, thanks.

2. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

5 pages ??

Attached Files:

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

For all the positive reasons above, I enjoy being a car club member. I'm also a member of several other groups related to my non-car hobbies. Luckily we haven't had too many of the bad experiences mentioned. Our club's reputation is based on helping out and giving a helping hand via charities. We give away all we earn less our average operational expenses every year.

Membership is not based on what stype / brand / make car you have, whether it is pre-49 or not, how much your car costs, or how much of a party animal you are. It is, of course, made up of more senior members mostly because of the disposable income aspect. But some members are younger and many of our long-time member's kids are also members on their own and working on their own cars.

Members come and go for a variety of reasons, so our membership is fluid. I appreciate what we do for charities, but other things we do I don't get all that much out of, so I stand to the side and let the others do their thing and support them withouit being critical.

I only wish we had closer relations with other car clubs in the area so we could try to hold joint events / shows / rod runs, etc. - in order to pool our charitable efforts and increase the overall presence of rodding and vintage autos in the region. Gary

4. Alfster

Alfster

I have been in several clus over the years, Not really a club person.

These are the rules for the club I am in now. We live in different parts of the country and ages vary from young to old(er)

Members come from all walks of life and even include a retired senior police officer.

Best bunch of people I have ever associated with.

Constitution of the Mavericks CC.

Purpose & Direction of the Mavericks.
    A. Enjoyment of hotrodding with a minimum of encumberances.
    B. Capitalize on the orginizations of others.

Qualifications for Membership.
    A. Ownership of 1 or more trad hotrods & kustoms.
    B. A member of this club must have, hold or comtemplate application for a drivers licence.
    C. Must agree to abide by the by Laws mentioned below..
    By Laws..
    The following by laws shall be considered as absolute and unamendable unless a member feels that a particular segment too restrictive. In such an event the member or members can consider the offending by law as non existant.
    Club Meetings.
    A. A club meeting shall be deemed as officially in session when 2 or members find themselves engaged in conversation about hotrods, telephone and forums included.
    B. Club members should attempt to attend or engage themselves in no less than 1 meeting a year.
    C. No attempt shall be made to formally request the assembly of the entire membership for a meeting or any other function..Such a request will be considered as bad taste.

Club officers.
    A. All members of this club will hold the title of President. All wives and girlfriends shall be considered Vice Presidents.

Membership limitations.
    A. There shall be no less than 2 members. Should the official club roster fall below 2 Qualified male members the club will be considered disbanded.
    Dues & Fines.
    A There shall be no club Dues.
    B. Fines appropriate for the offence shall be levied at the discretion of the club President.
    Note. President and vice presidents are exempt from any fines.
    Club Uniform.
    A. The official club uniform shall meet the following description.
    1. Any Garment or combination of garments that adequately cover the bodys "Private Parts".
    2. Upper garments are optional for vice presidents.
    3. Levis and manufacturers t shirts are preferred apparel.
    B. Any attempt to emulate other organizations with such apparel as club jackets t shirts etc. shall be considered as in poor taste.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Very well stated Gator.

6. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Lot of car clubs do a lot of good i think

putting on events & swap meets & giving other the chance to see these cars and creations at one location

Many help fight for your right to drive the old iron by meeting with state & federal representatives to keep the hobby and our way of life alive and well

As a member of MSRA i don't go to meetings or get into the politic's, when i was in Chevy's Best a 55-6-7 club i did go to meetings when guys would say why can't some of the meetings be where i live the answer silenced most people, sure we can have them in your town your in charge and find a place to hold it that was the end of it! It's the old saying you only get out what you put into it, if you want you can join a club with a lot of rules or one like this club it had only one rule it was there are no rules

Don't give a damn about the correct this or that like over spray under the car, grease pencil markings on the parts painted or plated bolts and my favorite that's not correct comments and that kind of shit, my car my rules

The guys i know go to the drive-in on Thursday night, swaps - work on there cars - go on long hauls like the Pile Up, Back to the Fifties, Goodguy's , Bonneville, just to have fun & give each other shit and help out guys that break down on the way

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  7. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

Hey Glenn it was good to talk at ya at the Hunnert. Hows the wire biz going? I should be down that way in a week or two.Gotta see amos about some biz.

8. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Just tell them to rebuild your engine for free...

I love billet. Raw aluminum cures my E.D.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  9. quandel_garage

quandel_garage

Dang , wish I was in a car club

10. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

where abouts in north mo are ya??????

11. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

12. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

shouldnt you be sellin parts?

13. 52chev1366

52chev1366
    from laconia nh

speaking of clubs, is there any in nh? i would really like to join one. but for now to meet up with some guys with the same style cars as me. mabey one day join up but id like to i keep the hobby going. i mean im 20 and really respect the fact the people have kept it around for me. i would like to do the same for someone in 20, 30 years ! around me people drive rice burners.

14. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Big A, I cannot believe I had not noticed your CC plate til now. That's friggin hilarious! Love the sig too....."thicker socks"...heh, funny.

15. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

Yep, the noobs have spoken!:eek:

16. adamabomb76

adamabomb76
    from York, Pa

My take is that if you weren't solid friends w/the fuckers when they started the club, stay the hell away. They start at a point w/their set ideals, and the ideals tend to flex whenever they think they need more people. Then you end up w/a bunch of random idiots bumping heads, and nobody agrees w/the direction that the club is moving.

Hotrodders are not like minded. You can put 100 in front of the sweetest origional car, and if seperated immediately after they would all tell you 40 to 50 variences on their opinion of the car. Build your crap, do some reseach if you wanna get into a club. Don't tread softly(it will screw you). Hope some of this helps.:cool:

17. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

alot of clubs are more like fashion/asshole clubs than car clubs. if you either start a club with like-minded people, or spend alot of time with an established reputable club and eventually become a member, and put in the time and dedication necesarry it can be very benificial for you and your fellow clubsmen. id shy away if every single member looks like a text-book greaser. not that its bad to look like a text-book greaser, but if everyone looks the same, its PROBABLY more of a rockabilly fashion club than a car club... **key word, PROBABLY**- not talking about anyone in particular...
    i like a little diversity in styles too. we got some lowriders, some customs some cruisers, still no hotrods... were young and poor, but we gots one or two in the works

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  18. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

I've been a member of the Early Rods of Tulsa for around 27 years or so. I'm thinking I joined in 1980. I've seen this club with as many as 30/40 members and as few as 12/15. You get out what you put in. My wife and I enjoy being able to go to shows with people who are into what you are. We have garage meeting as often as we can and go to resturants when nobody wants to have a garage meeting.
    We limit to 48 and down. I think right now we are at 15 members with all but one that doesn't have a car.
    If you join a club that has bylaws and rules expect to abide by those rules. Remember hearing a guy bitch about joining a Coevette club when he had one and later sold it and bought a Nova and wanted them to change the rules so he could have his Nova in the Corvette club. Duh doesn't work bucko.

19. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

so..yes..and no...

20. hapanut

hapanut

Our car club Straight Pipes Los Angeles just started with a bunch of us with the same love for cars. Our club had been around for a year or two and now we are down to a few. It seems like people come and go, their lives change and leave. But the only way to stay a strong club is to move on and dont worry about it. I think it is good to join because of the knowledge and the labor help that the members give eachother.

21. BeatUpFleetline

BeatUpFleetline

Exactly, our club is four people at the moment, and we'd have to get to know you for sometime before we'd induct anyone into it.

22. hapanut

hapanut

that is exactly like our club small but we are also family.

23. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I gotta say I have a great bunch of guy's in my club. In fact we just built a soap box derby car together in 2 months flat. The only thing I would have changed is I would have loved to have all members there. 2 of our "Founding Fuckers" moved out of Ga. There were heated discussions and differences but thats what happens when you have a group of smart, talented guy's with strong personalities. Well I'm polish so I'm not smart or talented but I have one hell of a strong personality. They just let be el Capitan so I'll shut the hell up. :)

The secret with any relationship is respect and communication. I think all clubs, marriages, work teams, whatever can use more of both.

But to sum it up I wouldn't trade any of my fellow club members for anyone. Well except Curtis Mayfield. I would actually trade myself to let Curtis to be in the club. But that's just because I think that Curtis can make anything cooler. How cool would it be to have him belt out superfly everytime we walked into a bar.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  24. Well said Capitan. "Now I am just trying to say......."

25. Crey

Crey
    from Tejas

I always thought that a car club consisted of like-minded individuals that liked to hang out with each other? Of course, there's always going to be the one "Type-A Personality" in every group, but thta's called Diversity. The point is, if everyone has the same basic values, and all agree to one general idea of what makes their club unique, then I say go for it.
    Then again, we're all human, and well... we all know how that goes.
    I've been a member of different clubs in the past, and it was always a good experience.

You get out of it what you put into it.

26. Small Is Better. When you get past ten members you start getting bad apples.

27. Our Chapter is about building cars and hitting drag strips. Every time we travel to another Chapter's event we are treated like FAMILY and taken care of by the host Chapter....be that in Ohio, Boston or when the Pa crew travels to South Jersey for our meetings.

It's all about fitting in.......while still being yourself.

28. RacerRick

RacerRick

A car club is as good as its members.

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

Indeed.
    Everyone needs to participate.

30. iamspencer

iamspencer

Like the HAMB is almost a club in its self
    Theres rules
    And you (or at least I do) feel committed to help everyone on here as much as they have helped me