Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turbocharger Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob the Ferret, Nov 17, 2008.

1. OK , here's another weird question . I'm going to pull the monster Poncho motor from my Studebaker truck . I'm going to put in my 250 cid inliner and a 5 speed . I've got two turbos I want to put on the 6 banger . I would like to use a TBI/TPI throttle body type fuel system so I can use the intercoolers , but they are kinda pricey . Could I use pull through carburetors and intercoolers or would fuel condense out in them ?

2. Gene@Gearworksmfg

Gene@Gearworksmfg

If you go with EFI set up, you could run megasquirt to keep the costs down and the ability to tune it. In a few weeks I'll be playing around with in old rajay draw through single turbo set up on a 350. I'll pm you and let you know how it goes

3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anything is possible but it would be horrible to tune. People who use turbos and carbs normally have the turbo blow through the carb. Having the turbo pull through a carb would be a mess.

Megasquirt is not that expensive...

4. If you intend on intercoolers, don't do a draw through. The fuel will collect in them over time and become pretty dangerous.

What size engine, rpm, boost threshold desired and what turbos?

5. Gene@Gearworksmfg

Gene@Gearworksmfg

What will be the biggest in terms of problems with a pull through type turbo set up?

here's the similar set up i'm running (sorry not to hijack the thread, but its relative:cool:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

interesting. i must know more.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I think vortech makes a carb box for blow through, which from what I have read, is easy to put together, all you need is a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and a blow off valve, a blower cam and a recurved distributor.

8. Thanks everyone , I knew I could count on HAMBsters for help. I'm planning on using two turbos I have from Mttubishi GTS's . The Mitsu's are two liters and my 6 banger is 4 liters so I figured two would work . I'd like to get up somewhere near 20# of boost . The intercoolers would add a fair amount of HP so I want to figure a way to use them . I think everyone has conviced me to work out some FI scheme . Anyone know of any factory FI's that might work . Chevy , Jeep , anything ? I can adapt them to my Clifford intake I think . I'm not to knowledgable about anything made after about 1957

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  9. brandon

brandon

a blow thru carb , boost reference pump or regulator...timing control would definently help... theres a website out there called turbostang or something ...it has a junkyard forum on this stuff....alot of interesting setups ....you might also do a search on a particular 37/38 chevy coupe that was out a while back with a turbo inliner in it....think one of his relatives had a 997 special 32 roadster with a turbo sbc ....brandon:D

10. panic

panic

You're increasing the complexity of the project by a huge amount to avoid buying the right turbo. Far, far more involved than 2 × 2 liters = 4 liters.

11. brandon

brandon

how exactly does this work?

12. Phil1934

Phil1934

Turbo blows into lower plenum below those holes. They have flapper valves to shut under boost, but allow the engine to draw straight from carb without going through turbo on light loads.

13. Not to be a dick, but read a book. You can find all the information you are looking for. Street Turbocharging by Warner is good basic one from HPBooks.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  14. http://www.turbofast.com.au/tfcalc.html

This is a great source to start with.

Just punching in some generic numbers, 260 CUI/5000RPM maximum and 20 PSI could net you 500 horsepower with two Garret GT25's or Garret T3-45's. It is possible.

Just because you source two turbos from a two liter engine doesn't mean they will displace the proper CFM for your 4L engine. You really need to know how many pounds-per-hour of air you need at certain RPM ranges.

Will what you want to do work? Of course it will but maybe not like you want.

You may never be able to generate more than a few pounds of boost because while you four liter engine displaces four liters of air per revolution (sort of) you may only produce say 40 pounds of air per minute at 4500 RPM. While the Mitsu engines are producing in excess of 40 pounds per minute because their smaller displacement and higher volumetric efficiency moves more air at much higher RPM's than does your engine.

Think of it as a GMC blower it has a fixed displacement but the faster you turn it the more air you get. And think of Volumetric efficiency as the tolerance in this blower, the tighter it is the more air you can effectively move through the blower.

Of course this is an over simplification and there are many other factors to consider. Head flow, valve size, cam timing and lift, exhaust efficiency, tune and how well built the bottom end is. A common mistake made when going for crazy HP numbers with high boost like 20 PSI is piston ring gap. It needs to be much larger than normal to keep the rings from expanding and buckling thus taking out your engine in a hurry.

Besides, 5-8 PSI would blow most people away and it is a much more livable and achieveable goal.

The guys on www.theturboforums.com would be very helpful in selecting components to meet your goals.

15. squirrel

squirrel

and it also kind of does away with the need for an intercooler, eh?

16. brandon

brandon

not sure how this works , but have seen it used on various diesels...could he set the 2 turbos up in a compound (is that the term?) deal , where one feeds the other....? the problem i see is , how will a 250 react to boost...? not like they are known for the rpm cranking abilities...:rolleyes: and from talking to a buddy that ran one , crank breakage is pretty common and loose flywheel bolts...:D

17. I think so.

The reason I've heard for not having an intercooler in a draw-through setup is the damage that might occur if it backfires.

18. gonmad

gonmad

www.theturboforums.com

Everything you need to know.....and more.
    books:
    Turbochargers by Hugh Mccines (sp?)
    Maximum Boost by Corkey Bell

read up, then come back! LOL!

Blow thru is the way to go on a limited budget and limited knowledge on FI..IMO

19. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

I'm interested to see if anyone has tried water injection in lou of an intercooler? The guys at the supercharger store claim it to be as efficent as an intercooler with less trouble. The water cools the charge and acts similar to the way lead used to back in the good ole days. Chad

20. Plenty of water/ethanol injectors out there that work very well. Snow Performance is making some of the best on the market right now.

Compound turbos are very doable but not with what he has right now. It is growing in popluarity right now in the Supra and Subaru clicks. Some are coupling turbos and roots or screw blowers to bridge boost threshold commonly mistaken for turbo lag. Most systems are horribly complicated and do not return the results truly desired.

Instead what a few guys are doing is running a large turbo and then hitting it with nitrous Oxide to "spool" the turbo up.

21. tlowe

tlowe

bob,
    i have a turboed inline 6 292. it would be far easier to use a single turbo, intercool and use a blow thru carb. mine is fuel injected. i can help with a factory made turbo exhaust manifold. i keep them instock. tom

22. Steve gives me wood ;)

23. dehudso

dehudso

With a properly spec'd exhaust wheel and sized exhaust housing, spool shouldn't be a problem. Then, use the compressor wheel to feed your engine at whatever PR and mass flow you want.

Look at www.forcedinductions.com

Better yet, call those people and ask to talk to Jose about spec'ing something for you.

To answer your original question. Run a blow-through setup with no intercooler on a TBI or carb setup. You could run a intercooler on port injection though.

24. O'Banan

O'Banan

25. Considering that it's a 12 year old thread the links may no longer exist, at least at the same URLs shown here.

Though on second look, the links opened up OK for me with Firefox. Maybe try a different browser ? ? ?