Register now to get rid of these ads!

Look what I scored today for 50 bucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lobucrod, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I've been looking for one of these old manual tire changers forever. Everytime I find one for sale its either too high or it has missing or broke parts. I was getting my front end aligned on the truck at one of the oldest front end and spring shops in Fort Worth today, walked around outside and saw it. Went inside to see if it was for sale and the owner asked me what I would give for it. I told him I'd go take a better look at it and make an offer. He followed me out there and when we got there he asked me if I'd give $50 for it. I had $53 in my pocket so its mine!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. timing is everything! nice score

3. belair

belair

Dang I want one of those! And the HF poj ain't gonna cut it!

4. hoarder1212

hoarder1212

I changed lots of tires on one of those! lots of work, but they work well ! nice score!!

5. Shit I had one of those! Finally got rid of it so deadbeats would quit asking me to do their tires for free....

6. Yeah, that there looks heavy duty.

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

You and me both. I worked at a Texaco station back in the 60's. Ive used a few of the air powered ones too but I like these better. No seals to leak, dont have to work about having enough air pressure, Just add a little more elbow grease and your good to go.

8. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice score. Bought a newer manual tire changer a few years ago and bent not only the crappy spoons that came with it, but also the base flange piece. It now lives in the scrap heap.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

How can you go wrong? That's what they used "back in the day":cool::D

Frank

10. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

Nice find....Want to double your money ????

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

you'll make that $50 bucks back really quick!

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Nice score! Find yourself an old bubble balancer and you'll pay for it in the 1st set of tires you change/balance.

13. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

i had one! eat your spinich!

14. Thats new compared to the one i have. I have to crank a bicycle pedal that clamps three arms onto the edge of the wheel rim. Then i can flip the tyre off. ( or is it tire )

15. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

haha thats cool.. bet my dad would kick ass on that thing! :)

16. onedge

onedge

17. Dirty2

Dirty2

Good score !

18. If you use the right rubber lube and know what your doing, you can beat a guy on an air powered one! Guy from Coats Tire Machine tried to sell my boss a new power one for big $$$. My boss said if he could change a tire faster than his kid (me) he'd buy it! Salesman took off his suit coat and rolled up his sleeves, boss yelled GO and I had the new tire off the machine and on the ballancer by the time the salesman had his tire on! Never even thought to ask my boss for a raise for that one, it was back when I did stuff just for the pride in it!

19. solid

solid

Good score. Get ready for a workout.

20. madwagon56

madwagon56

great find!!! when we were younger my dad had one and bubble balancer, me and my brother would fight to see who could get the tire off. oh it was great to be a punk kid.

21. Stick004

Stick004
    from Missouri

I've got a bubble balancer that has been shelved for years. I don't know that is is old... It's made of aluminum. I'd be willing to part with it if you want to complete the set.

Nice find too! don't know that I could use it. I'm kind of a weakling. I'll stick to my air changer. (and computer balancer :p)

22. monsterflake

monsterflake

mine's in storage, it really needs to come out. when you collect shitty old wheels, it's hard to justify paying somebody ten bucks to dismount a junk tire...

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And read "Grapes of wrath" for dirt-level Okie tire repair tech!

25. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Bitchen!
    I need one of those.

26. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

Nice score. I paid $30 yesterday to have 2 tires dismounted, remounted and balanced. And that was at a mom and pop shop. The high dollar shops would cost even more... You will make your money back in no time. CTJ

27. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

I have one exactly like it and love it. Still in use!

28. aceuh

aceuh

We've still got one my dad picked up years ago. I used it to mount some tires on some really old american 5 spokes ages ago. I cut a piece of cardboard and slid it over the post in the center to lay the face of the wheels on so they wouldn't get skinned up. Balanced em with our bubble balancer as well.

[​IMG]