Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wyo Tech Grads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobbyFullen, Nov 16, 2008.

1. BobbyFullen

BobbyFullen
    from Kerrville

Any other Wyo Tech grads on the Hamb?
    1985 grad
    Auto collision Technology
    Auto Upholstery Technology

2. Juztyn00

Juztyn00

2006 Grad
    Auto
    Auto Shop Management
    Chassis fab/ High Performance engines

Went there when I was 24... Rented a shop with a few other guys and learned more wrenching on random projects at night than I did in class. Not sure if the student loans I'm paying now were worth it but I did have a good time.

Every Saturday night at midnight there was drag racing out 30 miles north of town on a 2 lane blacktop in the mountains. I didnt have a fast car but it was fun anyways..

3. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

2006 (i think)
    Collision/Refinishing
    Street Rod

I thank God for my Collision/Refinishing instructors. Those guys really cared if you "got it" or not. Even had a Saturday class that was really small so learning potential was optimal!! However the "Street Rod" class was a waste!!! It was more like Mini Truckin' 101...which I HATED!!!! Funny thing is I learned more from Coll/Ref than Street Rod. I hear the chassis fab is an excellent class but I had already spent enough money and was afraid I'd get bit again. That and the people in Blairsville, PA HATE YOU no matter what. Would I do it again?

Yes.

4. Graduated in 05 auto,street rod, chassis fab. Loved it had a blast.

5. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

2003 grad
    Collision/Refinishing
    Business Management
    Street rod

They need to step up there training there and cut some of the bullshit lessons that are nothing more than a waste of time, really who needs to spend a week learning about the construction and types of sandpaper just tell them what damn grit to use and be done with it.
    Back when I was in high school I went to a local Vo-tech school during half of my school days learning about rebuilding engines and when I graduated that school I could easily go into any engine shop and work any machine in the place and with full confidence that I knew what I was doing, Wyotech practically shows you a video lets you bang on some metal for a couple of minutes and then says well there you go now you have learned it all...that will be $25,000.

6. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Automotive 1979 Grad Top of my class :D Cost me 2700 dollars I think.

7. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

03 grad

uh fair education.

8. dean4969

dean4969

99 grad
    waste of time

9. duste01

duste01

wanted to go in '83. Cost too much for me. Ended up graduating from uvcc.

10. 52chev1366

52chev1366
    from laconia nh

sept, 19 08 yup just got out
    Collision/Refinishing
    street rod
    Upholstery

i went to Blairsville, PA. i love it. the town sucked but met some of the best guys in the world. yes i do think that some stuff is over done. but i learned a lot, and drank alot. lol i had the best teachers there were. they were all great guy well a few. well it nice to see some techers..lol

11. 1rustyhighcab

1rustyhighcab

I graduated march of 2001
    Diesel Technology
    Chassis Fab

12. 2000
    Collision/Refinishing
    Street rod

and i'm alergic to plastic filler dust

i wish i would have taken trim

13. 53lowlac

53lowlac

I went in 01, graduated in 02. Collision and refinishing, trim and upholstery, and street rod body fab. I had a good time...

14. justheman

justheman

I wen there in 02 i believe, but dropped out after collision and refinishing. to me it just wasn't worth going there for street rod. it just seemed like a waste.

15. doctorZ

doctorZ

graduated 2005, sacramento campus
    EMS I / II
    chassis fab
    street rod (top of class)
    STILL PAYING BACK THE LOANS!!!
    -drZ

16. kustomchop

kustomchop

2002 Graduate from Laramie
    Auto Technology
    Street Rod
    Chassis Fab.

You get out of it what you put into it. If you are willing to learn the information is there for the taking. I personally would not be where I am today without the training I received and the opportunity to work for the people I did after I graduated. Graduated in the top 5% of my class, with perfect attendance. I guess I was one of the people who benefited from my experiences, as with everything in life if you're not learning you might as well be asleep.

17. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

graduated sept 03
    Auto
    business management
    chassis fab
    street rod

I agree completely with kustomchop, it is what you make of it. Before attending I had won a couple statewide autoskills competitions, and competed against the winners of other states in a national competition, and I learned plenty while I was there. You find most of the guys who claim they didn't get much out of it were the ones that were claiming they knew it all but strangely were failing tests left and right.

18. EGG-ZACKLY....
    Not a grad, I'm a lifer. Truly believe in what this school CAN be for any student. I love what I do, and wish I'd had the opportunity to go to this type of school 25 years ago.

19. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Graduated in '99. Went in cold basically, had worked at a repair shop for about a year and taken a high school welding class.

Learned A LOT!

It was different then, the street rod program hadn't developed to what it is now, it was only 4 or 5 years old at that point and the guys that cared were still there running it. Mostly Doug LaRue and Matthew Harris and even Gordon (good guy, just kind of nazi). I owe my career to Matthew and try to thank him everytime I see him for writing that letter to Hot Rod magazine. Does anyone know if he is still doing Dagmar Customs?

Didn't mean to carry on but I have thought about starting this thread in the past and never got around to it.

The other guy at the shop graduated from tech in 02 I think. Anthony Hammock, he built a chopped, channeled, sectioned chevy pickup while he was there.

20. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

For those that took street rod, what did you work on? What ever happened to some of those shop projects. I remember a '39 chevy 2 door sedan that my partner cheezy and I chopped very badly. There was a Studebaker with an aluminum lift off top that a kid named Mattew Berg worked on. even got to work on Doug's truck and The Raven after hours a couple of times - I thought for sure that Boyds was the next stop:rolleyes:!

tech was fun

21. gpa

gpa
    from lewis,co.

I dont know about the grads,but the school wouldnt even reply to my calls or emails, I have had a custom shop for over 16 years and need some help in the fab and construction side, I phoned and emailed them and never got any response,so as far as Im concerned,they can kiss my ass. If anyone is interested,they can either PM me or send email to [email protected] Its a great place to work and a wide spectrum of projects, but I want guys that want to work and be part of a team,not some knucklehead that cant show up on time and always has a excuse for shitty work and attitude.

Let me know if you may be the guy or gal
    Phil.

22. Brickster

Brickster

Matthew moved Dagmar Customs to SoCal and is doing well, look up his web site and his contact info is listed.

Anthony's truck was one of the coolest projects and best of all it's on the road.

Anyway I graduated there (Laramie) in '97
    colision/ refinishing
    trim
    Street rod/chassis fab

went back as an instructor for 02-06 (street rod)

I thought it was great and I have got a lot of oppertunities from my experiances there.

Brick

23. chaco

chaco
    from Modesto,CA

I graduated in 93 applied service managment,collision,refinishing. I recieved perfect attendance except for the time I spent in the albany county jail. Some guy commited suicide in the cell next to mine. That was one night I will never forget.
    As for the school, It changed my life for the better. It was the first time I gave a crap about school and I did well there.

24. Sprout

Sprout

Grad in 01
    It was a good learning exp. and got to meet some great people. It is what you put into it, and it was exspensive.

25. May Pop

May Pop

Also graduated top of my class auto body 1976

26. hey there, I was in chassis fab at the same time, and remember that 39 chevy sedan...I did a sub-frame on my red '60 Elcamino...

Pretty much share your sentiments about the school, though it's still only a hobby for me...