Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SHOEBOX UPDATE: yes,,i've lost my miind

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Sep 11, 2008.

1. 'Mo

'Mo

I like the newly proportioned dip.

Cleatus' comment about the profile echoes that made earlier by James D
    (Photochop, bottom pg.21). I must say I concur.

2. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

No doubt that looking at pixels on a monitor is not a good way to judge proportions of the real thing.
    Here is a PS with the cowl height brought down a bit - just food for thought.

Attached Files:

3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

hahaha,,,i had a feeling you were doing a photoshop....
    gotta say,,i LIKE it,,,,,i may actually have to section some more out,,,,,,,hmmmm

4. On my previous photoshop, I tipped the back end upwards at the front and the nose down at the cowl, to take out some of the curve. May be too much of a wedge shape though.

5. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i remember that,,,that was a good look,,,
    ive got more decisions to make,,,:)

6. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Well, I know you're glutten for punishment, so I'm just trying to do my part :)

7. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

hahah,,,at this point,,what's another inch or so?.....:)

8. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Yeah, you were looking at the same thing as me, I just missed that post somehow.

9. VanHorton

VanHorton

Its crazy how a car that was already sectioned what 3 inches? could still look fat haha. Personally Cleatus's rendering really brought it together in my eyes... on the computer screen anyway. I trust you will make an awesome decision though jim!

you should try taking a picture of the car with someone sitting in it or standing next to it... that might help us get an idea of the in-person proportions and stuff just a little better.

10. Flop

Flop

well it cant be jim since hes like 7 foot 3 hahahaha :p

11. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

twochops...thats a cool picture on your avatar...tell us more about that car please..........

12. twochops

twochops

-----------------------------------------------------------
    I call it shorty,it's the same picture that I last posted that
    was converted into truck than shorten.
    TwoChops
    [​IMG]

13. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

you gotta build that thing,,,,,its really neat,,,

14. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

ok...ive decided you guys have a good point about the front of the car looking a bit thick compared to the rear of the car,,,i will be taking an additional two inch section out of the body from the doors forward,,,,,,,i unbolted all of the sheetmetal from the car that i will re-section,,,,,i also got my donor car today (56 olds)...i will be using the windshield on the shoebox,,i also will be using the wheel openings......i cut everything off today,,man,,,,i am beat,,that was a BUNCH of work getting the windshield and surrounding metal out of that thing,,,,,,,as usual, my shop cat "buddy" supervised,,,,,,,i've got the windshield laying in place (needs to be lowered a few inches, and most likely chopped)...and tomorrow, i will graft it to the cowl and do the additional two inch sectioning,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hopefully on sunday, i will graft the wheel openings and bolt the car back together for what should be one of the last mock ups before the LONG welding process,,,,,,,,anyway,,here are a few pics,,,,,,,,,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  15. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

a good day................

Attached Files:

16. Oh yeah! Windshield and wheel openings look great!

17. Squablow

Squablow

I like how that windshield is positioned in there, and I like the rear wheel openings too. But weren't the fronts going to be more skirted, with a swoopy shape leading back into the fender? What happened to that?

Planning to use that Olds dash as well? I like that one, fits the period and has a cool spacey look to it.

18. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

the windshield was a ton of work,,and im not nearly done,,,,
    the front wheel openings were from the donor car,,just seeing how they might look,,,i kinda like them,,,,if i use the fronts,,they will probably be positioned lower than in the pic,,,,the dash ids cool, and i was tempted to use it (it would make things much easier for sure),,,but i have my own idea, which will look a lot more "spacey"

19. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thanks,,,,the wheelwell idea came from you,,i chopped the windshield five inches,,

i was planning on sectioning another couple of inches from the front of the car,,a few guys that posted suggested that the front of the car looked a little heavy (thick)compared to the back..i actually figured out a different way to remedy that problem,,,the slope of the quarter was established by doing a pie section from the front of the quarter to the rear of the car,,it goes from zero to five inches,,i am going to taper it a little less by adding back a litltle metal,,it'll be from zero to four inches,,i think that will help balance out the profile,,,,,

20. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Kustom777, I think you're a DRIVEN man, I really admire your skill and vision for what you're creating!Nice to see you have qualified superviser on hand at all times!
    I think your Shoebox will be right up there with the BEST,Great work.

Nick.

21. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

damn jim you just keep going and going dont ya lol, lookin good bud!!

22. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

my goal is to have the car in primer and ready for paint by spring,,,so, i gotta keep,pluggin away.........

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I cant wait to see this done..
    wish i has this guys drive..
    did you have a feel for this before you started or has it slowly came to you as you dig in?

24. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

most of it has come to me as i go,,,
    the car was actually gonna be a mild kustom,,,
    lowered, 50 merc grille shell, desoto grille, caddy sombreros, nosed/decked/shaved, 51 packard trim,,,,,NO chop....

so much for that,,,:) :) :)

25. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

just curious what you're going to do to make the front window? form plexi?
    it looks good man... I keep following along. Can't wait to see it with the doors and front clip back on-

Tuck

26. All i can think of is when you posted this car for the first time, compared to what it has become now. These projects definitely escalate! I think its awesome man. Lets us know how many spools of wire you go through welding this beast back together with!

27. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i should be able to use glass,,,,the width of the windshield was dead on,,,all i did was chop it 5"...hoping to cut down a windshield,,,,if not,,theres alway lexan,,

i set the drivers door in place temporarily just to see how it looks,,,,,,
    it looks great,,i need to do some more trimming and tweaking though before i cam actually bolt it back on,,,it'll be this week sometime,,,,,,

28. DROPnDRIVE

DROPnDRIVE
    from New Jersey

Hey Jim, the car looks even better in person man! It was cool meeting you, and checking it out today..btw, thanks soooo much for the seats! those are a HUGE help for my Merc!

29. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thanks,,,yeah,,my pics are always too dark,,,,glad you got to see it,,stop by anytime,,,,,
    no problem on the seats,,happy to help a fellow hamber and kustom guy........
    it was nice to meet you too...

30. S.INner

S.INner

Again,and I'm sure you're getting tired of hearing it,Damn that is cool! You are an inspiration! Count me among the many that can't wait!