Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lets see some Pontiac Motors in your Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kail, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Hey guys. saw my name mentioned here a few times. thanks for the nice words. Here are some pics of some of my Pontiacs. By the way, this is a great thread, I just love the Pontiac V8 and the Tempest 4 too! I even like the 265s and 301s.
    Here is a pic of my altered wheel base '65 Tempest Funny car I am building for exhibitions, general fun and occasional street use. Both front and rear was moved up, fenders are 'glass and we relocated the wheel opening and then stretched them further. I plan to have it as a tilt front end. Radiator is where the gas tank normally is. Instead of copying someone elses car from the day, I decided to build it the way I would have ( generally ) if I was around in '65 to do it.
    There is stock wheelbase car behind it for comparision

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. I really like the pretty red '65 a few pages back on this thread. Hats off the the people who own/built it.
    I decided to stay with the a arm front end on this one. Rear is narrowed and out of a '63 Bonneville. Engine is unique. Based on a '59 389, it has a special 6 bolt main lower end with all 5 main caps tied together plus a '6th' main bearing that is a snout support for the supercharger drive. I designed and built the custom blower drives, crank hub, fuel pump drive , etc. Engine displaces 577", uses 2" deck spacers, Crowerbillet crank with 4.800" arm, Mooneyham 14-71 blower. Also Lakewood clutch can, Crower dual disc "A" pro series clutch, Lenco trans. I will probably use a 400thm to start with though.
    Engine pics are mock ups. Car is in construction. next few things to do are the roll cage, a couple sets of headers and some more block work.
    It'll have at least 2 sets of headers- collector style for the street and horizontal exiting 'weed burners' that come out under the fender for lots of noise. It may even get a set of HEMI heads too, undecided at this time.

This will be a fun car to do wheelstands, make excessive noise, big burn outs, etc. maybe some match racing. It is not being built for ET and MPH but for FUN.
    Also- my site is www.pontiacheaven.org
    My friend, John Wallace owns www.pontiacheaven.com
    thanks, Steve

Attached Files:

3. I saw a few posts concerning the M/T Pontiac HEMI heads. I am blessed to own several sets of them. They were bought over many years.
    Probably of greater interest though, in addition to the actual heads, I own the only known exisiting complete M/T HEMI Pontiac engine. I bought this from the original owner who bought it from Mickey in '63.
    This has been quite a find. Engine was in a a gasser type drag car for awhile, then went sand racing- blown on fuel, then ended up in a Gorgeous '72 Hondo flatbottom.
    Block is a 4 bolt, 3" main factory Pontiac HEMI casting made esp for Mickey, has 'M/T' cast into it, alum HEMI heads, magnesium HEMI Pontiac intake and much more. Was originally 460" with a 4 3/8" stroker crank. I have changed to a modified "990" 421 Super Duty forging so now displaces 421". Vintage alum M/T rods were changed to a set of custom length Crower billets.

I now have the short block assembled and installed. Top end is mocked up, have to finish putting together the top end and then have some fun with it on the water. More info and pics on my site if interested.
    I pull it with a rare round port 455HO WW5 '72 GTO. They are both red and both the same year too.

Attached Files:

4. Here is yet another supercharged Pontiac project of mine. I am currently working on 4 blown Pontiac rides.
    This is a 541" MR-1 I am currently building for my jet boat. Uses 4.500" Crower billet crank and billet rods, Ross pistons, my own oil pan, Titan billet oil pump, modified Edelbrock heads, M/T blower intake, 14-71 blower ( mock up shows with 6-71 ). The headers I built years ago. were originally BBC, I cut them up and made them fit the D port Pontiac I used to run, Now they are modified further to fit the round port heads. Bottom end is currently being balanced and then I will assemble it. Goal is to have 2 Pontiac powered boats capable of over 100mph. The flat bottom will probably be capable of going over 120mph but, not sure if I have the testicles to drive it that fast.
    Much work and $$$ has gone into the drive and hull too. Lots of patience too. It just cannot happen overnight like I wish it would. Don't we all?

Attached Files:

5. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Applecrate, that Red '65 is ours thanks for the compliment. Looks like yours will be a show stopper when done. That M/T engine is pretty nice also. Wouldn't want to give some extra Hemi heads to a straight axle '65 GTO?LOL

6. Here is my favorite 389. It is a '60 model in my AA/Fueler. I run the car when I can afford to and when I am not working on other Pontiac projects. Displaces 399", uses Crower billet crank, C&A rods, Ross pistons, Wenzler Super Chief heads highly modified by myself with high exhaust ports, 6-71 blower (rule limit), enderle injectors. Also uses the same 6 bolt main bottom end and all related custom parts like the previously mentioned 577" in the funny car. I built the oil pan, uses only 6 bolts so it is easier to service, also Titan billet pump, custom cam driven fuel pump drive, supercharger drive, hub etc, modified M/T blower intake ( burst panel, etc) and so much more.
    All the custom parts needed for this project were not available so I built them myself or had them made as needed.
    Car runs on 90-96% nitromethane. Also uses a lakewood SFI can, Crower 3 disc 'glide clutch, has no transmission ( direct drive), mandated 3.90 rear and 12" nostalgia tires.
    I can't say I have been successful with the car yet but, I am in it for the long run and we will get her competitivie in the class with more time and effort. So far, and only on an 1,100' part pass, she has run 6.77 at Bakersfield, coasted to 200mph doing it. At the time, that was the all time Et record for any Pontiac powered anything in drag racing. Since then, my friend Jeff Kauffman ran a 6.62 last August making him the new #1. Heck, being #2 is nothing to sneeze at but, I know there is a LOT more in this combo and my team and I will continue to better ourselves with time.
    Also, after looking at these projects, I guess you can tell that I am a fan of stock valve covers. I guess I am the only one, or one of the few anyway. I just think the stock vale covers are the best looking. I like the early style and the late style too. Besides, I save a few bucks that way:)
    Future plans are to update to HEMI heads. I have 2 sets waiting their turn. Other related and needed HEMI parts are finished including headers, cam and pistons. Currently, I am having a custom rocker arm set up made for this engine and have an intake started. A factory alum Ram Air V development block and then my own alum forged billet blocks will be used too down the road as time and money allow. These stronger parts will allow me to upgrade to much bigger ( and legal in the class) fuel pumps, a bigger magneto and use the 'super 6' retro blower for significant increase in power compared to this initial 'learing' combo I now run.
    My goal is to run in the 5s around 240 in legal trim with this nostalgia dragster.
    We are also looking to add the right people to our team if anyone is interested, contact me. No experience is needed.
    Thanks for the interest.
    Steve Barcak
    www.pontiacheaven.org

Attached Files:

7. Here is a pic of some of my M/T Pontiac HEMI heads. I have 7 all together, 6 are shown here.

Attached Files:

8. Oh, I have 'regular' stuff too. for sure, here is my primered '66 GTO with a '68 400 from a Bonneville out of my junk yard. It's a cool old car. It'll probably stay primered for a long time. I had the slots polished and have it sitting up a little.

Attached Files:

9. Hey how about the smaller guys..1964 225 V-6...oddfire...idles like a Harley!!

Attached Files:

10. "Hey how about the smaller guys..1964 225 V-6...oddfire...idles like a Harley!!"

Well, that is a buick motor and this thread is about Pontiac motors.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

11. Ops...at least that small motor got some attention...sorry

12. No big deal there,
    I don't think the average person knows what a Pontiac motor looks like.

Steve

13. 39 Stude

39 Stude
    from Arizona

that's the truth, most think there small block chevy's.

14. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

And then you get the guy that asks if your Pontiac motor is a small block or big block.:rolleyes:

15. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

I would do very bad things for a set of those.

16. I have to admit, when I first got my 52 hardtop I asked a few friends to keep an eye out for a "Big Block Pontiac" to fill the engine bay. Well one of the friends took me aside and explained the ins/outs/specs of the Pontiac motors as they evolved.

s.

17. IndyWinner

IndyWinner
    BANNED
    from So. Cal.

Jeff Walker! How ya doin?

Bruce Fulper

18. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Doin' all right.

The race car has been apart since the end of '05 though...somthing to do with three teenagers in the house.:D

Hopefully gonna get it back together for next year.

19. IndyWinner

IndyWinner
    BANNED
    from So. Cal.

hahaha.....teenagers. eeek.

Looks like my decal is still there in that picture. Lemme know when you get back out there. Sponsor offer stands if you're still running my stuff.

20. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Steve , you're the King in my book !

You hit home with two things i really dig. Nostalgia & Pontiacs !

All the best man !

p.s. Dil says hello !

21. axle

axle
    from Drag City

1956 Pontiac engine !

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oXH9Vt6dRwU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oXH9Vt6dRwU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

22. chopped52

chopped52
    from the twin

Pontiac pride !!!

23. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

ed's first purpose built race car. eventually put blower to it and took record around 1958...

Attached Files:

24. Here are a few pics off of my site of Eddie Hills twin. Known as the "Double Dragon", it is best known for its shorty body and wheelbase. Later Eddie stretched the chassis and put on a full body.
    This car ran 200mph in 1962 on gas at Hobbs, NM!

Attached Files:

25. Here is Brent Abbotts Denver based Pontiac AA/Fueler in '64, '65 and '66 time frame, also off of my site.
    More cooooool historical Pontiac pics at www.pontiacheaven.org look up 'history' page

Steve

Attached Files:

26. here is a blown Pontiac slingshot I do not know of. It is obviously a drag master chassis. Mickeys were white, Nelsons were Gold. who owned/drove this red car?

Steve

Attached Files:

27. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

any clearer pictures of this? i would like to see the headers/pipes

or if anyone else had pics of lakestyle headers or zoomies etc on a pontiac

28. Anyone have a pic of one in a 49-52 Chevy? Wondering how much trouble the stock steering gives you.

29. Bruce_C

Bruce_C

30. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Here's the 389 in my 55. 670 heads, 70 cast iron intake, one of the best for the street and I have a 800 cfm q-jet. comp cams 280-480 lift, 230 @ .500". 2800 stall and 3:90 rear. Should make for a nice hotrod. Also differant valve covers down the road, either finned cal customs or if I can fine some nice 55-56 strato streak covers.

[​IMG]