Register now to get rid of these ads!

Skirtless 33 Fords Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOWCAB, Nov 13, 2008.

1. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Something has bothered me for many years. I was told that some of the first 1933 Fords had skirtless fenders in the front. I was told they were very, very rare.
    Is it true or not. The pic below was taken around 1981 or so. Sorry about the bad pic (taken back in the days of film) So what other qwerky combinations were there on some of the models when they changed over to a new style? I know model A's had some.
    [​IMG]
    No Photoshop. So if you know your 33's let me know.

2. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Hear of this years ago. Seems Ford shipped out the first batch of cars to the Pacific Northwest area first. Other thing I heard is motor mounts were like the 32 V-8 but soon changed. I'm sure that there are many many more. Also skirtless rear fenders too.

3. Weasel

Weasel

The very early 1933s had skirtless fenders. I was in Bakersfield at the host hotel for the CHHR a few years back and a buddy and I were staring at this black stock 1933 roadster for about 20 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong and then it dawned - skirtless fenders.

Skirtless fenders were actually designated for use on the Sedan Delivery and Station wagon, but it would appear that they were used on other body styles too. Skirted fenders both front and rear were added in February 1933. It appears that the Vicky in your photo has skirtless fenders both front and rear.

4. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Very true
    Iv seen two in person (2 door sdn’s) and seen pics of a roadster and a coupe and a un restored 2 door. Iv also seen NOS fenders.
    There super rare and there’s more than just the fenders that differ from later 33’s. There's something different with the rear pan and bumper irons and also the hood I believe.
    I bet Bruce knows all about um.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Survivors are very rare...engine mounts of earliest were forged legs, like '32 but shorter...front crossmember was different. There were MANY differences over '33-4, with almost every part of the car changing at least once, and according to V8 club, a lot of the big, noticeable changes did not coincide with '34 changeover. The new grill and hood was apparently installed on the last month or two of '33's, and some early '34's had Detroit carbs...

6. Weasel

Weasel

Changeover to 1934 style hood and grille was dated from Ford September 1933 'with immediate effect'. That will account for why 1934 style cars are more prevalent than 1933 - some of them were actually built in the last quarter of 1933 and actual 1933 style production only lasted eight to nine months, whereas 1934 production lasted 15 months.

7. alchemy

alchemy

That black restored roadster mentioned above is NEAT! Looks very austere, until you notice the super-rare parts. Think Paul Gommi owns(ed) it.

I usta own a very early takeoff '33 skirtless rear fender for a coupe/roadster. It was excellent shape except for a little bit of primer overspray from laying around a body shop for 70+ years. I always guessed the car got wrecked very early on, the shop couldn't find a match to the skirtless fenders, so both sides got replaced with "regular" fenders.

Was such nice condition you could clearly see the underside drips in the paint from the dunk-tank.

I finally realized I'd never find the other three (plus running boards), so sold it on Ebay for a nice chunk of change. Was on there again a few months ago, but didn't meet his reserve.

I've seen a pair of sedan rears at a local swap ten years ago, but they were full of bondo. And expensive.

8. uncle buck

uncle buck

not to hijack this thread, but there was a pair of rough skirted 32 front fenders at the Fathers Day Roadster show for sale. They looked like the skirts were welded on. Any body else ever seen this or know if they were also made?

9. As far as i know skirted 32 fenders were used on Model B Fords sold in Europe until 1935
    I have one NOS fender in my garage that came with my 32 Panel Delivery (build in Holland)
    The skirt on my fender is not welded on but pressed like the rest

10. skirtless33

skirtless33

I have a set of 4 skirtless fenders that came from a 4dr. The front inter fenders are different also. The gas tank cover is indented not like other 33 or 34s.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I remember Old Cars Illustrated magazine, the one J. Neal East edited had a feature on the early 1933's. If I have time this weekend I'll go through my collection. That was one great magazine in its day!

12. zellerware

zellerware
    from dad's shop

13. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I had seen a skirtless 33 in some magazine, but never noticed the rear fenders were skirtless as well. Strange how natural it looks considering how natural, the normal skirted variety is.

Another possible thread derailment.....sorry, but I gotta ask!
    Anybody know if the fenders of 35-7 PICKUPS are partially tooled from the 33-4 PASSENGER fenders? I know they look CLOSE, but I wouldn't be surprised if the outer halves of the earlier passenger car fenders (33-4) were used to make the distinctive shape of the later (35-7 pickup) fenders.

Bruce?

14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

has anyone vgot pix of these cars ?? thank you .. steve

15. The image in the first post seem to be skirtsless, notice no overhang on the rear section of the front fender? Just kind like a wave rolling.

I too was trying to figure out the "skirtless" section

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"The V-8 Affair book has a pic of a skirtless front fender in the 33 section.

I guess if someone really wanted to, they could turn a regular set of 33 fenders into skirtless. They're novel, but look "too 32" on a 33 to me.

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thank you ........ steve

18. Absolutely!:cool:

Went and looked at a barn stored Vicky:eek: in North Carolina about 20 years ago. Finally struck a deal, but then he backed out.:mad: Got the pics somewhere.

19. old33ford

old33ford

PP 19-23 of the Nov-Dec V8 Times has an article by Dave Cole, with photos, that traces the history and development of Ford's use of this fender treatment. Charlie Ott's Vicky story follows on pp 25-26 with his own personal project.

20. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

In the mid 70s BOB WADE of stockton ca restored a maroon 2-dr sedan. He knew alot about them. WADES AUTO BODY STOCKTON CA.

21. Rem

Rem

22. titus

titus

i just about bought a 33 fordor with a full set of skirtless fenders on it. they were in good shape, i should have bought it.

jeff

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Just for those not familiar with British Fords...the Battersea B above is the version of the '32 Ford continued in '33-4 by Ford England, and is not a '34 Ford in terms of USA stuff, the Model 40.
    This is a regular '32 chassis with British body and a number of 1933 type styling changes in fenders, dash, etc.

24. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

I had only heard of 3 33's that had been found in the west with skirtless fenders. All were sedans and they had a 32 style spare mount over the gas tank. At the time there were no documents in the Ford history to show proof which was quite normal for Ford when they made quick or short period changes. However, these 3 sedans were all documented as true 33's by the Early Ford V-8 Club.