Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally realized what I want

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tumbler, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Tumbler

Tumbler
    from Tucson, AZ

I got my first car project when I was 16 (18 now). I bought a '68 Plymouth Sport Satellite. I started that project with very little knowledge, so things that would have taken me a few hours now, took me a lot longer but I learned a ton. I always thought I wanted a classic car to drive daily. That was my goal on that plymouth. A lot of engine work and a roof skin swap later I had a streetable car. It had a #'s 383 with a real nasty cam, some head work and all the bolt on goodies. I ended up selling that car due to lack of funds and that the car didn't turn out to be the best daily driver (what I thought I wanted at the time). Since then I've been through 3 other muscle cars, just small block stocker cars that I sold relatively quickly. I phased out of the muscle car thing and I've been interested in hot rods for the better part of 6 months. Been posting on here and reading up on the tech articles, builds etc...

I finally realized why I didn't like those other 3 muscle cars, and why I miss that satellite so much. I don't want a daily driver. I want a bare bones street brawler. I want to build a simple, functional hot rod that is just plain nasty. Granted it might take a while, I'll probably get it running/driving and then improve as money and time permits.

Anyways thanks for all the great threads on this forum. Its nice to have a forum that isn't filled with a ton of O/T crap. I'm on the hunt now for my starting point. I talked with a fellow HAMBER that lives in the same city as me, Bill Van Dyke, and hes given me a few leads and numbers for people who might be able to help me out.

Any suggestions on a relatively easy first rod project? I have my favorite models, but to be honest anyting from the 1920s-1950s looks awesome to me. I've got a knack for tracking down cars and have a few in mind that I haven't followed up on. Hopefully this weekend I can make a rounds and see if anyting is for sale.

I know its not HAMB friendly, but heres my first car project (before/after). I won the Mopar Muscle Young Gun's award with this car, had a little 1 page write up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Good luck on your quest for vintage tin.

3. drflex

drflex

sure is alot of snow on the sun.

4. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Love the car. Always wanted one with a 440 w/ 4spd with pistol grip shifter. put some tiny 15x5 up front and 15x8 or 15x10's in the rear and have some fun.

5. ken1939

ken1939

What is easy? Man its wide open. Start with "whats your budget". I say a quick and fun car is 64 Falcon Convertables. Lots of parts, lots available.

That Satellite is in good shape, muscle cars cost $$ to build sometime.

6. Tumbler

Tumbler
    from Tucson, AZ

That was taken back when we lived in CO. We moved back to the surface of the sun in '07.