Register now to get rid of these ads!

Summit aluminum sbc heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unkledaddy, Nov 13, 2008.

1. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

2. moter

moter

3. Check out the pro comp aluminum heads on Ebay - they are even less at 650 a set shipped. They seem to be good stuff too. I'd like to hear from some folks that have run them as well.

4. raven

raven

I'd stay away from the Edelbrock perfrormer stuff.
    Summint's brand parts are usually re-branded from good suppliers.
    Their double roller timing chain is a Cloyes part.
    I'd try out the heads you are referring to. I'm sure they'd be a lot better then the Edelbrock items.
    r

5. moter

moter

What has your experience been with the Edelbrock heads?

6. Larry T

Larry T

7. I've had good results w/Edelbrock, and they're made right here in the U. S. of A

8. Two possibilities on these:

1) They are Chinese sourced.

2) Summit happens to own Trick Flow (TFS)...so they possibly are cast and/or machined in-house.

I'd call 'em up & ask. :)

I would not touch ProComp products with a ten foot pole, due to their business practices...it's easy to make cheap products when your research & development come from other companies. :rolleyes:

9. Just remember, there are no steam holes drilled in these head's. If you need them you need to drill them yourself.

Bob

10. brandon

brandon

a friend's street 406 made just shy of 500hp & torque with a pair of small RPM heads.... worked good for him....though i'm pretty sure they were probably checked out before the shop installed them.... brandon:D

11. 54BOMB

54BOMB

The World sportsman II's are about the same price as well.

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know someone running Summit's BBC performance heads and they are name brand heads with the name milled off and the Summit name/logo milled into the heads. That is a quote right from their tech department. I can't remember who actually made them or sure, but I wanna' say they were DART. Same should be true for SBC heads.

13. Scoot, you may well be correct.

One thing to consider, though, is that BBC heads are considerably more difficult to machine than SBC heads due to the valve layout, (look at the issues with Pro Comp BBC stuff- ), so Summit may have elected to get a better source for those...or not. ??

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Word. That could totally be the case. Not sure.

15. wicked willys

wicked willys
    from ne ohio

I'd call and ask where they are made. I know they have been having alot of stuff done in china. For instance their cheap intakes and the 3x2 they have out. Look at the sbc intakes and it shows. The castings look like I did it in my basement!

16. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Good luck with that one. I worked there for a while and they wouldn't tell me. Word is they have an agreement with a lot of the large vendors. They pay them x dollars to put the Summit name on the stuff. I know their cams are Comp stuff.

17. RacerRick

RacerRick

I would use the Jeg's branded heads. They are made by Canfield and are very good quality. They are listed at $569 each for their 197cc heads. They flow a little over 250cfm on the intake.

ProComp is chinese crap.

The Aussie heads you guys are thinking of are Pro Action heads and are now owned by RHS in the USA. They are actually very good heads for the money and the set that I saw was machined accurately and nicely. I was looking at a pair of 200cc heads, and was thinking of getting a pair myself. They are listed at $640ea complete and flow over 280cfm as cast on the intake, and 200+ on the exhaust. Pretty impressive.

18. 54BOMB

54BOMB

A co-worker of mine just got some of those Aussie heads and he likes 'em.

19. brandon

brandon

i was curious if those flow numbers were the real deal or just inflated hype....i've been looking at using a pair on a small blower motor instead of my old p&p'd bowties...big difference in flow numbers between mine that trick'd and those out of the box......i know a friend ran a pair their cnc'd iron heads and made big power over his old brodix aluminum's..... brandon:D

20. RacerRick

RacerRick

I didn't flow them, but they looked like they could flow some air. Nice port contours and the valve job was even nice. The numbers I got were off their website.

My friend has an older SF110 flowbench that is known to be stingy and he said he didn't think the numbers were inflated much compared to what he got out of the heads. But he can only flow them at 10" and then has to use a conversion to 28" which does fudge the numbers slightly.

21. moter

moter

I am still wondering what is wrong with Edelbrock cylinder heads.....:confused:

22. I know I'm askin for it. But, I've run the alloys without drillin steam holes on 400's and have had NO PROBS

23. nothing

24. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

We tried a set of ProComps on one of our shop engines, they didn't even make it through the break-in on the dyno and they were cracked around the bolt holes.

I second getting a set of the RHS heads (old Pro Actions), excellent head right out of the box. I'd almost say that the Edelbrock's would be a good street head, and the RHS's a step above, depends on what your budget is.

25. Budget and application. How big's the motor, cam, RPM range.....Race? Street? Both?

26. Chicken Scratch

Chicken Scratch

Summits cast iron SBC heads are Dart, so my guess is the aluminum ones are also.

27. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

Exactly Groucho, there's alot of variables in deciding the right cylinder head. I like the way you think.:D:cool:

28. yekoms

yekoms

I'm with Groucho... What's wrong with Edelbrock heads?
    They had an issue a few years back with their small block Ford heads because guys were changin' to 7/16" studs, big spring pressures and breakin' the stud bosses off.
    It was not Edelbrocks fault but, they replaced the heads and made them stronger in the stud area.
    I don't trust any "out of the box" stuff with out goin' over it. Yep it sucks to sell a guy brand new heads and have to charge him to check over them but, it's way better than havin' him stick a valve or something.
    Smokey

29. moter

moter

Raven...could you explain the reason you said this?

Thanks

30. skip86

skip86
    from Florida

I dont know about Summits Aluminum heads,but i,m working on a friends Small Block Chevy and he just brought back parts from Summit in Georgia and the new harmonic balancer is made (give you 3 guesses)China,who would have thought? also there Summit (good)timing set ,in a white generic box has a made in the U.S.A.3 way key crank gear,and a nice looking cam gear,however the chain is made in Japan,remember the good old days when those chrome timing chain covers for small block Chevies,and these chrome smallblock valve covers used to have those little Gold stickers with the Taiwan on them,well that stuff was automotive Caviar compared to the Crap that is being sold today,its getting near impossible to find any so called Speed parts that were not made in some Asian country,and Chinese stuff just plain Sucks.:(