Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine swap question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vinehillbilly, Nov 10, 2008.

1. vinehillbilly

vinehillbilly

Hello people. I have a question you guy's might be able to help me out with. I've got a '57 with a 235 that "I think" just threw a rod and for sure lost the rear main. I'd like to rebuild it. But I have a buddy with a rebuilt 250. The question is, how much of a pain other than motor mounts, would it cause? Is it worth it?
    Any info or experience with this would help. Thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

Motor and transmission mounts (you could use the side mount kit for the V8, and the stock bellhousing for the 55-57 V8, although if your car has a PG you'd have to get a V8 PG to keep that trans, or better yet swap in a later trans with a rear crossmember like you would with a V8), throttle linkage, wiring, exhaust...it would be a relatively easy swap. Not many tri 5s get later model sixes.

I've seen a couple 235s lock up because the timing gear broke, it's relatively easy to fix it.

3. belair

belair

That would be a good swap. Lots of trans choices, a no-brainer if the engine is cheap. and good.

4. Fast55097

Fast55097
    from S.A. TX

Seems like you could get a small block for the same headache and $. Much more fun. Use early 50's valve covers and older intake to keep the 50's look. Motor drops right in.

5. vinehillbilly

vinehillbilly

Thanks guy's. I would love to put in a small block ,but the price of the 250 would only be my time for a little side job. That seems pretty reasonable to me. would I have to get new intake & exaust?

6. belair

belair

the 235 parts won't fit the 250