Register now to get rid of these ads!

I've been offered a teaching position, I wonder if I should take it.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BISHOP, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I substitute taught for a year, and was requested repeatedly for the high school auto shop class. In fact, it was my first substitute assignment, and when the woman at the front desk found out I had never sub'd before, she look at me and said "I'm SO sorry...please don't think that the rest of your classes are going to be like this. I can't believe they gave you these kids as your first class."

It was great. The kids knew I was a gear head, and they respected me for it. The fact that I told them to do what their regular teacher assigned, and at the end they could read through my tack of Hot Rods and other car mags didn't hurt.

I absolutely think you should do it. There are a TON of upsides, and very few downsides. You'll get to play with cars from 8am to 3pm, and more importantly, you'll get to enjoy being a positive influence on high school kids. You can build a car and introduce them to drag racing, SCCA, hot rodding...whatever you decide you want to do.

AND, you'll be done at 3pm most days. Yeah, there's a lot of after-hours work, but by and large, for an autoshop teacher, you're done when you go home at the end of the day.

There are a ton of upsides, and only a couple of downsides. (Politics...having to go to the school dances, etc.). Do it. you won't be sorry.

-Brad

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

I talked with the admin. just a while ago, and I get to sit in on classes thursday and friday. I think this will be the determining factor on if I take the job or not. I think with all that has been said, and how I feel about the good and bad, Im going into it with a good attitude.
    I was told that with the background I have, as far as hands on training that I could pretty much teach the way I want within the boundries. This means if I want to teach paint tech, then I can teach the history of paint and how it has evolved into what you can do with it. Not just collision repair. I can teach airbrush work, candies, custom graphics, pinstriping, you name it. Along with fab work, meaning custom metal work, welding, fiberglass, carbon, and on and on. This could be great. History of paint. How everything works. How cool would that be.
    Ill let ya know how the class sit in goes. For everyone that has responded, thank you. It means alot to me that you have taken the time and have given some down to earth advice. It was the reason I called the school back.
    Thanks again, BISHOP

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  3. As a high school student of shop class [1962-1960 I can say the instructor helped shape the way I lived the rest of my life. I was able to be his assistant shop instructor in my senior year and it was one of the few classes I got a passing grade in. He was tough......got a "whack" with his paddle if you got out of line in class and you didn't quickly forget it.
    Point is, you have an opportunity to help shape the direction some students may take after they graduate.

4. I'm an Automotive Technology instructor for a local Career Center and love it. I learned a long time ago I couldn't teach the kids how to work on cars, I can only guide them. The one thing I can do is introduce them to HOT RODS. You would be suprized what they don't know.

Be prepared for "Tuners", that was an area I had to learn. Last year out of12 kids in my second year class, we had 8 high performance 4 bangers. One was in the 12's. This is the hot rods of today.

We are building a non- HAMB drag car right now. The kids want to work on it all the time.

The biggest reward of this job is not the time off but the returning students that tell you what you did for them. I will get at lest 3 or 4 calls or drop-bys from my former students a week. Now that will keep you going when you want to pull your hair out. You can make a difference in somebodys life.

Mick
    p.s. and things like happens
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254693

5. BISHOP

BISHOP

Well, I sat in on class thursday, I think the classes overall were great. A few unruley students but most were attentive and into the subject.
    I would be teaching three different subjects to seven, yep I said seven different classes. The subjects are, 1. Intro to metal work.....
    2. Paint and collision.......
    3. Vocational automotive class
    The classes are 15-25 students per class. Im a little nervous as how to remember that many kids names and keep paperwork, grades, and attendance. Its something else.
    Overall I think it could be a good thing, but the money is not that great.
    I said I would give an answer on monday. Ill be praying this weekend.. BISHOP

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

But the money is steady. Also do not forget to add in the value of the benefits. Most schools have a state run retirement pension plan ... Time goes back quickly ... my wife and I both retired in our 50's ... with the monthy retirement check for the rest of our lives. :D

7. rt66jt

rt66jt
    from York, PA

Bishop, the money may not be great to start, but it's guaranteed. Raises are usually automatic, too. Benefits are killer. Financial considerations should be the last of your concerns.

Like any successful project, preparation and organization are key. It's hard to just "wing it." Having had your own shop, you should be able to deal with difficult people. You've budgeted, scheduled, trained, schmoozed, and dealt with people who will not be satisfied no matter what you do; you have the skills.

I say try it. Find a mentor and rely on that person. The Administration will probably assign someone to mentor you, but feel free to approach anyone you think may be able to help, teachers are generally a supportive group.

Dang, y'all got me thinkin' should renew my credentials and get back in the game.

8. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Thats only about 120 students to keep track of namewise. Best thing I've learned with regard to names is that the 'unruly' ones stand out more and you'll remember their names first, and the ones who are the quietest will be the ones you have the most trouble with. It'll come to you faster than you realize. Hell, I remembered 50 student's names within 3 days this year, and it amazed the hell out of me!

And, one of the things we do now is give our kids a 'quote' to study and reflect a bit upon. One of my quotes from this week is one that I think fits here:

If you do what you love, you will never work a single day in your life.
    ~Confuscius

One of my planned quotes for this upcoming week is going to be "Never kick a cow pie on a hot summer day"

Now that is a life lesson to live by!

Good luck, enjoy, and your students will love you.

9. fiveofeen

fiveofeen

I have a trick for remembering names, great for car guys too. Find out what they drive, I can always remember a person by what they drive then the name is just associated with the car.

10. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

I am a teacher drop out because of the administrations I worked for, not teaching. I keep my cert. up just in case. Don't swat the paperwork crap, you get used to it. Also, just for thought, if it gives you steady work for a while and you decide to do somehting else, teaching always looks good on a VC.

11. Talk to other teachers in the school about the administration too. They will let you know for sure if the admin. is cool or total jerks. If a kid is a pain in the butt he or she will move on, if the administration sucks they can be there for years and years.

12. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Administration is the biggest kick in my ass to take the deal from my father (he's giving me his house and 19 acres 90 miles away from Tulsa).

As an example: Many of you sent $$$$ to help me with my Doghouses that we donated to the Tulsa SPCA last spring. Well, come to find out, according to my principal/boss, the entire project became "All about Newman" and not about the kids. That was total bullshit, but you get the picture. I've had jobs I absolutely loved, but the management make it unbearable or downright insulting.

13. There are good/bad admin everywhere.

My last principal told me lots of things, but didn't follow thru- my current principal thinks I hung the moon and dropped about 5K on a Smartboard for my room (I was one of 5 teachers to get one, but music teachers usually are usually last on the list for these kinds of items).

14. Jim P

Jim P
    from Tyler, TX

Mike,

I would think it's an opportunity to have steady hours. More time to work on your stuff. Not mention the plus side of a lot of your abilities are a dying trade. There is so much knowledge that needs to be passed on to these youngsters these days other than how to make a Honda loud. I wish I had payed more attention to my old man and others before they passed. Good luck with your decision.

Jim

15. stagernwings

stagernwings
    from tx

After 14 years my daughter gave up on kids. The parents are the big problem ,that said she taught ag and it was a better group of kids but not perfect. but it helps to learn to fight never turn your back and wear a vest especially with the kids . I will pray for you and your family good luck.c

16. aldixie

aldixie

I would go for it. My Wife has been teaching in the same school district for 18 years, the last 12 in an accelerated high school. We moved to the same town she teaches in. Kids from 12 years ago come up to her and say hello when we are out shopping. The pay isn't that great but recognition makes up for it.