Register now to get rid of these ads!

History MYTH...OR LEGEND? Jersey Devil found!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Since I was young, a tall tale has danced around me and the evidence has eluded me.

I grew up in a small town named Keyport. Keyport was deemed "the Gateway to the Jersey Shore", a small bay side town along the shores of New Jersey, a fishing town. A town where my Great Grandfather Louis Von Stultz helped start the local hardware store, Keyport's first bank, and his coal, feed, ice, and oil yard, Stultz Fuel.
    My Great Grandfather Walters was a commercial fisherman and lost his life in the New York Harbor (Graves End Bay) leaving my Grandmother Mimi fatherless at age five in 1918. My great grandfather Capt. Edward Madison Walters had sailed to NY to attend his sisters Christmas party, never to return home. He had received word that a storm thickened during his sisters party that evening.
    Capt. Walters climbed aboard his dingy and approached where his vessel had moored, his first and only mate was sent to shore, the waters too rough. Capt. Walters ship was found some years later, he had tied himself to the mast of his fishing vessel and went down with his ship. His body and ship were only found because a curious diver volunteered his service's some 10 years later.

My grandfathers, Babe and Whitey were both hunters. Whitey (moms Dad) also a sea captain, Babe (my name sake) an oil man. Both grandfathers shared tall tales of the old days most often with me. Whitey worked for my grandpop Babe and his brothers at our oil field Stultz Oil when fishing slowed down from the rougher winter weather. I grew up in a house across the street from the field and cut across the tracks to school every day. I would always stop in when my Grandfather's trucks would stop to refuel. My father, refers to it as a "coal yard education". Those were great days.

"Babe" as my grandfather was called due to his small stature was more the hunter. Grandpa Babe always talked of his hunting trips and adventures while we filled the old oil trucks with heating fuel for our customers homes. I always dreamed of hunting with the pair as a kid and thought that someday I would be right there with them. Unfortunately, I never did get that chance. I did however learn to shoot in the Marine Corp when I was just 18, just never got to hunt with Grand pop. I was a sharpshooter, one point away from being an expert, guess its in our blood!

Whitey was crazy, and everyone knew it. Grandpa Whitey always told stories that rang true. Most that gathered around him would tell stories after he walked off laughing hysterically. Stories of him biting heads of Seagulls for fun, I kid you not. I often would visit his house where he would trap the neighborhood cats, sometimes letting them go, sometimes keeping them for bait, and sometimes... he would snap their necks and throw them back over the fence. Again, I'm not kidding.

Whitey is a different man today. Now full of love and war stories. Nicknamed Whitey as a child from his blonde head of hair. He was also a medic in France in WW2 and received numerous medals some years later. It would be safe to say he is not as crazy due to losing his sight from the reflection of the ocean some years later. He gets out once in awhile, gets lost, and the coppers pick him up and return him home. Boy, is he a piece of work!

While all these men had their own backgrounds and characteristics, they all told tales of hunting, fishing, war, and... the Jersey Devil.

Both Grandfathers and all the men at the oil field talked of the Jersey Devil. Few, claimed to have seen him. I first heard these tales probably at the age of five or six, I was somewhat frightened those early years.

One year we got word that my grandfather "Babe" had caught something quite unusual. Word got back to town that a nest was found and a strange animal was caught. Could it be the Jersey Devil? I could not sleep... curious, yet disturbed. Unfortunately, I had school the next morning and the fuel yard windows were blanketed. Even the school kids had received news of a nest disturbed and a baby devil caught deep in the Pine Barrens. Deep in the pines, where the sun... it never shines!

The windows at Stultz Oil were very big, a large clock told people passing by the time, yet not much else stood in the showroom. That is, until my grandfather Babe caught and stuffed the baby Jersey Devil. Large crowds of young and old blocked the sidewalk and filled the windows elbow to elbow. But I weaseled my way through to lay eyes on the "Devil". It was true!

With wings like a bat, fangs like a vampire, and a devils tale...there it stood. It made the papers! Now everyone knew of the Jersey Devil in the Stultz windows... Hahahaaa!!!!

Whelp, years later I learned that before Babe was an oil man, he was also studying to be a dentist (wood teeth), and a taxidermist. So... the good ole Jersey Devil was a fake. DANG!

I had believed it for years... and yet still the stories of a devil would surface now and again. Why? Was there a devil? As you know, many books have since been written about the devil, what a mystery, what a legend!

Ok, now fast forward a few years...
    Now, my father worked the fuel trucks too, and I still stopped by everyday to check in.

What is that crazy, loud, echoing sound coming from the bay I asked? Why its the Jersey Devil, I was told. Hahahahaa, very funny!!!
    There is no Jersey Devil! Nothing terrorizing the shore, feeding on animals, scaring small children and families. It's B.S.!!!
    Dad laughed once again because he knew how the old guys taunted me with stories of the devil. Yet, I would once in awhile hear these strange sounds coming from our bay.
    Dad told me that infact, I was... hearing the Jersey Devil. A boat, ...sneaking into our bay!

The bay was not for racing, and the Coast Guard didn't appreciate this chaos. Yet, a small boat would still sneak into the waters and tear it up from time to time.

Once again, I was left wondering if this boat was a myth or legend?

JERSEY DEVIL... Found!

More of this story later... and the the strange connection to me. Full circle!

Pictures include:
    Mimi with one of the Stultz Oil trucks, young "Babe" and his catch, and the 1st pics of "The Jersey Devil", more to follow. Auto/historic related I promise.

I gotta get some work done today, hahahaaa. Stay tuned!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. I think your looking for the H.A.M.C.B. The Hokey ass mythical creatures board.

3. Dont worry...you won't be dissappointed!

Tales of the secret room at Babe's house, and a New Jersey goodie... with a 97 on top!

Attached Files:

4. I think I had a date with her back in '65 when I was stationed at Ft. Monmouth.
    Just a one nite quickie.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008

5. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Jersey Devil was in the Jackson pines.

6. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Cool story so far Dirtyest:D Can't wait to hear the rest!

The Jersey Devil's story originally takes place down at Leed's Point on the Bass river near Wharton State Forest. I grew up in and around the Pine Barrens of Jersey. The story started in the 1700s. I also did a character of the Devil as a advertisement for a local Jeep dealership during highschool. I'll post it if I can find it.

7. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

My wife was from the pine Barrens area. Yes i knew of that story. The Devil was everywhere in Jersey. I had afriend whose father was called Keyport and he was a fisherman in Keyport in the late 40s early 50s.
    Real name Doug Foley.

8. 31whitey

31whitey

rode dirtbikes in the pine barens once
    Those jersey boys freaked me out on the way there with the devil stories.
    Never in my life did I try that hard to NOT be the last dude in the pack.
    And I know if I would have gotten lost or even dropped from the pack, I would have cried like a baby

9. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

It's Real use to live in the Pines,,and if you have met Pineys ,,lol There's some strange goings on out there. Sure some is military but......... Chatsworth Pits ,,Batsto ,New Gretna hell even Ongs Hat

Yep seen some strange goings on out there

10. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Mel could it in fact be that perhaps the Jersey Devil is a long lost ancestor of yours and you are just trying to push the focus off that it is in your blood...LOL I know everytime we would be cruising the parkway down that way the old stories would always come up.

11. Great story. You going to be at Flemings on Saturday? Maybe we can haul that area in search of the Devil!

MRAK

12. sxdxmike

sxdxmike

wow you got me hooked. Some of you guys can really tell a story. You need to write a book! Who was it that would post childhood stories once a week? someone who grew up in So Cal i think? that was fun to read also...

13. Hahahahaaa. I'm actually outside in the garage painting a devil as we speak... waiting on paint to dry now, just need to line it.

Let me tell ya, My buddy Johnny lives down south in the Pines, and he ain't right, fact is, none of them boys are! Hahaaaa. He alone has told me a story or two to make your hair stand up on end!

And my father would hang in a place called the pits(deep in the pines) when he and my Mom first started seeing each other. There was an old crane back in the pits that they would gander down upon. They would drink and throw rocks at it. It had an old door that would swing and make terrible noise. They got the ballz one night to chain that door closed. By the time they got to the top of the hill, it was making noise again. My Dad tells the story real good.

For the record, he also dosed my Mom with a hit of acid the night I was concieved! He is a whole other story!
    Oh, that all went down in the back seat of a new 69 Goat that Dad had recently traded his 56 Chev for. Hahahaaaaa...

Just found this pic of the 56 in the oil yard, before my time.

I have a pic of the Goat somewhere too... No, not the immaculate conception! Hahaaaaa....

Attached Files:

14. More pictures from grandpa's secret room.

As a child, I never was allowed into this room. Last Thanksgiving, I snuck in and took these pics. In a few days I'll be heading back for more turkey and secrets! Please excuse the mess... but nobody but Babe went in there, its like a secret vault.

We did how ever sneak into the basement and found a stash of eyeballs way back when, we thought they were real for years until me an cousin Kippy got the balls to steal this stuff. There may be a few still left, I'm going to bring them home this Thanksgiving. Grandpop is finally giving stuff away.

I have to wright Ryan and found out if I may post some pics of the guns I found. I won't post them unless he himself gives me the OK.

Attached Files:

15. ELD

ELD

I've spent weekend's camped and sometimes stranded from underestimating a puddle, deep in the barren's, and late at night it is a scary place, you can't help but think of all the stories we heard as kid's and night noices take on a life of thier own.

Building a fire and waiting for the rest of your story....

I thought you already found the jersey devil in a 50 ford door...

16. VanHorton

VanHorton

hahaha wild stuff Mel! gotta hear the rest of it... Me and derek were thinkin about commin by this weekend...

17. unkamort

unkamort

Wow! Look close to the wall. Is that the fabled left handed monkey wrench too?!

18. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I always wondered why you were so hairy. Ha! Great story, keep it coming.

P.S. Thank god its November, you're finally off my wall!

19. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I heard stories of the "Devil" while I was stationed at Lakehurst NAS in 1968. Whoever caught the mid-watch in the old derigible hangers was always aware of creaks and groans in the building and sometimes a scream or two. It was always when you were alone in that great big open hanger. Sent shivers down my spine lots of times.

20. We got squashsnatch out here. :( Did I spell that right?:D

21. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

well growing up in the pine barren's i heard all of the jersey devil stories, even met people who swear they seen it and lived to tell about it. anyway how about a ham & egg at the cornucopia?

oh by the way, I lived with the one and only JERSEY DEVIL for a few years and lived to tell about it!!
    did you ever meet my EX WIFE?

22. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

wow 68' got in a ass kickin fight in the lakehurst nco club for not removing our hats, 6 army drill sgts from dix went over to the class 6 store and went to the non com for a drink, well the bell sounded and we were told we had to buy around for the house if we were under cover . well, we didnt take our hats off for anyone so the fight was on, lots of navy guys and then the marine mp's. took our hats off the next time over.... back to the pines they were spookey at night for sure, and as okies we heard the tales guite often ....

23. Ok, part 2. Years pass...

Must be about ten years ago now. I was working on building a bar on the beach in a small town called Sea Bright, a large tiki hut made of cement, white cedar, and thatching that I designed and built. What a job! Bikinis and beer everywhere... A crazy little town here in NJ with both bay and ocean on both sides. Often on the news, always a flood.

On the other side of that town, I also got a job building a bar in a basement on the bay for a real hip family. I talked them into letting me build it out of steel! Ha, did I learn a lot of lessons on that job!

Before I got into cars, I actually worked for some NY designers as an artist/builder. Working with them, I realized that my ideas seemed much cooler, and off I went designing everything. No formal training, hahaaaaa. The pirate way!

After I would drop off my materials at both job sites that summer, I would then take my 1941 single lung BSA to work. Couldn't pass up cruising the beach on hot summer days. Boy, was that bike a butte! Being on that bike, helped me cross paths with an older gentleman on a 1930's Indian that summer. We became quick friends that day and have crossed paths a few times over the years. Back then I was just a young kid, bout 26 I'd guess. My new friend, probable 66.

Those days, I knew zero about cars....zilch. In fact, I blew up all my first cars and left them for dead. I played drums my early years in a hardcore band, and it was all I cared about, figured it was my future. Ha ha, wrong again.
    That bike drew me into the car scene. Young guys started buying bikes like crazy, and I wanted out. So I sold that bike and bought my first 1929 Ford Tudor since nobody young was building any cars and I wanted what everyone else wasn't into. I was hooked!

Now over the course of a few years, me an that old friend on the Indian have crossed paths a few more times. Each time he realizes that I really like the way things were done in the old days and we have a similar tastes for cars, bikes, and history. We start to run into each other at auctions for cars and tools, then Hershey.

One day he finally comes to visit me at my garage. Now he knew I was into the old timey stuff having seen my open hood flattie powered 29 pick up years ago, and a few old bikes. But, he straight up flips out when he walks in the door that day.
    It just so happened to be a good day that afternoon. Flattie powered everything in the garage. Two 32 Ford roadsters, two 34 three windows, and a handful of Model A coupes, roadsters, and sedans. Lots of Ford bodies as well, sitting in the tall grass waiting for there day. My 57 Pan head, and my 36 Harley/Indian "Wall of Death" project really caught his old eye too! That was the moment I believe when the light bulb went on for my old friend!

Ok, this is where the story gets good!

Like I said, he knew I was into it, but never like this.
    Now he turns to me and sez, boy... do I have something for you. I found the Jersey Devil!

Excuse, wait a minute, what?

Yup, the Jersey Devil!

I'm now shaking with excitement, what the hell is it? I need it! Hahahaaaa... An old bike or crazy 50's chopper, a hairy bat winged, vampire, devil monster? What is it!?!?!

It's a boat kid! A really bad ass boat that a bunch of kids built from scratch to terrorize the bay with. A Flattie powered boat! The real McCoy, a real "Son of a Bitch" kid!
    Yeah...he curses!

Could it be? Naaa... too unlikely. But it must? Either way, it's just too weird of a connection to my fathers story of an old boat in our little bay. What is with this Devil and me?

My old friend then described this monster of a boat that afternoon. With every detail it became more clear that this boat was right up my alley, I salivated all over the garage floor that day. My old friend had to leave soon after some quick details (too quick for me)and told me there was more to the story, he would tell me all about it at a later date. But you gotta see this boat kid! It's hidden away in an old horse carriage building not to far from where I live. Soon!

I learned enough about the boat that I had a clear picture of her in my head. Me and my old friend tried to catch up a few times, and days and weeks past. One day I even sat outside staring in through the windows at her all covered up, but no old friend. There she was, under a dark red cloak. I kid you not! (I need to get more pics)

When will I see this so called "Devil''?

Attached Files:

24. John O

John O
    from Central NJ

Great story Mel

Mother Leeds' 13th child...

Attached Files:

25. Diamond49

Diamond49

What? I ran out of story here. Hurry back with the rest of the story. I'm on pins and needles here.

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Tom Groholski is the Jersey Devil. :D He is neither lost, nor hairy. :rolleyes:

27. John O

John O
    from Central NJ

Hmmmm...coincidence or subliminal message?

Attached Files:

28. Man, never meant for the story to get this long. But why we are talking... this is the building I once lived in for two years with my best friend and our three dogs. We showered on the beach, surfed when we wanted, chased bums, and raised future skaters that parents just dropped off to us. Boy were they crazy!

In the opening credits, when they pan out to show the building in its entirety. There is a yellow sign with an arrow pointing towards 4 big grey doors. I lived in there. So did my freshly aquired 29 sedan. Once again, the coppers didn't know we was there man!

Here is the building today getting a full renovation. Excuse Bruce... he really is a cool guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAkNOcyStac

This was my living room...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLkQR2wHLz0&feature=related