Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville: a 242-mph ride in a 700-horse '53 Studebaker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsters.com, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

2. dieselgeek

dieselgeek
    from Omaha, NE

Muncie 4-speed, beefed up, and a gear vendors with a very deep overdrive. You can hear him drop in the overdrive if you listen carefully to the video.

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

That made my nuts vibrate!:eek:

4. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Gary is a great guy, a real gentleman. He has answered myriad questions and allowed me to take measurements and pictures of every part of this car before we built the Salt2Salt car. He was involved in that straight-8 buick you may have seen on the salt as well, and may be gunning for our record in the not to distant future. You can bet whatever he builds will be first class!
    Greg

5. gonmad

gonmad

I thought I remember him telling me it was a Jerico with a GV overdrive.

6. FoundSoul

FoundSoul

You're correct on that. It's a Jerico with GV overdrive. Good ole' 'Geek only helps out with about 25 other cars along the same vein as GH's. I guess they start to bleed together after a while ;).

7. comp

comp
    from So. IN.

:D funny

8. GH

GH

Many thanks for all those kind words about the #787 Studebaker. The car is a dream to drive, does not wander around, goes absolutely straight as an arrow. It sure is a lot of fun, just you, the car and the salt.

9. We made the fiberglass front end & cowl hood, and it's soooooo cool to look out the windshield at it while flying down the salt.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  10. gonmad

gonmad

Gary just sent me pics of his Willy's to post.

did I mention? IT WAS AN AWESOME CAR!!!!

Attached Files:

11. GH

GH

I purchased a 27 T roadster body and track nose from Speedway Motors in about 1986. The guy I talked to was a Rich Venza. Is that you? I picked the parts up at the Cowtown Nationals in KCMO. Thanks Jimmy for putting the photos on.

12. GH

GH

Also, Rich, do you know Jerry Hoffman? He lives in your city, has diyautotune.com. He helps us on the salt with the tuning.

13. Hey GH, it was great taking a ride along with you in your Studebaker. Looking out over the hood and seeing the ground shaking out on the horizon is un real. Maybe some day I'll get to go to Bonneville and actually see you run. Anyway, thanks again.
    Later,
    Dick

14. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

My buddy Mike painted Gary's Stude -twice in fact! I'll have to send this to him. :cool:

15. FoundSoul

FoundSoul

You'll have to tell Mike that Gary does all he can to baby that paint job too. We like'd to never talked him into taping up the seams in the front end this year trying to eek out every last bit of a MPH ;).

But he came around....

16. Holy god. thats insane. thats pretty fucking cool.

17. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I posted this up on the import forum I belong too also,we are more old school anyway,they love your car. What car guy wouldn't? there are a number of guys who are running turbos on the FI version of these old iron block engines, and most of them are running megasquirt also.

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Awesome ride Gary!

Greg

19. Gary does have an awesome Studebaker and I've always felt that that car should be capable of running in the high 260s. I meet Gary at Bonneville and spoke briefly with him. I also run a 53 Studebaker in Classic Altered class.

20. gonmad

gonmad

<EMBED height='"344"' type='"application/x-shockwave-flash"' width='"425"' src='"http://www.youtube.com/v/pDgOyDFFMEM&hl=en&fs=1&"' allowscriptaccess='"always"' allowfullscreen='"true"'>http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDgOyDFFMEM

Here is a new video of Gary's ride. This is his latest tune before he goes to Bonneville. Just thought I'd share it for everyone to see.
    Gary is a cool dude.

</EMBED></EMBED></OBJECT></EMBED>

21. hodges

hodges
    from Indiana

Thanks for the ride I hope to go there soon.Congrats

22. frank spittle

frank spittle

That was thrilling to watch. Congrats Gary. It is nice to see another '53 Studebaker on the salt. I have loved those cars since seeing Hot Rod's coverage of Joe Pisano's red 392 Hemi powered car over 45 years ago.