Register now to get rid of these ads!

Late model 4 cylinder swaps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by draggin50, Nov 7, 2008.

1. draggin50

draggin50
    from Ohio

I was just curious if there was anyone out there that has done some late model 4 cylinder swaps. I'm looking at putting a 2.3 Ford turbo 4 motor and 5 speed in a 32 Panel Delivery ( I know I'll hear it now). The owner is wanting something with some go behind it and gas mileage also.

2. I've gotta turbo 2.3 L in my Comet, but it's not EFI. What kind of info are you looking for?

Thanks,
    Kurt

3. draggin50

draggin50
    from Ohio

Pretty much any info. Pictures would be nice also. We had planned on running a fuel injected 2.3 turbo with and intercooler. I have saw some in magazines using the GM Quad 4 but not alot on the ford 2.3

4. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

5. draggin50

draggin50
    from Ohio

Thanks. I just started reading it and I still have alot to learn. Alot of good information buried in these pages.

6. tjm73

tjm73

If you go the EFI route this will probably help. The '87-'88 Turbo Coupe is the best donor....

Attached Files:

7. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

2.3 ford has got to be the most commonly swapped 4 cyl in recent history. There's a TON of swap info out there, especially FI/turbo. But you need to be on SVO mustang and T-bird forums to find it.

8. draggin50

draggin50
    from Ohio

Thanks for all the help. I'm looking at using the 88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe and its good computer. I've checked those web sites also and found much good info.

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

A recent issue of R&C (or StreetRodder) had an article about the Echotech, Zetech and Quad-4 four bangers and their hot rod potential

10. tjm73

tjm73

11. draggin50

draggin50
    from Ohio

I have read that article and there is alot of info on all the other 4 cylinder swapps that might be interesting. The quad 4 seems nice but they had head and head gasket issues.

12. ange 33

ange 33
    from over here

quad 4 rods .com he also does 2.3 & echo

13. Ice man

Ice man

Livingin the Islands we gota do with what we got. Was given a 2001 Jeep 2.5 4 banger / 5 sp and shes now in my 29 Pk Up. Got rid of the electronics and FI. Sent the dizzy to FS Ignitions, in OK. and they added a mechanical advance, and S/S pick up and a coil. I added a home made manifold and 2 barrel Rochester and shes a runner. Hope to have it on the road soon. Iceman

Attached Files:

14. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

22R (22RT T = TURBO)

22R IS A TOYOTA 4 can get them cheap with a 5 speed tranny. they even make a dual side draft carb manifold for it...

15. First you must remember that the '32 panel delivery has the aerodynamics of a Greyhound bus. If you indeed have a panel delivery (the BB chassis and not the passenger chassis) you also have the weight of a Hummer. (all right, I am exaggerating slightly). Neither of these will help gas mileage. Don't make any promises about gas mileage. Usually you don&#8217;t drive this type of vehicle enough to worry abut gas mileage. Having said that. if you happen to have a sedan delivery (passenger car chassis) I would suggest the Chevy II/Iron Duke/Mercruiser series of engines. A standard adapter used to adapt the V8 Chevy to the early Ford transmission will connect these engines to the early Ford V8 transmission. Of course the stock transmission will bolt to the stock rear end. Everything clears. Painted Ford green they really look like they belong in there. They range in displacement from 151 to 181 cubic inches. If the owner ever decides to restore the vehicle everything unbolts. I have had one of these engines in my &#8217;32 roadster for 25 years.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Charlie Stephens<o:p></o:p>

16. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Volvo B-18 and B-20 with twin carbs :) and teh Old Chevy Nova 153

17. easyrider47

easyrider47

I got a nice lakes style header for a 2.3 that would look good on your modifieds. See my ad in the classifieds.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. draggin50

draggin50
    from Ohio

Yes its a panel delivery and it does have the aerodynamics of a brick. He is just wanting something different as in the 2.3 turbo and still they can make 200 hp easily. Hes in his 60's so speed is never going to be an issue but if it needs to get out of its own way it will be able to. I'll post pictures as soon as possible.

19. If you're staying EFI, I recommend keeping it mostly stock/simple. I think someone on the turbford.org forum used to say that because some people would try swapping and hopping it up at the same time, had problems, and were asking for technical help. I think it made it that much harder because they changed all kinds of things. YMMV, probably depending on EFI experience.

Supposedly Pinto/MII front sump oil pans are available for cheap from auto parts stores, but they may not have the pickup.

It might be hard to find a cylinder head that's not cracked. That may be more for finding one at the junkyard since sometimes these cars seem to be abused. If you're rebuilding the head, a Ranger roller cam can be found at the junkyard in some years of Rangers and Mustangs. These 2-plug heads have different intake manifolds that leave no room for a distributor (EFI or Duraspark), so it'd be a custom manifold or use the distributorless ignition (which would add complexity).

A front mount intercooler should be better than the stock TurboCoupe's (TC), but it adds to the plumbing.

The 87-8 TC comes with a smaller IHI turbo. Garrett T3's come on earlier TC's and Merkur Xr4ti's. It seems to me the IHI's are easier to find in good shape. Using a T3 would mean more plumbing, depending on your intercooler choice. People have been using bigger Holset turbos and turning up the boost.

Stock exhaust manifolds can be cracked, but the 87-8 TC's should have the E6 (I believe) that are better than the older E3's. A header can be bought or made, or an exhaust manifold can be made from Weld Ells.

Thanks,
    Kurt

20. Well .... two weeks ago I bought 2 1/2 2.0 Pinto motors , this evening I bought a used turbo , and intercooler , so I'm onboard . Ummmm... I don't actually know what car I'm going to put in yet but who cares ?

21. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

Here's some shots of the Quad 4 in my roadster dressed up with goodies from Quad 4 Rods.

Attached Files:

22. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I have a 2 liter Ford Zetec in my 29 lakes modified. Use Quad 4 adaptor to Borg Warner 5 speed and have a early mag quick change. I use Hilborn electronic injection with a Pantera Inc. ECU.
    Pics attached.
    Rex

Attached Files:

23. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

I'm building a turbo Mercruiser 3.0L aka Chevy II motor. Shooting for 300 hp with 15 psi of boost. Probably going to build a Megasquirt system. Will be going in my '29 Tudor Sedan. I'm hoping to find an off the shelf (cheap) SBC blower piston since the 3.0/181 has a 4" bore.

Four bangers FTW.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. draggin50

draggin50
    from Ohio

Well we are picking up a complete 87 turbo coupe with a 5 spped. I'll keep everyone up on the swap and how it turns out. Should be fun.

25. HotRod33

HotRod33

There is a model a roadster pickup running around here that has the turbo coupe moter and 5 speed in it he also used the rearend....He told me that he gets 27 miles to the gallon on the highway.....I watch for your updates on your projest.............

26. budd

budd

i just got myself a ranger with a 2.3-5 speed, i'm driving it some before i swap it into a 27 sedan, its fuel injected and i would like to keep it that way but hell theres alot of wireing, anyone have pics of there injected 2.3 wireing job?, paid $300 for the truck.

27. thesupersized

thesupersized

This is the HAMB...The Jalopy Journal was formed to spread the gospel of traditional hot rods and kustoms...not to discuss putting Ford Contour engines in a model a...

a thread dedicated to traditional 4 cylinders would be more acceptable...
    this a nice 4 banger...not sure who's car it is though..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. draggin50

draggin50
    from Ohio

I guess small block chevys are ok then???

29. Weasel

Weasel

Fuckin' Jurassic PC Police - so how about discussing putting a Model A engine in a Ford Contour - that suit you then?:confused:

30. draggin50

draggin50
    from Ohio

I know!!! There is alot of things that people may do to thier car that I may not approve of doing to mine but hey Its thiers. If they ask me a question and I know an answer I will help even if I dont approve of thier idea. I'm not the one driving it or putting out the cash. Some people need to lighten up we all dont have banks coming to us to borrow money.