Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods wheel spacers or new wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40oz., Nov 5, 2008.

1. i am finally building a truly traditional hot rod for a customer who has been loyal and spent at least 200g on 2 street rods and a stock 63 t-bird at my shop. he decided he wanted to build something i could get excited about. so we purchased a 30 A and started from scratch. he gave me executive decision on how it should be built, he has input and demands, but on the whole I'm building it like i want. i chose to use a 48 ford truck rear with 4:10 gears and a width that is close to the body, well, before i had even began to build a frame he decided to order the tires and wheels from coker, 10'' pie crust ww slicks for the back and stock steel wheels. we agreed on the tire and wheel combo but he was a little fast on the credit card draw, he ordered them with out knowing any back space info. now the tires hit the body. pisses me off. but hey, it is his money. what do you all think of 1.5 wheel spacers and where can i get a set. 5 on 5.5. im not sure how good of an idea this is, should i just send them back to coker and let them adjust the back spacing? or just tell him he owns a pair of 10'' spares, and buy another set with the correct offset?

2. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

I am not a fan of spacers. i would stay away from them if you can.

3. Abone29

Abone29

Man I'd be afraid of spacers that thick.Go for correct backspaced wheels.

4. James427

James427
    BANNED

Just buy two "deluxe" fenders with the spare wheel well in them and get him two more wheels.

5. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

spacers will work just fine.

6. 1BADSLED

1BADSLED

The spacers would work fine. If the wheels are just plain steel wheels replace the wheels. Good spacers will cost almost the same as new wheels.

7. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Sounds like you're going all out on the build. Why settle for spacers, get the real thing.

8. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

spacers cause more pressure on the axle bearings, and stress on the axles.I think with 1 1/2" spacers it would be a negligable amount, But you should get wheels that fit if you can afford it.

9. thats true, havent thought of that. any one know the best way to determine backspacing?

10. KIRK

KIRK

I've been running them for two years and have had no trouble.

11. hemi

hemi

Get a wider rear axle. :D

12. BISHOP

BISHOP

exactly!!!!

13. smart assed calli guys, pphhhtt. lol.

14. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Must be a California thing !! I was gonna say the same thing !

But at the least get the right offset on the wheels.

15. Weasel

Weasel

What you should look at are wheel adapters which bolt to the original wheel studs and then provide a second set of studs for the wheels to bolt to - either hub centric or lug centric depending on the wheels you have. They are available from 1.25" up from www.ezaccessory.com at around $60 pair.

16. hemi

hemi

If too much time hasn't passed, see if Coker will swap them with some with the right offset. Steel wheels can't be that much, if not, and sell off the other ones... or get a wider rear axle. :D Do it right, do it once.