Register now to get rid of these ads!

Problems getting the banger to start.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by remdam, Nov 3, 2008.

1. remdam

remdam
    from New Jersey

Seems every time I go to start the Tudor I forget at least one of the steps. Ignition Switch, timing, fuel tank, idle speed, choke, fuel flow. I always forget at least one. Anyway, went out Saturday morning and after a couple of tries got her started and went for a nice drive. One thing I noticed is that the starter will crank the engine with the ignition switch in the off position, is this correct?

<O:p</O:pI let her sit outside in the sun for the afternoon and went I went to put her away I had a problem. Tried to crank her over for a while with no go. Ok, I must be missing something, sure enough, forgot to open the fuel tank valve. Opened the valve and went to hit the starter button and nothing happens. WTF, starter will not turn. Check all the connections, get the meter out to check the volts, everything looks good. I’m thinking maybe I found a bad spot in the windings, I rock her around a little and can get a couple of faint noises like she’s trying to do something but then nothing. Oh well, it’s getting late so I roll her back in the garage and will dig into it in the morning.<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p

Up bright and early and out to the garage with plans to pull the starter. Well, why not give her one more try and wouldn’t you know it she roars to life. That’s great, except now I don’t know what the problem was and am not looking forward to getting stuck somewhere when it reappears.
    Any opinions on likely causes? Does it sound like a starter problem? Could it be an electrical connection problem? Is it possible to overheat the starter by cranking to long? I still have the original 6 volt system.
    Thanks, Russ
    29 Tudor<O:p</O:p

2. It is correct that the starter can turn the motor over with the ignition off. As far as the no crank, was the engine/ starter at operating temp? Look for corosion at the connections, or stiff cables. Measure voltage drops on both. Then look at the starter.

3. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

Make sure all connections are clean and in good shape. It sounds like you might need a starter.

4. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

Could the bendix be stuck?

5. yeah
    put the car in 3rd and get out and rock the car
    tk

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

7. remdam

remdam
    from New Jersey

Just picked the Tudor up a couple of weeks ago. I never thought to look for the hand crank. I'll have to look under the back seat. Is that where it would normally be?

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well, that's where Henry left it for you...someone else may have pinched it in 1936, though.
    The crank is your Real Man's AAA card...and nearly as easy to use, until you collapse with heart failure after cranking for 10 minutes with the gas valve closed...
    Also, see the lower leg on the choke lever?? You are supposed to twist a thin wire through that and leve the end poking out though the radiator. Without an accelerator pump, you give the engine a quick tug on the choke while cranking to give it a shot of gas.
    Putting together an original toolkit is fairly easy and makes an excellent trouble kit.

9. d_Seymour

d_Seymour
    from Michigan

Make sure you retard the spark, if not when the engine backfires it will lock the bendix. Backfire can also occur if there is an air leak in the intake. Sometimes the gasket on the carb is gone causing backfire that appear to be spark related.

10. toms tudor

toms tudor

Hey.. Had the same problem with my 30, I even put a new 6 volt battery in and it wound only crank a few turns the die. Went trought thhe whole system (not that hard, only a few wires) and found I had a few loose wires in the dash.. But it sounds like the same problem I had, Just getting used to how your car likes to start.. The first five or six times I took it out I either killed the battery or flooded it sitting there in a cold sweat while people watched!!Once you get the hang of it you'll be fine. Where you at in Jersey? I'm in Hamilton

11. remdam

remdam
    from New Jersey

Thanks for all the comments. There was no crank in the car so i ordered one up, seems that i should at least have one handy so i don't end up stranded. I plan on going throught the electrical, like you siad it can't take very long, there's not much to it. The battery wires look a little suspect so i will probably change them. Driving this thing is kick in the pants. Who knew you could have so much fun with only 30hp.

I'm in Delanco, a little town on the river between Philly and Burlington.

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Be sure to get heavy gauge 6V cables; 12 V ones are way too small.

13. toms tudor

toms tudor

If you need a hand give me a shout your only about 30 min. south. I got you beat I can have fun at 50mph HA! Tom

14. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

I'm having trouble starting my stock 27 T tudor also. The teeth on the ring gear are shot, especially at the four spots where the engine stops. The bendix kicks out at each of the wornout spots. If I doesn't start right up, I hit the starter and it just whirles; I then get out of the car and give the hand crank a little kick to get it out of the worn spot. One time I had to jack up the rear wheel and put it in gear while using the starter; that really helped. A note of WARNING.... when using the hand crank..... put your thumb on the same side as your fingers (example.... grab a wrench, now flip your thumb over and put it on the other side). If it backfires it will pull the crank out of your grip and not break your thumb. Also only pull UP on it, this will save you from breaking your arm if it should backfire.

Oh ya I had mine up to 42 mph with four people in it, used a GPS. :D

Attached Files: