Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Chaparral Racecars Gallery pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stroked, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Stroked

Stroked
    from DFW, TX

Past the HAMB date cutoff, but Ryan has written JJ entries on them... so I'm not calling it O/T :)

I've had this visit planned multiple times, but work always got in the way. I FINALLY got a chance to get there today :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chaparral 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chaparral 2D

[​IMG]

Chaparral 2E

[​IMG]

Chaparral 2F

[​IMG]

Chaparral 2H

[​IMG]

Chaparral 2J

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

“If I can come up with a better mousetrap that is within the regulations, I ought to be allowed to use it”
    - Jim Hall, October 1970

:D

Chaparral 2K

[​IMG]

And finally… me in a 2E :cool:
    BTW, the brake pedal was still hooked to the wing actuator.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and for a while now I’ve been collecting automotive art for my home office (as soon as I buy a house). So of course I came home with something today :eek:

#391 of 500. Signed by Phil Hill (Phil and Jim took 1 and 2 at the ’66 Laguna Seca Can-Am in the 2E’s.) and Jim Hall himself :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Chaparral's are gorgous racecars, very nice!

3. slammed1

slammed1

Some of my most favorite race cars of all times.

Attached Files:

4. rtp

rtp

Stroked .... now Iam stoked ! Been looking for pictures of Chaparral 2 . I have been thinking about building something like that for the road. I know it will be o/t here. I'll
    use late model fwd but in the rear for drive train. Then wear out the engish wheel on the body panels. Any more pics. of c2 ?
    thanks rtp

5. James427

James427
    BANNED

To me, that first one is the absolute sexiest race car EVER made.

6. Stroked

Stroked
    from DFW, TX

Ask and ye shall receive.
    I didn't get too many though. My camera battery wasn't cooperating and I was there right before closing time, but I can't complain too much; the staff was awesome and let me in for free! (so I bought a shirt to go with my signed print :) )

One of them relayed a funny story. Apparently when the 2J was running (only one racing season in '70 before being outlawed) the competitors weren't too happy. One (or maybe a few) approached Jim and told him that the fans were throwing rocks and dirt on their cars. His response... "If you don't like it, maybe you should get in front of me." :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  7. I raise my glass to no. 66 and Jim Hall, a true innovator and legend.

8. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

9. Met Jim a few years ago back home at The Goodwood Festival of Speed....Super nice guy.

10. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

I'm very jealous! Amazing cars, thanks for sharing the pics!

11. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

Stroked, did you have to remove the steering wheel on the photo-op car to fit. I pretty avg size and that thing is for wee-people. I held it in front for photos. I also came home with some art.

Attached Files:

12. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I am VERY jealous!!!! I never knew that there was a Chapparal museum. Jim Hall was my childhood hero, and his cars were my favorites.

My gosh, in the past two days we have Jungle Pam _and_ Chapparals!!!!! Is the HAMB great, or what!?

13. Stroked

Stroked
    from DFW, TX

Hell yes I had to remove it! LOL. I was wearing boots when I first tried getting in. Those had to come off too.

I saw that piece you got. Very tempting. I also almost bought the 2D Nurburgring poster, but then I saw the signed print... and, damn the price, I had to have it. LOL. I was like a kid in a candy store.

[​IMG]

14. Stroked

Stroked
    from DFW, TX

It is actually part of, and inside, the Permian Basin Petroleum Museum in Midland, TX (Jim's home).

http://www.chaparralcars.com/
    http://petroleummuseum.org/

15. noboD

noboD

Stroked, if you haven't already read it get a copy of "Chevrolet Racing...?" by Paul Van Valkenberg. It is one of my prized possessions. I understand it was just rereleased, I have a first edition. It will give a full perspective of how these cars were really built. James Garner {Rockford} also drove for Hall. If I ever get to Texas that is a definate stop. Thanks for posting.

16. Stroked

Stroked
    from DFW, TX

I'll definitely check it out.

Someone also pointed me toward this DVD (narrated by Jim Hall and Sam Posey):

link: CAN-AM: The Speed Odyssey

[​IMG]

Trailer: http://www.canamfilm.com/flash/canamTrailerNew3.swf

17. blackout

blackout

Engineering marvels.

18. speed-kings

speed-kings

Got the chance to meet Jim Hall back in '75. I just came across the autograph he signed for me.

19. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

Stroked, I spent 200 bux that day. the old gals in the museum thought I was nuts. I bought shirts for the family, a poster, a book, a dvd... alot of stuff. The book I bought was the only one and on display in the window. I nabbed it too. When I got home I had a nice surprise, autographed.

Attached Files:

20. Thanks for this thread Stroked. Lotta interesting stuff @ HAMB.
    These cars I could look at 4 days from the tyres up but from the pics you see that the body work is beautiful & astounding in it's crafting. Can Am rocks !

21. My Mom and Dad took a trip West to Cali in the late 60's. They stopped at a gas station (I think near Riverside) and one of the "66" Chapparel cars was on an open trailer. They were gassin up the tow vehicle when he snapped a pic. Beautiful cars

22. diceman

diceman

The Man Himself!

Attached Files:

23. Simply GORGEOUS. Definately NOT OT

24. rick finch

rick finch

How could those beautiful race cars be considered O/T???????????? Jim Hall and the "boys" were RACERS!

25. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Here are some from Monterey 2005

Last one is what happens when Jim Hall leaves the pits..:)

Attached Files:

26. Not O/T at all, those are just some fine old "Texas Hot Rods" in my opinion.:D