Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects HELP!!!!! '49-'54 chevy king pins!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ttarver, Nov 4, 2008.

1. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

OK I am starting to feel like a dumb ass. I am trying to replace the king pins on the '54. I have removed the swedge bolt, the clips on each end of the pin and the caps, and the grease fittings. Now I have been pounding the shit out of these things for an hour and they won't budge. I tried heating it with a propane torch and still no movement. WTF!!! AM I CRAZY why won't they drive out. They should'nt be this tight. Some one help me before I take the hammer to the rest of the car and pound this thing to a PULP!!!:D

Thanks a ton!

T.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

soak them in something, then get a bigger hammer.

3. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

Got 'em soakin' in wd40 now. Probably not the best stuff for the job but it's all I had. We'll see how it works. Whats weird is the fact that this car is in good shape (driver) and the last set I did was on a basket case that had sat for years and they came right out with just a couple o' taps!!!

4. motorsportsaddict

motorsportsaddict
    from Smyrna, GA

Get some PB Blaster. I soaked the ends of the drag link on my 52 F1 in it and it worked. For heat, you may want to use MAPP gas too which burns hotter. Also makesure you don't have any weight on the spindle.

5. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

use a large hammer smack that shit as hard as you can

6. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

you need to heat the shit out of them with acetalyne torches. propane won't get them hot enough. you need a drift slightly smaller then the king pin and a nice size ball peen hammer. there never easy to get out.

7. Rockit53

Rockit53
    from Berwyn, IL
    1. 37-38 Chevys

I had to press out one of mine, thought I'd be able to use a regular socket since they are slip fit and all, broke the socket apart. Not the best idea, but whatever. Tried soaking it in pb blaster, tried heat, nothing worked. The one side, a little pb blaster and a hammer, no problem. So if you have a press or know someone who does, you might have to resort to it.