Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

NHRA tech, I gave that guy some of those photos. I'll be pulling some off and posting them.

2. NHRA tech

NHRA tech

Thats good because some of the photos open in a giant size, way too big for the screen.

3. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

is that the one you can see from I-65 on the left going north?

4. Here's one of Freddy Fryar. He's my neighbor.

5. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

really? he ran with us alot at huntsville speedway. always a class act! cool guy also.one of the smoothest drivers i've ever seen!could flat put a race around a track,any track. where do you live?

6. Little Rat

Little Rat

This tread is highly addictive.

7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

is that the one you can see from I-65 on the left going north?

Indeed it is, just off to the west of the interstate.

8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

dang i come to the 'ville' every year for the street rod nats. used to go out to the track that was south of l'ville.just really hadn't thought about that one.(only seen it once,on my way to indy,years ago) but i'll bet you if i live and the creek don't rise i'll be there next year:D

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

B.A., if you're passing through southern Kentucky on I-75 on a Saturday next summer, stop and see us at Corbin Speedway.

10. We live in Cassville, MO. Hour east of Joplin, and hour sw of Springfield. You are correct, he is a great guy. I own a const. co. and this year I built a simple go kart track on his place for his and family's pleasure. We are supposed to team up and build an old Ford he has soon. I am looking forward to the opportunity since I'm just a "Zeke from the creek" nobody. He has much memorabilia, I'll see if he'll let me grab a few old pics and stuff and post 'em. It's cool that the late country singer Marty Robbins used to race wearing Freddy's suits cause he would tell his wife he was just going to the races and not "racing". It's a real pleasure to listen to Freddy's stories, he has a great memory. In the meantime, here's a Chevelle I built and raced...

11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Absolutely right about Freddy Fryar. Got to know him during the ASA/All-Pro days. A real class act.

12. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

his brother's son tim fryar raced with us a few years back.did ok. bobby,freddy and their late brother harold all raced back when you could use good old common sence,and a little ingenuity and be fast! before the days of cubic dollars$ thanks big john i'll take you up on that

13. His son is the current shop foreman if that's the correct term, for the Cat 22 Nascar team.

14. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

It was a 57 and he ran a 312 Y block Ford and I think a 3 speed manual trans. but I'll have to ask my dad about exact model and trans.

15. txtom

txtom

That was the Bill Ellis owned car Freddy is in. It raced 3 times in 1970, Freddy at Talladega, and Richard Brickhouse drove it at the two Daytona races.
    And you are right, Fryar is a great guy, I hung around his pit, and he hung around our shop a lot back when he was in Texas racing.

16. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Slightly off topic, but couldn't resist after I found this. This one's for you, NHRA Tech. It's a young "Starter Johnny" (25) at the Fairgrounds.

[​IMG]

17. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Back on topic - this is Jack Bowsher on the inside in one of his own Fords and Roger McCluskey on the outside in one of Norm Nelson's Plymouths at Salem. They obviously used the same Plymouth for the dirt tracks, because it still has a windshield wiper. Also, the tape under the window on Bowsher's car is because it had been driven in the previous race by Foyt, and it still had his name on it.

[​IMG]

18. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

would that be clint?

19. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

I stand corrected. My dad says it was a 58 fairlane running a 312 with 3 speed manual trans.

20. No, it's Mark.

21. lawman

lawman

Johnny, Have anymore pictures of Roy Wathen, Andy Hampton,Jim Robinson, Bobby Watson or Buddy Ward?
    What was that fellows name at the Sports drome who drove the red 1958 Olds vert " Was it Jack McDonald.?
    Spent many a weekend night at the old Fairgrounds track
    between 61-66. Thanks for what you have posted

22. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Lawman, it was Jack McDonald in that Olds, if I recall correctly. I'll see what I can find on those other drivers. Found a good photo of Roy in the 64 Chevy yesterday.

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Lawman, here's the photo of Roy in the 64. Where is Flaherty?

[​IMG]

24. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

And here's one of Bobby Watson's 64 Ford. Wasn't as strong as his 62, but he did win an ARCA race at Salem with it.

[​IMG]

25. saratoga56

saratoga56
    from NY

Purple Hog; 55 Ford w/dual quads. I ended up at the man who owns this house looking for parts. My brother and I spent a few hours chatting with him. The ol' timers have so many stories and knowledge.

26. lawman

lawman

Johnny, GREAT pictures.Always liked to see the Sports Drome guys run against the Fairgrounds drivers.loved to watch the little guys like Bill Kimmel and Virgil Oaks.My main man was always Roy Wathen in the VV cooke 58 chevy.Thanks again for the pictures and Flaherty is in Meade county near Fort Knox.

27. Is this the night Joy Fair beat up on all the NASCAR Boys?
    George

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  28. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Not at this race. Butch Miller led this one all the way.

29. butch27

butch27

That's another Michigan driver. One of the best!

30. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, he was. I've got a neat story about him at IRP I'll have to tell on Frontstretch.com one of these weeks.