Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My wife is at it again, and I have pics to prove it!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

I just read about 4 bangers in either street rodder or rod and custom, keep a look out for a crashed saturn or pontiac roadster, they have the ecotech, a 5 speed and rear wheel drive. Bascially everything you'd need except a shortend drive shaft:D.

2. skwurl

skwurl

Skwurl likes a lot! Cute kids too!

3. Hellfish

Hellfish

No wonder none of my Metric wrenches were working very well!!

She keeps saying that she "has nothing to contribute". :rolleyes: I say "you built a gorgeous car in NINE MONTHS, and then DROVE it to Maryland!!" She just shrugs.

4. 2Coupes

2Coupes

Too Cool, I almost bought one two years ago. Neat little ride.

Attached Files:

5. ### Oh yes all the nuts and bolts share this goofy pitch on the threads too !! The Lucas Wiring thing is just a joke ! Ask Meatball >>>>.

6. Paul Y

Paul Y

I had several Minors including a Traveler, sort of like a woody.

As others have already mentioned they have a torsion bar type front suspension which, if the floor is rotted through lifts the front seats to let you know when you are in trouble going around corners. Please, ask me how I know....

If you want to hop up the existing lump get a book called Modifying your Mini by David Vizard.

It is the same engine and you will be amazed at simple no cost things make a differance.

Simple things like splitting the inlet manifold from the exhaust so that the incoming mixture is not super heated, skimming the head by 30thou to up the compression, fitting 1 3/4SU carbs... Ah the happy days of Mini ownership is all rushing back...

As others have said the MG Midget stuff just bolts on giving you front disk brakes and a 1275cc screamer.

Quite a popular upgrade was an Alfa twin cam and 5 speed box which fits without too much surgery, as is the fitment of a Rover/Buick 215 V8. There is a really hot one over here running a twin turbo set up that is campaigned in hill climbs and auto tests etc.

Good luck and enjoy, they are fun little machines and judging by your wifes previous record this is going to be a very nice car when she is finished.

P.

7. i served my apprentiship on these cars if you need a metric spaner thats a vw pretending to be a moggy but if you need spanners to fit this motor you will need a combination of whitworth and imperial 1/4 and 5/16 is the most common sizes used and as for trunions well its a education in itself

here is a pic of one i mot,ed last week never been welded never been out in the rain nice little car
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Been there and done that on the torsion bar under the seat. Scary when one comes loose.

I broke a crank in one and bought a replacement from w pick & pull for $25.00. If I remember right I bought bearings through a Buick dealer.

If I remember right you and the missus had a bad time on the way home from the Cinematic year before last? Have to keep good maintenance up for carrying those two angels in the back.

9. chrislehr

chrislehr
    from Austin, TX

semaphores, right?

10. Hellfish

Hellfish

yep. :( There's no way this car is going anywhere with the girls until it's fully reliable... and has new wheel studs!

11. My 50 chevy sedan delivery was originally the same light green on top as on your wife's car...it's grown on me through the years.
    Regarding your Morris:
    Jangleguy is a HAMB member and my younger brother. He's got over 20 years in his 61 Morris. 2X4 retangular tube frame, late 60s opel GT front suspension, steering and steering column. 377 chevy with tricked powerglide and a mopar 3.75" locked rear with 3.91s...
    Best of 10.32 at a tic over 130. It's his baby.

Attached Files:

12. camargma

camargma

nothing to contribute!?!?! thats crazy talk!!! theres even a ladies on the hamb group she could check out once and while, and then maybe she'll be more hooked than you are!!

cute babies too! :)

13. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

Ok now, dig the morris stuff out.......:eek: I have been in the morris
    registry sence 77 or so, if you need parts pm me and I can send ya some info I have had morris's, hillman's and the like, small cars go well with V-8's
    I picked up a parts car just for fun, some how it wound up in the garage and got a rebuild and the roof cut, it's got a 1275 in it with a rib case trans the stronger ones

also the flippers on the side are called trafficators (spelling ?) and
    both my cars have the fill in pieces I once found a pair for 100 bucks
    used, I should have picked them up, as they are hard to find.

Roach

Attached Files:

14. I had to make the same kind of card the first year we displayed our Fiat sedan Delivery at Carlisle. Every other nimrod walking by called it a V-Dub.

15. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

its called a trafficator, and it actually flips up.

16. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

cool....the battery box is bigger than the motor

17. the motor is an A series austin....as fitted to MG midgets up to 76...in the Morris it's gona be around 1000cc...MG midget is 1275 cc with bigger valves etc...they will go out to 1380 and even to 1480 with off set bores....a turbo is easy and MG did car in the 80s called the Metro that came from the factory with a simple blow through turbo...
    I had an MG Midget with a built 1275 that ran 120mph and 17 sec 1/4s.....also had a 1275 Mini with an even more built motor that eat VW golf GTIs and topped off at 125 (in a car 10 feet long and 4 feet wide!!)...
    a popular (and cheap mod) for Minors is a Fiat twin cam and box....trust me they do fly some what with 140 bhp....go on www.nsra.org.uk (join to post!) lots of experience with minors on there...also do a google search for Morris Minor and Beardmore Brothers... for a serious road racer low lite minor......
    lots of V8s have been shoved up minors over here and chopped, couped, sectioned full Kustoms etc...so check us out for ideas....and also see daisy dukes thread on here for a roof chop!!

18. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Hellfish, Nice Minor I've had a couple in the past.The Fiat/Lancia twin-cam fits a treat, as others have said they do rot like a Bugger!
    :DI'd like another Minor but my Wife says ''NO!'':D
    Look forward to seeing the progress.Nice mild Custom with a Flake roof, perhaps?

Nick.

19. ken fohn

ken fohn

I know where there is a 1959 Anglia in a Texas backwoods junk yard. Still has motor and still ran when it was parked. [email protected]

20. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Ha ha I know this guy. Goes like a bat out of hell. Needs a paint job.:eek:

21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Beautiful Chevy, Beautiful home, Beautiful wife and Beautiful kids = Blessed Man

22. That is so cool for her!

23. Funny about my home town. To this day there's not a Honda or Toyota dealer but back in the 50's there was a Morris Minor dealer. He was a shirt tail cousin of mine and I used to drive one around. It was fun as hell but like the other dude said "a bicycle would out run it" ..

24. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Hey Hellfish, I've been looking for your wife's build thread. Know where I can find it?

25. jroberts

jroberts

Like has been said the late Sprite/MG Midget's used that motor in a 1275cc configuration. I believe the Europeans actually had one that went up to 1300cc. The Mini-Cooper S of the same period was a hotter engine though basically the same that that in the Spridget. The advantage of the Spridget set up is that is a rear wheel drive configuration. Though those cars are long gone, there are still lots of them around and speed parts are very common. The turbo idea is one that is worth considering, imho. The Morris Minors also have been raced in sedan classes both here and in Europe. The Mini was faster, but still there were, and I assume still are, some upgrades for handling available for the Morris.

It is indeed a cool little car. They came not only as a sedan, but also there were convertibles, Travelers (station wagons), pickups and panel trucks.

26. Pretty hard to beat this car if you want a Kustom!

[​IMG]

27. JamesG

JamesG

28. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

That is the best looking Minor I've ever seen......mabey I shouldn't have sold mine to your wife!

29. Another engine option is the datsun 1200 motor ( that is the engine most aussies swap in, cheap easy swap, probabally not HAMB friendly). I helped a friend put the datto motor in one for his girlfriend, it fit in like it was almost made for it. Good luck to your wife on the build, cool car.

30. Hellfish

Hellfish

yep

Here's the 51 build log

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130025&highlight=bel+air

and the final pics of the car here

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194331&highlight=bel+air

Too late! :D
    That is a really cool custom, but she's 6' and I'm 6'5"... I don't think we could fit in a chopped Morris!