Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Remember why I hate car shows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Bel Air came out in 1950.

Another factor was the new 1950 Bel Air, America's first low-priced hardtop coupe. Buyers couldn't get enough of it. Like the pioneering 1949 Buick, Cadillac, and Olds hardtops, this junior edition sported lush trim that included simulated convertible-top bows on the headliner. It debuted as a top-shelf Styleline DeLuxe priced at $1741, about $100 below the ragtop, but it outpaced the convertible by better than 2-to-1 with over 76,000 first-year sales.

2. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

bah...bah....we all know who builds theirs, and who drives one......I build go cars, NOT show cars.....You can smell bull shit a mile away, it's not changed in 30 years I have been doing this, its my life, not just a car....Ease up, you'll live longer....

3. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

That's the fun of car shows. Listening to people who know nothing talk like they know everything. People who can, have, and actually build cars rarely comment on other people's work.

4. ScottyVenture

ScottyVenture

Hell, I just wish there were more car shows in NC. I'm such a noob that everything is cool.

5. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OMG Im not alone.......its 2008, not 1958 :)

As for shows, I like looking for cool stuff and commenting on that. You'd be surprised what you can learn or see for the 1st time, even on something you would never own.

6. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

I've been flat out told my 84' monte carlo shouldnt be allowed in to the local 'all around' show, by a guy in a 03' or somewhere close corvette.
    told my 49' truck was something an 18 year old should not be allowed to have.
    yelled at buy a guy for having a 454 in a F1.
    and best yet, had a conversating with a guy for about 15 minutes, (compleatly wanted to stop him at 1, then was laughing at what he said), about "What HE would do to my monte carlo if HE owned it..." then after said, "Actually its a piece of shit, id never drive this bucket."
    thats why i just hang with the club, and keep my mental words from solidifying.

7. The people I hate the most are the douchebags and their fat wives in every color of 2008 corvette..... Pulling in the local cruise night and taking up every single spot with their repulsive corvette club..... You know, the same people that wouldnt dare spin a tire because it would decrease the value of their fiberglass piece of shit, driving in the fast lane at 55 mph....... WOW!!!! look! another BRAND NEW corvette with a dealer plate and window sticker on it! Whew! I am sure glad they brought this beauty, I havent seen one of these in 5 ft! If I wanted to see a 1984 corvette that is silver like every other one I have ever seen, still running on the factory oil, I would watch miami vice or Magnum PI or some shit like that.....

8. Lucky77

Lucky77

This topic sure gets hashed to death. Personally I'm glad there's lots of guys who don't get it. More vintage parts for us. A prime example was at a small local show held every other Friday night here in town during the Summer. This weird little guy wearing a sweatshirt with one of his street rods screened on the front walks up to me.

"Man this thing is cool, I see you all around town with it." I tell him thanks. He replies "Yeah I've got a 29 sedan but it's a real hot rod, not a rat rod like this." So I ask him "Oh really? And what makes your's a real hot rod?" He says "Well it was built in the sixties." "Well where is it?" I asked getting a little aggitated. "Well it's not here, its all taken apart in my barn."

I simply said "Okay I think we're done here" and walked away. Pure idiot, but no reason to fly off the handle and get all pissed off. I get "Cool rat ride or rat rod" all the time along with "What color you gonna paint it?" But I also get tons of compiments from people who get it and really dig the car. The good outweighs the bad by far.

9. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

Hey, cool rat rod! How many skull decals are you going to put on it?

10. skwurl

skwurl

GOLDCHAINERS! I love goldchainers. Thet make me look way cooler. I love it when people pass by 100 k cars to check out my pile. Youre right they will never get it. They probably traler their junk everywhere.

11. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

took my 55 wagon to a show last year where they were doin an episode of "my classic car" deffinatly NOT one of the nicest or shiniest cars there. but outta close to 1500 cars, mine was one of only six they used for the show. you wanna see a bunch of angry and confused lookin high dollar car owners? that was the day.

12. Spike!

Spike!

A true car show to me is when your car is finally finished after you've been working on it for months or maybe years. Many late nights of wrenching and sometimes staring at a mocked up project. Going broke from putting every spare penny into it, and then, when it is finally able to make its first trip around the block or to the gas station to fill up, or maybe even make it as far as your buddy's garage, when your friends hear the news and begin heading over, walking around the car and smiling in approval. Maybe even busting your balls about this or that. Then, standing back and looking at something you did with pride.

That's a car show.

Spike

13. i know what you mean and unfortunately thats the way our hobby is heading.
    ignorant non car guys buying their way into cool rides.
    im not going to sit here and kiss their asses like a lot of people who are making money off them on this site because im sure they willl be along directly to argue on the gold chainers' behalf.
    with the economy going bad people with real jobs(working with their hands and building cars) are getting laid off in droves.
    hell, i was just cut down to 32 hours a week.
    things being as they are people are starting to sell off cars.
    guess whos buying them?
    pencil pushing,numbers crunching,deck shoe wearing,never get dirty fags.
    ive seen these assholes at car shows walking around ripping on homebuilt cars,gold chains and rolexs a swingin,smoking cigars,wearing their perfectly pressed white shirts,dockers and deck shoes thinking theyre cool and it sickens me too.
    amen brother!

14. I have always liked going to shows,,, even to this day.

Nowadays you have restorers,rat rodders,customs and traditional cars,I have ALWAYs leaned toward the traditional prewar styles,but thats the cars I prefer and will take the time to check out closer.

If a guy wants and builds/buys a classic high dollar numbers matching car thats fine with me,,,his money his time.

I never understood the cry baby dolls or stuffed animals,,

I have friends that own all types of cars and I have been building and driving long before some of you guys were born,,,so yeah,I'm a graybeard.

Does that make me a goldchainer?,,I don't think so but I have been called one by a few guys here,,,bother me? Hell no,,I hope when they get to where I'm at they will be a little smarter than they are now!.

Everybody don't think the same,,,thank God!. HRP

15. It is the same all over. I go to Cruise nights and shows to visit with old friends I dont normally get to see anymore. I have had guys say that motor is from D &D a eastern shop when the plaque on the car clearly says Motor by Big-D *my local nickname from the 60s and 70s) and it was my motor. I have had guys tell me my Max wedge isnt a 426 because the sparkplugs dont go into the valve covers. I have been told my Nascar intake should have three holes at each end by people who have never seen such an intake in their life (37 made) I have beeen told my 1/4 eliptic front suspension on my dragster wont work even though I have run it several times and it goes as straight as an arrow and they just saw it run but dont understand it or front end geometry and principals. I have been told my pushbutton trans is electrically operated even though I do my own trans and have for many years. I am constantly told I should have my vaccum advance ge hooked up and not plugged. I am told constantly you cant put big tires on a 63 to 65mopar even though mine is sitting in front of them with 285X70X15 BFG which are absoutley huge and the wheel wells are bone stock unmodified and ride height is normal. As mentioned before i am often told so and so got his engine from "The States "even though I built it and it came from my shop and I have also been told Dulmage (me)built that motor when I had nothing to do with it. After being totally frustated and mad like you are at the moment I took a new path. I go to what I want when I want. I try to move around to keep from being hassled and if I hear a conversation starting that i know i might not like I move on to another spot. I have decided NO ONE is going to ruin my enjoyment of the hobby either at the drags or at the cruise ins. I do my very best to avoid idiots and occasionally if confronted will dump the whole load and they avoid me after that in most cases. I dont know why it is like it is but it is. Still it is a great hobby and I have made a lot of old friends over the 40 plus years I have been fooling around with Hot cars and such. Try not to let them get you down. I know occasionally they will but for the most dont let idiots ruin the enjoyment of your hobby. Three of us who live near each other save a spot for each other at cruise night. That way we have at least a neighbouring car and people we can get along with.
    Don

16. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

The rules probably stipulated that to be in the "original" category it had to have less than 3 modifications.

Same thing with the custom... more than 3 modifications...

stupid... but that is the way its been at some local shows I've judged.

17. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

Car shows just plain SUCK! There are buyers and builders. I'm builder, and prefer to spend time with builders. Builders are real car people and buyers for the most part are wanabes. There are some real car people that are not physicaly able to build and I respect that. I have more respect for some kid driving a beatup jalopy than I do for a rich dude in a Corvette. Just my 2 cents, no big deal, we need the wanabes to support the guys who build cars for them.
    Dave

18. Kerry67

Kerry67

To me I don't care if you bought or built your car, just don't be an ass and rip on someone else's car. I myself don't like all the billit, giant rim, Boyd Coddington - Chip Foose type cars so I just skip past them. If that is what you are into, fine, just not my style. I like old cars to look old with period correct parts. I hate to see 50's cars with digital dash, modern interior and HUGE rims. Spoils the car for me no matter how nice the work is that went into them.

19. Then again, maybe JimC's friends are all girls....:p

No real complaints about the few car shows we attend here.
    Perhaps cuz all these desert rats are pretty laid back to start with.

Last car show I was in, it rained all day.
    Light to moderate to hard.
    There were some seriously nice gold chainer looking cars there, but they stuck it out to the end.
    Geez, rain is such a treat out here, that when it was light to moderate some of the guys and gals were standing around in the stuff.

My favorite was the elderly gentleman in the blown BBC T-Bucket that developed some serious power.
    He was there all day.

Must have been fun to herd that hard running little roadster home in the rain.

My favorite show so far this year - besides the Route 66 Fun Run that's three days of hot rodding - was Viva Las Vegas.
    Not too crowded, but still, plenty of interesting folks and cars there.
    We didn't enter cuz we were on a mission.

You know how that goes, in the Big City, hit Harbor Freight then Bass Pro.

Never been to a Bass Pro?
    Disneyland for the outdoors types and damned interesting for the rest of us.

Only peculiar comment I keep overhearing about the big ol Buick (462") in my roadster is that it's a Hemi.

Heck, I'll take that, how much more rare could it be....:cool::D

20. LongFord

LongFord
    BANNED

but you guys dont have to worry about boyd..he wont be building much anymore.......:eek:

21. rusty48

rusty48

I know a lot of guys on here hate rat rods,but you gotta love it when people crowd around to look at them and the slick street rod guys are sittin there watching and you know it's burning their ass.

22. torchmen49

torchmen49

"Contracting" the fucken thing out is NOT building your own ride!!! I'm so tired of hearing.... "Thats the car he's been building for the last 3 years".... It's more like, " Thats the car that he's been subcontracting out for the last 3 years....but holds the title for. Read, learn, do it yourself. If someone else can do it, so can you. My 2 cents.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  23. htweelz

htweelz
    from Maryland

Our club puts on shows and people are such idiots. I love the trophy whores. We said we should just charge $20 to get in and give everyone a trophy as they come in that way they can all win. I enjoy cruise nights more than shows. One they are free and two you can come and go as you please. Plus people bring out their running projects and you always see diverse rides.

24. I agree that there are far too many car owners that have no idea what they're looking at, talking about and only have a small amount of knowledge of what they're driving since they didn't build it.

I'll go to shows like Lead East and the Rumblers, but skip other shows unless they're very local. I have more fun at cruise nights in parking lots.

I had never heard the term "gold chainer" before I joined here and it fits so many people so well. The toy dolls draped over the fenders should be doused with lighter fluid and torched.

Bob

25. roddinron

roddinron

For Gods sake, this thread should have died 3 years ago, please mods, pull the plug and end the suffering.

26. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Can't build,paralyzed.Kustomizing my Panel,my ideas,my money,someone elses hands&skills.Goldchainer?Maybe some people don't get a choice.:confused:

27. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hey didn't realise this had been bought back from the grave,sorry:eek:

28. Sometimes it is fun to go to a show and just listen to all the "experts" talk loudly and showing how little they really know. I know Mopars like the back of my hand, but it never ceases to amaze me how many 440 hemis I hear about or original '68 Runners came with 440 six packs in them. I have learned not to correct people unless they are completely over the top, and even then I usually bite my tongue.

I can understand some confusion with early Fords - if you were new to rods you might think that Model A's came with 350 chevys in them!

29. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

lol, true on so many levels.

this may be an old thread but i'm sure this issue has been around for decades.

at the end of the day, who gives a shit, lets not lose any sleep over it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.