Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Remember why I hate car shows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayD

JayD

I hate car shows too. Who the hell wants to sit around all day waiting for a cheesy trophy, and watching a bunch of car guy wannabes talk shit in the hot sun. I love the cruises though.................and parking your car at some hot dog stand all night long is NOT a cruise. I wanna DRIVE IT!! That's what it's all about IMO.

And everytime I'm near my car I just wait for someone 'that just doesn't get it' to ask what color I'm gonna paint my car.

JayD

Attached Files:

2. Hey!! When did you meet my mom?!?!?!

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Because there was psychobilly and punk rock in the 50's. I LOVE doo-wop and vocal group harmony. I'd rather hear the Jesters and the Moonglows than "Born to be Wild" or some other shit.

Lack of respect is what runs people out of cars shows and both age demographics are at fault. I just reread the thread on Lead East from last year, and a bunch of peopel were criticizing it, calling it a "vericose veins show". Show some respect for the people who INVENTED traditional rods and kustoms. Bill Hines and Gene Winfield are old too, but nobody says shit about them, nor should they. I'm 21, and when I talk to the old guys, I'm all ears. I have a lot to learn from their experience and knowledge.

Conversely, older people, goldchainers, etc, should respect the younger crowd that is going to carry the torch on after they're gone. I had an old-timer hovering over my '57 at a cruise night, then turn to me and say (not realizing it could be my car), "A Mopar in a Ford, that's worse then being gay!" I walked over, pulled the key out of my pocket, fired it up and rapped the pipes...and he walked away feeling like a real asshole.

Respect is a 2 way street.

4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Real hotrods are meant to be driven not shown. If the show doesn't involve at least one hundred miles, I ain't going and neither are any of my buds and you can bank on it................ This bashing thread has gone on enough. You guys need to take a drive.....

5. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

I Bet There Frames Were Boxed!!!

6. 19customline54

19customline54

HEY! I have a boyd build HOT ROD and it's a damn fine car. I payed $185,000 for it and take it to many shows in a covered trailer. i have 65 first place trophies and 1 second place trophy from the Riddler show. it's an all hand built #'s matching 57 chevy with a chevy 350/350 with digital guages billet 20's rear and billet 19's up front and a $3000 sterio that is so loud you can't eaven hear the motor runnung. it's amazing, the frame is chromed, and the inside of the fender wells are finish painted to match the roof.... CLEAR COATED AND EVERYTHING. beat that rat rodder!

HAH! just kidding. I have a 54 ford with a 223 straight 6 that i've been building MYSELF for about a year now. it might go to a show at some point, but simply because it's kindof a family reunion thing more than anything else... I'm with you fellers though. I have a hard time with all the beer gutted neo-rodders who pay top doller for a finnished car and act like they're hot shit in a car that runs Great but never see's the road because it might FREAKIN RAIN! , w/ the fat middle aged wife who thinks "it's so great to have such a preaty car, and don't I look cute in it, but does it have to be so damn loud, and when are we gunna put a radio in it?that gets more than just AM stations."

GO F#*% YOURSELF! GET OFF YOUR ASS AND BUILD SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF!!!

sorry.. got a little carried away there. but i'm sure most of you agree.:D

7. Big Tony

Big Tony

I had a lot of helping rebuilding my 54 from friends and had to pay to have the rear end welded up, but for the most part i did a lot of the work and it comes with pride. I could never and will never understand bragging about a car you bought and you can't even say you have done anything to it.... or had any in put on the build

8. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

come to pistons and paint this weekend and see a show that will restore your faith in car shows

9. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Gee another 3 year old dead thread brought back up by an FNG.

10. roddinron

roddinron

I don't, I enjoy building cars probably more than driving them, but it's hard dirty work, and I don't blame a lot of the guys who are my age and older for having different priorities than me. Maybe they built a business they're proud of, and don't have time to build a car. They worked hard for their cars too, just not in the garage, sometimes I think of the amount of time I've spent studying and playing with cars and wonder where I'd be if I used my brain for something else. I could never enjoy driving or especially showing a car that I didn't build, but that's just me. I really doubt that ALL the people with high $ bought cars are assholes, but some certainly are. There are as many reasons to own a car as there are people, and I know a lot of assholes who built their own cars too. Some people want attention for the money they have, and some want it for the skills they have. Lighten up and have fun, life's short.
    PS,
    you sure dug deep to find this thread!

11. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Put a nail in it. Close this piece of shit thread.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  12. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

now on the other end at the socal open house in vegas there was a RAT I mean 20's RAT p/u THING that had swasticas painted small but along the door at the body line.

My fiance was wondering what that was all about and was offended....

I dont know what is cool about swasticas

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I learned many years ago..Just to stop listening..
    worked for my now X-Girl friend and will work on anyone wining about what they got or how yer shit aint this or that..
    selective hearing goes a long way

14. hey.
    it depends on what kind of show you go to, lets point that out.

15. I went to a Kustoms of America show in NC and they had a secret location where all the posers hid their "rat rod" trailers at the bottem of a hill. THese 50 year old men driving primered cars, but didnt even drive them into the show, they all hid their trailers.

16. roddinron

roddinron

Just thought I'd add this, I hope Kirk! doesn't mind that I borrowed his signature--
    Whining about car shows is the new flat black.

17. Bernardarama

Bernardarama

old issue is old

who gives a fuck build what you build if they want to pay for hot wheels cars to get built let em and dont talk to em

18. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

3 years old thread.

[​IMG]

19. Pothole 31A

Pothole 31A

I used to have a 63 buick it was my first hot rod. i finally got it running i had to put a new cam in it and i had to do some brake work. Well the most proud day i had was when i got to drive it to my first car show. Well when i get there every old car guy is looking at me like i was the anti-christ. It was flat black with scallops and was puffing black smoke. It was low and there were 4 of my buddys in it. well we got out and if everyone didnt come over and ask if it was my dads car. well it wasnt it was mine and nobody belived me. so it just shows you that most guys that are "car guys" really arent car guys they are just posers that dont have respect for kids that actually try and put all there money and effort to live their dream so since then i only have respect for the guys that actually build there cars and no one else.

20. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

I never bad mouth anyones car at shows. I think the only think worse would be talking shit about ones wife or mother. My only negative experience was when an older guy in a fiberglass 32 with a crate motor actually got in his car and moved it across the lot (was next to mine) because my lowly home built '36 Chevy pick-up drew a crowd, and people were walking by his to get a look/picture of mine. I think he called me a something like a "melon farmer grease monkey" Still not sure what he ment by that?;)

21. John50

John50

I thought i was the only one who wonder that...and why are they hiding their faces? Hiding from the embarrassment?

22. duste01

duste01

Bet they're brains were boxed too. This is some funny shit!

Not only can I identify with the "what color" but I can identify with the stupor when I tell them just how much I AM willing to sell it for, which they had no idea it was worth either. just like visa...priceless

23. That is darned funny! We should all try that!:D

24. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do go to small local shows now and then--I enjoy the older folks who really relate to a near stock appearing car--the rest with their 14 color paint,crate motor and swoopy doopy stuff can take a hike
    my2 cents

25. frankly i'd rather walk around a junkyard than go to a car "show"

the pile-up was cool mainly because it was cars i wanted to see... first time i've been to an automotive gathering since i was a teenager...

26. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I went to a show and parked my car. An hour later, a guy walks up and asks why there isn't any paint on my car. I point down the street and say, "Do you see me cleaning this car?". He looks down the street and sees these people on their hands and knees polishing wheels and dusting and detailing bodies and saids, "Hey, you're pretty smart!".

27. GuyW

GuyW

Well, there's car shows, and then there's CAR SHOWS.

Some of my best memories are going to the buy-a-ticket CAR SHOWS in the Concourse in downtown San Diego on Sunday afternoon, mid-60's to early '70s.

Inspected all of the bitchin' FINISHED rods and choppers (BTW, some of the street runners used the now-despised angel hair to hide the gunge under the fenders and undercarriage...I got pretty good at looking past the chrome and hip paint, to see if there was dirt and grease...)

....and hung out till check out time - 10 pm to midnight.

That's when the guys would fuel up the cars, and fire them up....we're talking musclecars set up gasser style, built Cobras, blown SBC T-buckets, street roadsters and early Fords with serious HP...

...and usually involving smoky burnouts and impromptu drag races up Front Street until 2 am...without any sign of the gendarmes...

...I'm dang sure those guys all built their own cars...BUT it was _all about_ the finished cars...if they were bitchin', I didn't care if they paid George Barris to build 'em...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  28. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

That is why there is car shows designed for cars like ours, Billet proof, Rust Revival, Hunnert, Viva, Lone Star, Don't go where you don't fit in like "they" don't come to those. Those shows (for the most part) every one has like interests and get along just fine. I don't go to the Ballet cuz it sucks. If I am dumb enough to go, I can't complain!:p

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  29. svo

svo

Personally, I would like to see a crybaby doll punting contest at like Roundup and or some of the other cool shows.
    that would be bitchin!!
    would have a lot of winners!

Or maybe a carhop tray of food frisbee toss. :D

30. oldsman71

oldsman71

yep nothing like getting roped into seeing stick-like chicks dance with dudes with giant potatos in there pants:eek: !!!! i took a walk around a local show a while back and I saw some weird stuff, a glass 32 on a oddly built g-body frame:eek: a stock mini van with about 50 dash plates on a board:eek: 300 pound dude with a pink 90's low rider:eek: just to name a few. i just went to look kept my thoughts to my self until the ride home!!!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.