Register now to get rid of these ads!

What color should the wheels be?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TAYLOR, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Paint 'em red & I'll personally kick your ass.

Blackwalls on black wheels on a black '39 Standard is a 'shine haulin' dream. Dude, you're from Dallas, GA. Do you have any other choice?

Black wide fives hide the great "bottlecap" detail around the rim though. If you're running wide whitewalls I'd go with a color. Most running wide whites are hunting a little "pop". Black wheels just don't give it.

I was after a coffee color when I had my '38's wheels powdercoated. They turned out considerably lighter than I had hoped. Still, I thought they looked pretty good. Pfordor is running a nice green on his Fordor. I like it a lot. Get too far away from a "stock-ish" color & you'll look all Street Roddy though. That's fine for an interstate-eating long hauler but crazy-ass colored wheels will look odd on a Flathead-powered early Ford.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  2. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

The black looks great... But I've seen a pale blue or green look pretty cool on a '39.

3. If you decide you need the paint formula for "crazy-ass" though let me know.

I have it.

JH

4. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse
    from Arnold MO

I'd go with tan once you get the interior done untill then I'd leave them be looks great

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

matte primer red with extra flattener

6. roddinron

roddinron

[​IMG]

DAMN! Talk about a scrub line problem! You wouldn't even need a blowout, just be a few pounds low.

Anyway, I also like your wheels the way they are. The silver is very subtle and classy. But as someone else said, I'd think about matching the interior (unless it's red :D)

7. roddinron

roddinron

Strange advice from a guy with that avatar.:rolleyes:

8. W Scott

W Scott

Twenty years ago I painted my black, carson-topped 40 convert. with red wheels and as time went by, it seemed everyone with a black car had to follow this thinking. When I put black wheels on my fattie earlier this year - it took on a more sinister feel. Black is conservative, but also a statement maker in my opinion.

Scott

9. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Paint them any color you want, my car is light yellow and I have RED wheels. If people do not like the color tuff S---.
    Your car
    Your money
    Your way Enjoy your car whatever color you pick

10. Gepetto

Gepetto
    from Orange

Who cares what color you paint them!! It's your car, isn't? You have to look at it in your garage and every time you drive it, before you get in you will see them looking back at you. Paint them what ever color you were thinking first. Who cares about public approval!!!!!!!

11. rusty48

rusty48

RED,RED,RED and put some skulls and spider webs on it.

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I used this on my '36 -- red wheels, maroon hubcaps -- and I thought it looked great.
    [​IMG]
    ...but I think I'd still pick black for your car.

13. 19GMC63

19GMC63

I say keep it monochrome... gray, black, silver, gunmetal, ect.
    Gorgeous car btw.

14. Leroy 701

Leroy 701

Black......nice car

15. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Ok I got my wheels painted and new tires mounted. The paint turned out to be a little lighter than what I wanted , but I'm gonna leave it a while and see if it grows on me or till I drop the front end. Sorry about the picture quality but its foggy and rainy here in georgia. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

In my view, you need some contrast to separate the whitewalls from the off-white paint on the wheels. Try the beauty rings you had on the wheels with the old paint; I think you'll like the look.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

what color is the engine?..i would go with that..no reason..just came to me.

18. StrickV8

StrickV8

Lookin' good Taylor. I like a contrasting wheel and think tan looks good with a black car. Saw your '39 at the Creeper's show but didn't get to meet ya before I had to leave. It's nice! Want to come eat some barbecue real soon once I find out where you are!