Register now to get rid of these ads!

what brake light switch for 700R4 use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john walker, Nov 3, 2008.

1. john walker

john walker

the 700R4 has 12V to the lockup solenoid when driving and when the brakes are on, the brake switch drops the 12V so the converter can unlock. i've got a master power brake below floor booster/master cylinder, with a normal hydraulic pressure switch. i don't want a separate toggle switch for the lockup. what have you guys been using?

2. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

Go to the junkyard and pull one from a mid 80s Chevy pickup with cruise control, that's what I'm using, works perfect.

Tickety Boo and mgtstumpy like this.
  3. john walker

john walker

is that hydraulic or mechanical?

4. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

I also use a cruise/brake light switch from a mid '80s Chevy truck like axeman39 does. Here is a link to the one I have in my truck. Brake Light Switch Hope this helps. :cool:

5. sy1356

sy1356

Wire in a normally closed relay. So when you step on brake the relay opens & it cuts the power to the TCC. PM me if you need a wiring diagram.

anothercarguy and mgtstumpy like this.
  6. I know this is an old thread...

I have a question..I have my trans already wired,,I have 12v going to the transmission wire wheather I step on the brake or not...do I have it wrong?
    I test with a light tester

7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

How is it wired? Stock or modified transmission?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. It's a stock transmission.
    I bought the kit from bowtie overdrives and it tells me to tap into the brake circuit..
    I tested the wire that is tapped to the circuit and it's lite up all the time...

9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Here’s your basic TCC wiring.

[​IMG]

If you’re looking at “A”, yes, that’s always hot, and tapping your brake switch in to this will cause the TCC to unlock when you brake.

“B” is optional. You can run it to a toggle switch to request TCC lockup.

“D” in on the ground side of the TCC solenoid, and can be used with an engine vacuum switch to auto lock / unlock the TCC as in any normal OD + lockup transmission car. Note that it is in line with the internal 4th gear pressure switch, so that normal operation is 1-2-3-4-lockup, with lockup only engaging at steady cruise speeds.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

lumpy 63 and Tickety Boo like this.