Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the best hot rod or custom to build for a first timer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Retroharley, Nov 2, 2008.

1. shpotty

shpotty
    from New Jersey

I agree with OfficerFalfa, buy a running, driving car as your first project. Make sure the car is as complete as possible so that you are not hunting for parts that you may never find or have to pay dearly for.

Initial buy-in on "off brand" cars is usually lower than Fords or Chevies, but you can sometimes find yourself paying much more for off-brand parts.

Naturally you should buy something you like and that suits your purposes. If an early '50s Caddy floats your boat, then so be it. But be realistic with your skills, expectations and budget or very simply, don't get in over your head.

Also keep your mind open to less popular body styles. Sure, everybody digs ragtops, but for less than half the money most of the time, you can get a cleaner 4-door that will look pretty cool lowered and leaned on and there's plenty of room for youngsters.

2. locospup

locospup

i built a couple of caddys..the parts are hard to find and expensive...you cant go wrong with a chevy...parts are everywear

3. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

1953 chevy are still economical , very cool. I had a 53 club coupe shot it candy tangerine stuffed a bbc under hood drove my kids around in it when they were babies. It aint gotta be a 55 chevy or a 32 ford to be cool. some pople watch too much american graffiti. ta hell with how they do it in california. ha ha just kiddin west enders ! ! ! id give my left nut for a 32 5-window