Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. JazzyAppleSeed

JazzyAppleSeed

Hey!
    I'm new to this restoration/ discombobulation of old cars stuff. I have a boyfriend whom is very knowledgable, but I would like to learn a bit on my own.
    I just this past week purchased a 1958 Oldsmobile 88 (four door, hard top). The floor is how do you say.. completely rusted out! It needs to get chopped out and replaced.
    Where do I start? Can I find stock floorboards that will mount in with "ease", or is buying sheet metal and tweaking it the best route?
    Any information on how to attack this would be much appreciated.

2. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

welcome to the board, its good to see women being pro-active about their cars and knowledge, send me an email if you want/need any advice.

3. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

4. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Welcome to the board cut out the rust and replace, make sure you get it all cause it comes back.

5. Mopar34

Mopar34

As an owner of a 57 Olds 88 mordor, welcome to the HAMB! Quite a few Olds people here, so jump in anytime.

6. speshul

speshul

Welcome, I have a 56 olds 88. The floors were shot in mine also. Currently I have all the floors cut out and in the process of laying out the new floor. I plan on making all the panels myself. It seems the manufactered floorboards don't cover enough of what I need replaced.

7. JazzyAppleSeed

JazzyAppleSeed

Correction.... It's a post top.

8. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

brave girl go for it

9. JazzyAppleSeed

JazzyAppleSeed

That's probably going to be the best option for me. Rust is a sonofabitch! The bright side is I should be reasonably knowledgable on rust removal and repair when I'm done with my lady. Thanks!