Register now to get rid of these ads!

When I took it apart, I forgot to mark where my radiator is supposed to be....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Okay, I'm wanting to locate the motor on my Dubble A, but for the life of me I cannot remember where exactly the rear/back of the radiator is located to measure back for the front of my engine.

I'm thinking of running a short water pump/fan with little or no spacer (or the forbidden electric fan), and am needing to figure out exactly where to locate my engine.

I figure on setting the cab back a few inches to clear the distributor when the time comes, but for now.....

Can someone tell me how far back from the stock crossmember spring pack centering pin to locate the front of the harmonic balancer? If you could give me an exact measurement, I'll probably add 1/2" to 1" to it to ensure I have more than adequate room, but I don't want to set it too far back.

I've got a Speedway crossmember I'm using for my mounts, but I want to make sure I've got everything where it's supposed to be. I need to mount the motor and trans as this thing may be going into storage for a few months and I want to mount the motor and trans to go with it.

Thanks!

~Gozt

2. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Anyone? Sheesh... frost done came or I'm sure I'd be hearing crickets!

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

The holes on the top of the cross member are the holes that the radiator mounts too i think right? put up there and get the tape out!

4. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Yeah, they are - but they are slotted to a certain amount and I'm afraid I'll have the motor set too far forward. Remember, that asshole Murphy lives in my garage and if it can happen, trust me - it will.

The other thing is that I don't know exactly how far back I need to set it for the accessories that'll be on the front. I've figured I'll probably use a short water pump with either a very short spacer or no spacer at all (if I can get away with it) and use those pulleys. I've already got the dual grooved crank pulley and water pump pulley, and plan to run power steering and eventually A/C for Momma Gozt.

As I said, I don't know exactly where the radiator sat to begin with in those holes and was hoping someone had the measurement I was looking for. As I said, I don't want to get it too far back, but I don't want to get it any farther back than is necessary.

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

Well measure the hood, and see where it hits....

6. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Not to keep making excuses... but the cab is resting against the rear crossmember from when I slid it back out of the way.

Shit, I'm trying to make this somewhat easier - not trying to rebuild the truck to find one simple measurement, just to take it apart again to hang the motor mount.

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

8. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

KMA... peckerhead

9. I would get my radiator set up on the slotted holes and go from there. IMHO FYI if you use a radiator that has an a/c condensoer on it the main radiator will be farther back towatd the engine. I learned this the hard way..

10. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I know ya wanna save some time and a little work, but i'd strongly recommend positioning the cab, engine and trans where you want them and use the hood to show you where the radiator needs to be. this way you'll know. You'll be able to mock-up any accessory brackets on the front of the engine as well as making sure the firewall clearances are set right. It's also a good time to set the steering box and exhaust where they need to be, if you haven't already determined that.

Sometimes a little more work now can save a shit load of work later on in the project.

Murphy lives in my shop,too. In fact, my wifes maiden name is Murphy, but I still can't blame my mistakes with the tape measure on her:D

Spend the time to get it right the first time. It's the most rewarding part of building hot rods.

Rich

11. kustomchop

kustomchop

Do the proper mock-up to guarantee the good fit you are looking. There are times I don't like using anything but the part to be going on the car.

Sometimes its like woman, No Two Parts Are Built the Same

12. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

If the cab sits farther back - which is my plan - then the hood won't fit, and therefore is a non-issue with regard to measuring. I plan on running a custom hood down the road, but that isn't the problem now.

I want my motor (350/700R4) as far forward as possible to keep from having to slide the cab back any farther than I need to. I wanted to be semi-sure where to put the balancer with regard to the spring crossmember. Its a AA frame, so I have NO problem with room sliding the cab back. I just don't want there to be 12" between the radiator and the fan which would make it look stupid as hell.

So... screw it... I'll put the damned thing wherever it falls, guess, and hope it'll be okay from there.

13. spooler41

spooler41

Seems to me if you measure about 2 " to the rear,from the center of the radiator mount holes, you will know where the rear face of the core, will be.
    Hope that helps.
    .......Jack

14. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Jack... yer awesome!

This is just about as perfect of a response as I could have asked for! Now, I can take some angle iron pieces and mock up from the center of the holes and then set my engine into place where I think I want it to be!

Thanks again!