Register now to get rid of these ads!

Acts of kindness on the HAMB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Max Gearhead, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Left to right: SoberToolman, MBL, Roosters Hot Rods, Hotrod Mike, AHotRod & some unknown legs jumpstarting my 11 year old project... about a year and a half ago... Should be firing it to drive for the first time in the next 2 weeks. I know I've said it about a half dozen times on here, but thanks again guys.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  2. That was a benefit for another HAMB member... and the guy that won the auction passed on the trip and I was offered the prize shortly after my Dads funeral.

Repoman (Eric) was responsible for getting me out there for a "Rumblers" show And I've been wearing that "shit-eatin grin" ever since I've met you clowns in NJ...!

"Nobody says it Better than you Nads"...!

I believe that this board has blessed me with another family of knuckleheads that I didn't know existed before.

Ever see the movie "Magnificent Obsession"...????

JUST PASSING IT ON BROTHER...!!!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  3. got to mention:
    Stan292 - for putting in a bunch of work each year for the silent auction at the HAMB drags

ryno - opening his garage each August and also keeping me in the shade

povertyflats - having something cool on the auction block damn near all of the time

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

After I saw you in that miniskirt, how could a guy say no?

5. brewsir

brewsir

ouch...did you mean gay? I still owe ya one big guy!

6. Bugman

Bugman

That's great Jim :) Couldn't have gone to a nicer HAMBer :D

7. How's West-consin Max?

8. Chuck R

Chuck R

Like I have always said ,

This thing is about the friends we make along the way, the cars are just a common thread.

chuck

9. 11secgen

11secgen

man thats awsome! just goes to prove the power of the hamb.i love hearing about stuff like this.
    once i gave away a 31 tudor to a old timer i met at a car show.he said he wanted to build just one more.he is 87 and had a 31 coupe with the roof chopped off he built back in the day.jack from lake county illinois if anyone knows him give me an update.

10. Folks on the HAMB give me stuff all the time.
    But nuthin' that ranks with the good will that you have recieved.
    That just freakin' rocks friend. I'm happy for you.

11. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

There are many acts of kindness that I can think of from Hambers. The one that stands at the top is "Doc" who is the first to help when he can.

12. What a great story . . . just another example of how our community helps and cares for others. I've been helped with information, knowledge and parts by folks on this board (most of whom I've never met) and always try to lend a hand and $$$ when needed.

It is SO COOL what was done for you - what a great effort by some great friends . . . you are fortunate to have the friends you have . . . and they you.

As I tell the guys that work for me:

"You can't help everybody, but you can sure help somebody . . ."

Regardless of the BS and hype in the media, we'll continue to do good things for great people.

Dale

13. Much thanks to Krooser and Bugman for driving well out of their way to get me to the Scrap Drive and Hunnert Car Pile-Up this year. I hope that I can return the favors soon.

Max

14. Couldn't of happened to a better guy........

15. Hey Aaron, it's been a while. Hope you are doing well these days.

Max

16. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

Wow, it seems like Wisconsin is the home of the Hamb!

The good will I have found on the Hamb is unlike any I have seen ever.

The info and tips people have given me has been invaluable. Hotel rooms at the Pile-up, thanks Cliffy and BobK. A rear end for my Buick that I burned up on the way to the Pile-up, thanks Squablow. Cliffy giving up a day at his shop making money to help me pull parts. LoverDude, I mean LouverDude, helping to keep my Buick on the road a little longer. It goes on and on and on......I've met so many new friends. Thanks

17. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

This guy on here goes by the name of "Max Gearhead" asked for my email address. I pm'd it to him and a few days later I got something really kool in the mail. Now I am not sure why he did this but I want to thank him for it because it really made a crumby day/week come to a great end. Its people like him and all the rest of you that make the HAMB a real kool place.

I have seen the Kropdusters and Vagabonds go out of their way to help each other and also anyone else in need. Great bunch or guys. I could list a few pages of names for this thread and probably leave someone out by accident. I can't even remember who I talked to at my first HAMB Drags (06) right after I got out of my pick up. It was about 1:30 am saturday morning and this guy just talked to me like we had been buddies for ever. I went down there only knowing one couple. But everyone treated me like we had been friends for ever. I came home feeling the best I had in a long time.

18. slammed

slammed

Wingnutz is a straight shooter deluxe, FIRM handshake too. This is Thee place to hang. The car's are the connection, the people give it feeling's and soul.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  19. You HAMBrs have some big hearts, which equals a large deposit in your "Karma Bank". I try to keep my Karma account positive but frequent deposits are required.

When I was reading what everyone had done for HamAndy, for some reason my computer screen got all blurry and hard to see. Musta' gotten some carb cleaner in my eyes because they were really leakin'.

I've also been an act of kindness recipient. After my wife's brain surgery she needed my constant attention. Our friends would show up to do "every day stuff", go to the Post Office, mow the lawn, etc... One friend brought over a weeks worth of homemade dinners that she'd frozen.

That's what true friends are all about.......

20. Yup you are one desrving guy. This is life Jim, HAMB as we know it!

21. krooser

krooser

I can't even mention all the HAMB'ers who've made a difference in my life... I probably have made more friends on this board than any other place in my life.

And I've tried to be a good friend to everyone, too. You always get more than you gave around here.

Hats off to Ryan for making this place happen...

22. thanks the hamb i am also able to do things they was nearly impossible for me before i was here on the hamb. The first guy i meet here was Max gearhead who helped me a lot finding parts, taking care for my oversea sendings and and and , I will thank you so much jim and you are the exactly right guy who get this help from others .
    I hope i will make it someday to meet you my friend

23. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Ken/oddrodgarage after only meeting me once or twice before but having chatted via the HAMB; loaned me his car trailer to pick up my 37.
    Good karma, good deeds....It is the only way this world will survive.

24. I got to say A huge thanks to Brandy and Earl Schieb. Brandy put me onto Earl Schieb and Earl Schieb went & picked up the roadster panels I bought off ebay & then sent them to Oz! I'm eternally grateful! :cool: My project would of stalled and probably would of been sold if they hadn't helped.:eek:

& another thanks to Tman for the help he provided in regards to a bad ebay transaction.

25. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I bought some connecting rods here, and had them sent to Tom - 6inarow - he got the pistons pressed off the rods and sent them to Brady - 6T4Duece - who brought them out to Australia in his baggage.

Brady met up with JimBob, who brought them to the city I live in whilst on business. Jamie and I had a beer, discussed some hot rod stuff, and then he flew back home.

All this took about 2 weeks. Fan-bloody-tastic.

Maybe the HAMB's longest relay!!! :)

26. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

That is just awesome! I love the HAMB! And BTW, my b-day is also July 18th. Cool coincidence.

27. sololobo

sololobo

This wonderful site has changed hot-rodding as we knew it for a lot of reasons in my opinion. All the acts of kind help when people traveling to shows and events who have had mechanical problems has really amazed me. It also gives me confidence to take off cross country and feel my back is covered. One of the last that knocked me out was when Ryan was headed North for the Cinematic and his wagon went down, he was rescued within hours, not only help at the scene but a donor ride to continue his quest. There are many many more of these type activities that have gone down. I had a real cool deal at the H.A.M.B. drags when Earl Schieb picked up a short block at the Springfield swap meet and brought it to the drags for me. Unbelievable, and he wouldn't take a penny for all his help. He knows "good carma". And when our home boy Rob Lee had his serious bike accident, the outpouring of help and caring was primo in helping him overcome a life threatning injury. And at a fund raiser held locally fellow H.A.M.B. folks kicked in bigtime for his benefit. I could yap more but I just want to say again. Viva La H.A.M.B. and all of the super cool unity this board represents. Ryan, you have created something super special, and the fellowship is just a reflection of your thinking. Thanks!!! ~Sololobo~

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008

28. Don't forget about the gold chainers!

Yes, we all have wonderful stories about the HAMB. I have my pile of them as well. It is surprising how many down right honest and humble people are on here. I can't think of too many other places where there is such a large pool of talent and great people. Oshkosh Rob and I discussed yesterday how almost nobody in the WI group would know each other if it wasn't for the HAMB.
    Thursday I get a call from a guy I barely know from Green Bay, Rob Paul knows him. He says he has a bunch of lights and asks if I need them for my pole barn. So he shows up with a TRUCKLOAD of halogen vapor lights, most of them like brand new and says here, take them. Would not accept anything for them. WOW! Probably $500 worth of lights if I had to buy them not to mention a bunch of extra bulbs. This is awesome, I will be able to see in my storage building now!!!!
    Hot rod guys are the BEST!!!

It has been said before...PAY IT FORWARD!

29. DROPnDRIVE

DROPnDRIVE
    from New Jersey

One thing you could do is complete the deal you made, and pay the money you owe for the work you couldn't do yourself.

30. autobilly

autobilly

My assez bad after I eat hot Mex, does that count?